Log Case Fans, Header Questions

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I'm putting together an itx build & have a few questions concerning M.Board headers, pwm, & Noctua. As you know fan headers are limited. I want to cool my case with Noctua fans & air cooler. 2-140's in the front, 1-120 in the rear, & possibility a 120 on the bottom, not sure on bottom fan that just yet.

In my atx build I have Corsair, psu, ram, fans, lighting, & aio, & can monitor & make adjustments in iCUE. But how do you accomplish this if you go with Noctua? I've seen builds with Noctua fans in itx cases but never any information on installation with monitoring software.

My M.Board is a ASUS B660i, 1 CHA_FAN, 1 CPU_FAN, & 1 AIO_PUMP. My cooler is a Noctua NH-D12L with 1 fan. I sure would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. TIA...Jp

On another note can all 3 headers be used as fan headers & utilize pwm?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
You can use a 4pins fan splitter to connect 2/3 PWM fans to a single header. You do not want to use more than 2/3 fans on the same header using a non-powered splitter (depends on the how much current the header can provide and how much amps your fans draw).

Another solution would be to use a dedicated fan controller / fan hub.

It's a small box that connects to a PWM header of your motherboard, takes power from your power supply (often using a SATA power or MOLEX conenctor) and provides several PWM connectors for your fans. As it uses an external source of power instead of what's provided by the motherboars header, you can connect way more fans.

Reactions: Jp42nca

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
You can use a 4pins fan splitter to connect 2/3 PWM fans to a single header. You do not want to use more than 2/3 fans on the same header using a non-powered splitter (depends on the how much current the header can provide and how much amps your fans draw).

Another solution would be to use a dedicated fan controller / fan hub.

It's a small box that connects to a PWM header of your motherboard, takes power from your power supply (often using a SATA power or MOLEX conenctor) and provides several PWM connectors for your fans. As it uses an external source of power instead of what's provided by the motherboars header, you can connect way more fans.
I am familiar with Corsair because I have it on my ATX build. I read that you cannot use any other type of fans other then Corsair, I don't see why its just a fan. As long as the fan rpm's are the same I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would think it's the same for Cooler Master, is it possible to use other fans on Corsair or Cooler Master? Your thoughts &/or experiences.

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I am familiar with Corsair because I have it on my ATX build. I read that you cannot use any other type of fans other then Corsair, I don't see why its just a fan. As long as the fan rpm's are the same I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would think it's the same for Cooler Master, is it possible to use other fans on Corsair or Cooler Master? Your thoughts &/or experiences.
Thanks for all the info. I decided to go with Corsair Commander Core XT.