Advice Cooling a 6800 XT with a 3950X in a Raijintek Thetis

kxp

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 10, 2020
Hey everyone, recently I bought a Thetis cases because I needed a small ATX case. After googling around that was the only case one with the dimensions that could fit here, Meaning I am not changing the case. Actually I really enjoy the build quality, it was worth it.

Moving on, after that I end up switching my graphics card to a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6800 XT, and two weeks later to a 3950X.
To finish up the specs, I have an Asus X570 F Gamming, a Seasonic Focus Plus Platinun 850W, 4x Memory sticks 2xM2 drives, 1 SSD, and 1 HDD. I'm providing all the details in order to know what generates heat inside the case.
Cooling wise I have a Corsair H100i RGB XT PRO and 2X Noctua NF A12x15 PWM.

How is it assembled, on the top, I have the radiator, on the bottom I have the two fans. I manage to put the HDD on top by dissembling part of the case. Actually there isn't much to change around.

The first time that I assembled everything, the fans of the radiator were putting air on the case, but that led into high temperatures in the GPU in games and some times they crashed, the games. The maximum temperatures were like, GPU 86ºC and T junction 115ºC, the CPU usually didn't pass 76 ºC. It kinda makes sense when I'm throwing hot air from the radiator into the GPU. In this configuration I had the two Noctua fans throwing out air from the case, bottom, and back.

The second assemble, my current configuration, the radiator fans are pulling out air from the case, and the two Noctua fans are throwing air inside the case. As I was expecting the GPU is a bit better, it never passed 84ºC and usually bellow 80ºC, the T junction reached 114ºC but usually never passed 100ºC while playing. Sadly the CPU reached 96ºC of maximum temperature, this is also expected since I am throwing really hot air from the GPU into the radiator.

By the way, the room temperature is around 23ºC, but its is probably higher around the case.
In the overall the case is hot, I can't measure it but if I am guessing I would say around 50ºC.
I manage to monitor the temperatures while playing due to the multiple screens configuration.
The games that I used were PUBG and Assassins Creed Vahala a t 1440p.
I'm aware that hot air goes up but since the graphics card is huge the air doesn't have much space to flow naturally, check pictures.

I'm considering in selling the 240mm AIO and switch to an AIO with 120mm and put it on back of the case, in order to have access to fresh air. Maybe putting air inside the case?
By doing this I can put the 2X Noctua fans on top to help colling the GPU, in this case I am not sure if put air or taking it out, my first guess is put air inside. This also allows me to use the 3rd PCIe slot which currently is blocked by the AIO. Why is it important? Due to most of times I'm working at home and I have to use some PCIe cards.

The reason of not consider any air cooling it's because the case is small and probably won't have access to fresh air, no front intake. Am I wrong?
I'm almost over, it is important to me to have the lowest noise possible specially when using the CPU, because CPU loads means that I'm working, compiling code, or virtual machines running. In games sometimes I have headphones, it doesn't bother that much

I also tried to enable the eco mode in the CPU, sets the max TDP to 65W, and the things were better, but if possible I would like to keep it disabled.
Finally some pictures.

The post also serves to show that it is possible to fit that graphics card which is a bit bigger than the recommended specs, but prepared yourself to spend at least 2 hours assembling everything.

I'm up for suggestions.

Thanks for reading this massive wall of text.

kxp

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 10, 2020
I forgot to mention that I don't care about the LED's, performance and silence it is more important.
Regarding the small AIO, I was looking into the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120R RGB, I kinda hate the fans thou.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I would go back to your original orientation, top intake and bottom exhaust, and work on under-volting your card for better thermals. Even with access to fresh air, a single 120mm AIO is not enough to cool a 3950X.

The other alternative: custom loop, starting with this. It's an expensive option, but you can get amazing results in a case like this one.

kxp

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 10, 2020
I would go back to your original orientation, top intake and bottom exhaust, and work on under-volting your card for better thermals. Even with access to fresh air, a single 120mm AIO is not enough to cool a 3950X.
I read that the 5950X is a bit cooler, 5ºC and consumes less power, 10W, would a single 120mm AIO be enough for him or even in a 5900X? I am also considering switching to air, like a Noctua-DH15, but I'm not sure if it fits in terms of height and RAM space. There is also the draw back to remove it, I don't know if my hands would fit in there, normal size hands I guess, in case I had to do maintenance.

Beyond the thermal "issues", with quotes because from what I read online, the current temperatures aren't that bad, but tell if they are, the additional reasons are:
  1. I have a friend that is willing to buy my current AIO for a good price for both
  2. To be able to use the 3rd 16x PCIe slot, that is currently blocked.
The other alternative: custom loop, starting with this. It's an expensive option, but you can get amazing results in a case like this one.
When I was a kid I dreamt with that, but now that I can have it I don't want the hassle to maintain it. There is also the risk that something random happen and some water leaks.

kxp

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 10, 2020
I did some under-volting on both and it kinda helped.
Well if it works with those two graphics, it will definitely work with mine :D

I'll do that as soon as I manage to sell the AIO.
At least I will be able to use those 3 PCIe.

Tschungle

Efficiency Noob
Feb 26, 2021
Hey kxp,

I got a similar problem. I own the same case and an i7 9700k, RTX 3070, Corsair RM 550x, MSI Carbon Pro etc...
I have a Raijintek Mya CPU Cooler (which looks fantastic in the case with the RGB) and 2 Raijintek Iris fans (bottom and side)

The problem is, that the newer GPU's will push the really hot air into the CPU Cooler so having an air cooler is really bad. My maximum CPU temps were nearly 90°C and it was so hot inside the case, the windows got foggy cause of the temp difference from out and inside.

After that I removed the side window panel and the temps are really great now. It's quite and the gpu can push the hot air out of the case and the air cooler will never get hotter then 70°C but I want to use the window side panel (dust, dirt etc)

So I just ordered a 240 aio (Arctic Freezer 240) and I will install it in the top)
I'm a bit unsure if I will do push or pull with it but I will try it out. For me, the most logical thing will be pull on the radiator, so the fans are installed into the top and underneath it the radiator. This maximise the gap between the aio and the GPU. Since the GPU is pushing hot air downward into the case, I will use the 2 fans as exhaust. Only downforce here is that I dont got any fresh air intake.