Completed Circle Pro - Solid Alu CNCed mini-itx case - 240mm liquid cooling

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
Ok guys, here's an update. Please note that the colours I'm using are non-representative of actual colour, and are more so we can reference the parts easily in comments.

First I want to introduce the concept of the panel mounting system. Here is the back panel. The idea is to assemble the main components onto this back panel assembly.

Below is the SFX PSU front panel assembly. Note that the PSU is held in place and encapsulated by a shroud, this is where to hide excess cable. You can see how the front panel connects to the base panel with screws in the base.

This is the base panel. It has a removable tray and is designed to accommodate dust filters and 120mm slim PWM fans.

Here is the top panel, which mounts to the 240mm radiator with a custom bracket. This bracket allows you to hide the fan cables and also allows the radiator to mount to the case without any visible screws.

Here's a view of the top and bottom of the unit. Note that the fans on the bottom (the intake), have zero mesh or patterned metal to pull air through, just the dust filters. This is to reduce resistance, create positive pressure in the case and hopefully to reduce air whoosh noise.

Here is the 2.5" drive cage bracket. It can currently support 3 drives. It is designed to be easily accessible and removable anytime.

Here you can see the component layout from a side profile.

Here you can see the concept for removing the glass panels

And here's the full updated component layout.

And here you can better see the magnets installed round the frame that attach to the glass panel. On the back of the glass panel is a thin laminated stainless steel sheet that interfaces with the magnets (not pictured).

Please note that this update is a first rough pass on structural detailing, so there's definitely a lot that could be improved. Keen to hear everyone's thoughts!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm too lazy to look it up, but does the angle of the C13 connector on the power cable work with location and orientation of the C14 inlet on the common SFX/SFX-L PSUs?

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
I'm too lazy to look it up, but does the angle of the C13 connector on the power cable work with location and orientation of the C14 inlet on the common SFX/SFX-L PSUs?

Yep, I actually had a custom C13 to C14 cable made for my previous case that doesn't have screws on the c14 side. It just snaps into the rear panel. the challenge was that the rear of that C14 connector looked a bit rough, so my supplier actually injection moulded a completely custom rear shell for it. The cable looks great and we can customise it as much as we need. Pretty neat!

Long story, but in short, yes :thumb:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So will you bundle both a right and left-angle C13? Because it looks like a left-angle in the render which won't work with at least the SX650-G or SF600:

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
So will you bundle both a right and left-angle C13? Because it looks like a left-angle in the render which won't work with at least the SX650-G or SF600:

Ah, ok I see what you mean. Hmm, are these units the exception, or does every unit vary it? Which side would you prioritise?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There is no standardization and they vary in both orientation and position all over the place. I'd recommend looking at all the SFX units currently in the market and upcoming. Between both a left and right-angle it should be possible to cover most of them with the current bracket.

Some units have the inlet rotated 90 degrees from the above so even then you couldn't cover all of them with the current bracket design.

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
There is no standardization and they vary in both orientation and position all over the place. I'd recommend looking at all the SFX units currently in the market and upcoming. Between both a left and right-angle it should be possible to cover most of them with the current bracket.

Some units have the inlet rotated 90 degrees from the above so even then you couldn't cover all of them with the current bracket design.

That's a bit lame. Hmm. Thanks for the heads up, I'll try and work something out.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It looks like there's clearance to raise the PSU and support SFX-L, any reason not to?

And you may talk to @wahaha360 about the cables NCASE uses. The C13 on their cable is much lower profile if you need the extra room and they have both left and right-angle.

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
It looks like there's clearance to raise the PSU and support SFX-L, any reason not to?

And you may talk to @wahaha360 about the cables NCASE uses. The C13 on their cable is much lower profile if you need the extra room and they have both left and right-angle.

Ok, awesome, thanks for that. I don't think an SFX-L can fit, because I want to give enough comfortable room for the radiator pipes to bend and route through the shroud. I'll double check though :thumb:

jmsantos1983

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 12, 2017
The case looks great.

About the harddrivers, can they be screed just on the bottom side to eliminate the hard drive bracket.
Can the psu bracket be simplified to just hold the back part? Can it also be push up more for cable management?
Also, notice that this case could be used without a PSU to facilitate an option of a full gpu, is this something that you look at?
The water cooler, can the fans be placed on the bottom of the rediator?
This case looks incredible.

Reactions: CircleTect

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
dammit. now i want it more,,, please stop baiting me with your beautiful renders! , Any idea what kind of gpu size is availbile? (could we get enough clearance for a 1080 mini) oh and will we be able to do custom water cooling loops? the presence of that 240 is just itching to have one (cpu only or gpu + cpu)

Last edited:

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
Looks very nice. Perhaps make a metal panel that can clip on/off with weak magnets to hide USB's and such (and protect them from damage) when they're not in use?

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
the pcb on a 1080 mini without the air cooler looks like it could fit, provided we stuck a liquid cooler on it (it would be amazing to have such a feature in a case of this size (and detail)

-would it be possible to get holes in the back (or a third pci bracket) in order to use an external reservoir?

Last edited:

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017

Stick one of these bad boys on the back with one of these

and you got yourself a pretty impressive feat of engineering
How small are those? They look pretty small indeed, if CircleTect decides to add it I can't imagine much would have to change in the case?