Top Flow CPU Cooler Intake Clearance (SFF/HTPC)

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
What is the minimum clearance, from a solid vent-less panel (no intake holes/grills), for the intake of a top flow cpu cooler on a low wattage CPU (e.g. @ 54 watt TDP)?

Just wondering how some of these HTPC/SFF builds get away with coolers sometimes being only 1-2 mm from an non-vented panel.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
1-2mm is not enough, I can tell you that much. I would say at least 10mm, better 20.

In any case, this only works when you've got active intake and exhaust as well. On its own, that cooler will do nothing but recycle its own air. There are some builds that have a PSU directly above the CPU cooler. In that case, you can flip the fan on the CPU cooler to blow directly into the PSU and 1-2mm clearance would be ok for that.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
The supply of air into the CPU cooler is probably more important than the cooler itself.

What is the total CPU height clearance of the examples you are referring to?

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Appreciate the replies.

Due to my need to get below 6 liters for convenient backpack/carry on transport requirements I dropped the SFX PSU requirement and was considering the Realan E-H80 or E-W80 but due to their very limited standoff (under 15 mm) from an non-vented top plate I have changed my mind... not very CPU cooler friendly.

I have now warmed to the idea of an Antec ISK 110... if that doesn't pan out maybe an Inwin Chopin as both have been highly recommended.