Discussion Component supply shortages

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
I have seen a lot of help requests regarding new builds. With the upcoming Ryzen 4000 there is the should I buy now or wait for the new release.

I am an economist so this is really interesting to me: what if you wait and they are more expensive?

With supply shortages, shipping issues etc

I would love to know if there is anyone in the distribution or production sector for components. Any anecdotal evidence on the subject.

Non PC example. Here in the UK, my neighbor works for a huge food supplier he is having not with lack of food but the companies are unable to source the correct specified packaging. So plastic wrap is causing asmall at the moment supply shortage and hence increasing prices.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've seen food coming (to Belgium) from heavy-hit European countries (Italy, Spain) being a lot more expensive, so I would expect components coming from there also be impacted as many companies were shut down. In Europe, a lot of factories were shut down for about a month.

Reactions: TinyAudio

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
Another great point about pass through. Thank you. Components previously being shipped into hubs (Germany, Netherlands) and then redistributed.

Again a food analogy. Germany is the largest exporter of coffee in the world.