In need of airflow advice

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm about to start a new HTPC project. I currently have a Streacom F7C with a Celeron n3050 board for basic HTPC use. I'd like to mod the case a bit so it can hold a dual slot, low-profile gpu. I already made some sketches to asure that everything will fit. ATM, this is the hardware I'm planning on using:

- i3 6100
- asus h170i-plus D3
- 8GB crucial ballistix ddr3 ultra low profile memory
- Picopsu 160-XT along with their 192w brick
- MSI 1050ti LP (when it's actually in a store)
- Crucial mx300 M.2 275gb ssd

The grand question is how to organize the airflow. Basically, I have 2 sides and the top of the case that can act as intake or outtake. The top is covered by the cpu cooler and one of the sides by the gpu. The gpu will always act as intake.

I only have about 1cm clearance on both sides of the case but i have a lot of clearance on top of the case. My first thought was not to have exhaust fans blowing out on the sides, due to the low clearance. Problem is that most cpu coolers also act as intake and blow their air onto the cpu and mobo. Then there's the noctua nh-l12, which is a tight fit but could do the job as outtake.

TL;DR: either noctua NH-L12 as outtake or NH-L9x65 as intake. See attached images :)

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The GPU exhaust is going to be dumping hot air inside the case, so setting the larger NH-L12 cooler as an exhaust to help evacuate that air is probably going to be the better bet. With the NH-L9x65 as an intake, it will likely be scavenging some of the hot GPU exhaust unless it is ducted to the intake vent (and then the GPU exhaust will be lingering inside the case).

Reactions: Phuncz

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hi robbee,

This is my current case, which I also modded to fit a full height GPU !
You can refer to my thread (not very well organised but some interesting pictures).

Regarding your project, I am pretty sure you do not have enough space between the mobo and the side panel to fit a dual-slot GPU.

The only possible place is on the opposite side, where you have between a 40 and 45 mm clearance.
Fitting a GPU here is a pretty easy and clean fix, by running a flexible riser under the mobo, and using a ribbon-like HDMI cable.

If you go the riser route, you can also fit the GPU behind the mobo, where you have lots of free space, and use the existing holes to fit a thin 80mm exhaust fan.

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
That's a lot you've managed to fit in there! I did manage to fit in a dual slot by offsetting the motherboard a bit. You can see it in the sketch of the back of the case, I'm planning to cut an extra pci slot in there.

I see your gpu blocks the drive bay though. That's not really an option in my case (pun intended) :)

Reactions: aquelito

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I would also guess that using the NH-L12 as an exhaust would be the better performing setup.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
That's a lot you've managed to fit in there! I did manage to fit in a dual slot by offsetting the motherboard a bit. You can see it in the sketch of the back of the case, I'm planning to cut an extra pci slot in there.

I see your gpu blocks the drive bay though. That's not really an option in my case (pun intended) :)

Ok I see it now. You have lots of space to offset the mobo (which means also offsetting the IO).
You could fit both a LP GPU and 2.5" drives behind the mobo though.

Regarding the actual airflow performances, my temps dropped considerably when the 92mm was turned as an intake fan (while Streacom manual suggests to have it as an exhaust fan), with the CPU cooler as intake too.

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
NH-L12 it is then. Thanks for thinking with me!

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
How do you expect to offset the mobo ?
Are you going to drill new holes to move the standoffs ?

This is an interesting solution I am going to cinsider for my mod as well.

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
How do you expect to offset the mobo ?
Are you going to drill new holes to move the standoffs ?

This is an interesting solution I am going to cinsider for my mod as well.

I've yet to see. I'm gonna try soldering the standoffs first and if that doesn't work, I'll drill holes.