Clearance Cpu cooler (breath room)

Singular

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
This is maybe a rookie question, but, what its the minimum clearance between the top of a slim cpu cooler and the side pannel of the case?, so the cooler still can breath.
its no vent grill in the side pannel FYI.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That will depend a lot on pressure, airflow and fan-design, but I think 10mm is a good minimum starting point. There are also fans that have open sides, with some having their propeller designed around. They will still not like having a completely closed-off top, so always leave a little room, like 5mm.

None of this is scientific but experience from playing with fans. Which I recommend you to do too to test the results.

Reactions: Singular

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I would agree that 10mm is a good starting point, the question is where the hot air is going to go and where cool air will be coming from. With no vents for the hot air in some location, even 50mm will let the CPU cooler recycle it's air, which will prevent it from effectively cooling anything, my current PC is used without its sidepanel because of this.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
In smaller spaces, a shroud can be used to separate the airspace before and after the cooler and/or direct airflow, though they basically have to be designed on a case by case basis, so isn't for the feint of heart.