Power Supply Collection of builds using DC-DC PSUs (aka: picopsu, nano-psu, G-unique, ATX plug-in PSU)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
This thread is meant to collect your builds and experience with DC-DC power supplies such as the commonly known plug-in picoPSU.

Here I would only like to collect your builds to show other members (who might be new to this) what is working and what is not.

Please note: in order to keep the collection nice and tidy please refer to the linked build thread or contact the individual OP directly for questions or comments.

If you would like to join, please post your build/experience like the following example:

====================================

• DC-DC PSU: PICOBOX X300MINI
  • AC-DC PSU: DELL 19.5V 330W
  • GPU: RTX2070 (@175W)
  • CPU: 3600X (@65W)
  • Others: 2 fans, 1 SSD

Result: not working / not recommended

Comments: DELL power brick shuts down under full CPU&GPU load, DC-in cables getting really hot

Thread / link to the build: (optional)

Picture: (optional)

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
  • DC-DC PSU: PICOPSU 160XT
  • AC-DC PSU: Meanwell RPS-200-12-C (200W)
  • GPU: Asus GTX 1650 low profile (75W)
  • GPU: AMD 2400G (65W)
  • Others: 0 fans, 1 M.2 SSD

Result: Works great
    Comments: Stress tested with combined Prime95 + Furmark, I've also run this PSU setup with a 1050ti + 2 case fans and I also power an external USB-C monitor with the motherboard header.
Photos:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
  • DC-DC PSU: RGEEK 24pin DC ATX PSU 450W
  • AC-DC PSU: 2x DELL 12V 18A
  • GPU: RTX2070 (@175W)
  • CPU: 3800X (@105W)
  • Others: 3 fans, 1 SSD

Result: working fine

Comments: I've run stress tests with a RTX2070 and 3800X simultaneously (about +/- 300W system power) and didn't observe any problems. At first I thought there could be some issues with the PCIe and CPU power cables because they only use AWG22 but it turned out to be totally fine. The DC barrel connectors connecting to the TWO external DELL power bricks are getting pretty hot but still well below the commonly used 80°C rating.
    If you are looking for some cheap but powerful plug-in DC-DC power supply for a setup with up to 350W power requirement, this could be an option for you. If you prefer quality over price, I would still recommend the G-Unique or Distro400 though.

Picture:

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Nice initiative! Here's mine:

• DC-DC PSU: G-Unique ArchDaemon
  • AC-DC PSU: MeanWell UHP-350-12
  • GPU: Sapphire RX 570 ITX @ +20% power limit
  • CPU: i5-2400 (95W)
  • Others: 3 80mm fans, 1 SSD

Result: working great, highly recommended

Comments:
    PC used to shut down due to OCP with the original Dell 240W PSU (17A or ~204W on the 12V rail) during gaming when it exceeded ~265W wall power draw - that was with a -20% power limit on the GPU. That PSU was also horribly inefficient (only rated at 65% mean efficiency), ran very hot, and had an annoying 60mm fan. New solution is entirely fanless, extremely efficient, and entirely stable. AC-DC PSU is so efficient the heatsink I attached is entirely unnecessary - after 30 minutes of combined CPU+GPU load it doesn't even feel warm. GPU runs at +20% power limit as it can't maintain its stock 1244MHz frequency at stock. Wall power draw with the new PSU is dramatically reduced; down from ~265W gaming with -20% GPU power limit to ~225W gaming with +20% GPU power limit. Been using it as my main/only desktop PC for more than three months now, works perfectly.

Thread / link to the build:
    OptiplRX 570 build thread.

Picture:
    Apparently I don't have a gallery of the "finished" (it's getting there, I promise!) build, but here's the latest gallery from when I installed the PSU.