Completed Circle Pro - Solid Alu CNCed mini-itx case - 240mm liquid cooling

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The only thing that killed the Circle Pro for me was the additional cost of buying a new GPU to go along with it. That coupled with AIO/MB raised the cost past what I want to spend at the moment.
To be fair, that's usually the issue with SFF cases, unless you buy a "roomy" case like the Cerberus. In basically most SFF cases you'll have to plan your build ahead or you'll have a hard time.

The path with most success for me is to:
- stipulate the use case and requirements needed
- find hardware that'll allow this (preferably SFF friendly)
- find a case that allows this hardware
- double-check everything, especially sanity and bank
- order components and hopefully have a case being made around that time

And at the end you won't end up with a case sized for dual GPUs in a world where that's no longer a thing because you were so focused on completing the build. Like me.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Found some issues with the full size card...
  • First being SFX PSU has nowhere to go, as the gpu sits where the PSU would go. For now, I’m using a 500w G-Unique power supply with a custom brick.
  • The recommended Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme S 240 AIO radiator outlet and tubing interferes with the gpu. Thr tubing has to be bent 90degrees. The recommended Zotac mini would not have this problem.
Thermals, totally not yet optimized, along with that tubing kink:
Full Prime95 and Heaven torture after 10 minutes, probably not yet heat soaked, but time to go sleep:
CPU (delid 6700K) 77c
GPU (2080 FE) 80c

I might switch out the GPU for now, I just really wanted to use the FE

SilverFox18

Trash Compacter
Sep 29, 2017
@Nanook looking forward to seeing the entire build list… incorporating a 'full-length' graphics card is of interest, the RTX 2080 looks mighty fine in there :):thumb:

Reactions: Nanook

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
I don't think you and Skarum understand or value the art of the process, from what you are saying. That's fine and dandy, luckily there are no shortage of great, functional, and beautiful SFF cases out there at many pricepoints.

Again, it is fine that you see this as apiece of metal that holds PC parts, but that is not how I see it.

I live in Rome, Italy since I was born... What else can I say? :)
There are even some kind of architecture buildings in my profile picture...

Never said (or meant to say) this is garbage! Nor it doesn't deserve money asked. It's a product meant to be build with top quality. And pictures speaks themselfes about its beauty! I'm not agree with you and Dan in the comparison with top end of PC GPU. They are bought (mostly) because of higher performance. Not based on their aesthetic appeareance compared to a mid level GPU (beauty may be a factor... but there would be a 50/100€ difference on a product that cost 500/1000€, not a 100% increase).

This is not the case for this case. It's not bought based on improved thermals characteristic compared to its competitors. But based on its appereance. It's an art based choice then. And this means it's a luxury product. This is different then, to buying a 800€ GPU which may be more expensive, but allows faster computations. it's not the same kind of luxury.

What I mean, is something in line with his thought:
Yeah I think complaining about the price of this case doesn't make a lot of sense since it is a luxury item. It's sort of like complaining about the price of an expensive watch. If you're really worried about the price, if you want the best value for your money, then it just isn't the right thing for you.
Anyway it did sell out pretty quickly, so, you know, a product is ultimately worth what people are willing to pay for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Josh | NFC

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The recommended Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme S 240 AIO radiator outlet and tubing interferes with the gpu. Thr tubing has to be bent 90degrees.
I would ask for another recommendation for a watercooling solution, perhaps with 90° angled fittings on the radiator. Is it perhaps possible to rotate the radiator so the fittings come out on the front of the case ? It would be a shame to swap out the GPU because the CPU cooler doesn't fit. Especially considering the FE cards are the 20-series RTX cards that aren't (a lot) bigger than the PCIe reference size.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Found some issues with the full size card...

Not just the rad tubing, but:

On nVidia website rtx 2080 ti is quoted with height of 115.7mm. From the photo including the 8pin plugs which are about 25mm.

.... I think there will be a lot of issues with 3rd party graphics cards, which can go up to as tall as 140mm. You need at least another 25mm more clearance. This problem doesn't only exist for full length cards, but for short cards also. Some cards may short in length, but are taller than 120mm....

Hope you don't need to go back to the drawing board, but I think you have some design issues here that needs to be addressed...:\

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Not just the rad tubing, but:

On nVidia website rtx 2080 ti is quoted with height of 115.7mm. From the photo including the 8pin plugs which are about 25mm.

.... I think there will be a lot of issues with 3rd party graphics cards, which can go up to as tall as 140mm. You need at least another 25mm more clearance. Founders cards heights are considered some of the shortest already.

Hope you don't need to go back to the drawing board, but I think you have some design issues here that needs to be addressed...:\

or maybe someone could just get a 240mm aio with the tubes a little farther from the edge, like the raijintek orcus or the enermax liqfusion or the xigmatek scylla or maybe even the antec k240...

i'm sure someone will figure it out.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
or maybe someone could just get a 240mm aio with the tubes a little farther from the edge, like the raijintek orcus or the enermax liqfusion or the xigmatek scylla or maybe even the antec k240...

i'm sure someone will figure it out.

Issue not just with the radiator. There is a separate problem with video card height, illustrated below:

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
yeah i know what you were getting at. a lot of cards will still fit under the radiator. i was suggesting those low profile cables and connectors as a solution for cards that fit under the radiator. this case doesn't have universal graphics card support, i'm sure the people buying it understand that and will shop accordingly.

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
I don't think you and Skarum understand or value the art of the process, from what you are saying. That's fine and dandy, luckily there are no shortage of great, functional, and beautiful SFF cases out there at many pricepoints.

That's a lot of assuming, considering you know next to nothing of my values or "understanding", but if you want to be condescending and educate the plebs, you're off to a nice start. (I'm aware it probably wasn't meant that harsh, but it comes across as quite arrogant, at least to me).

I value the process of art. The Sistine Chapel ceiling is considered one of the greatest works of art of all time [SNIP]

Hold the phone right there... Are you comparing the Sistine Chapel, to this computer case? The case is a lovely piece of craftmanship, really well thought out, really well executed, but I honestly think the comparrision is wait of wack.
This is craftmanship and while craftmanship can hold significant aesthetic value, at the end of the day it's still an item made for a specific purpose. I value craftmanship, and I have for example no problem paying a significant premium for furniture that looks beautiful, lasts a life time and holds it value, instead of going to Ikea. I do however have a problem paying what I consider to be too much, as my funds are limited and therefore I'm not as willing to pay for "artistic processes", because the maker insisted on using them for the sake of artistry instead of craftmanship. I don't need my sofa pillows stiched with gold thread, when cotton would do.

The case is not for me, and I understand that, but we can go back to my car analogy: Even if money wasn't an issue, I'd never buy a Lambo. I can appreciate the skill, the labour and the thought that have gone in to it, and admire that, but I would never willingly pay that much for what at the end of a day is still just a car. If I could, I'd buy a Picasso, but a car and a painting aren't the same thing. Art is eternal, craftmanship, sadly is not. Same goes for this. It's a computer case, it's not the Sistine Chapel.

I have made a few computer cases (much more than just the MINI lineup, for other companies). I know the processes these take, and I appreciate that this is a milled system that doesn't look like garbage. I appreciate finishing processes and I like what I see from these photos.

I've watched the system assembly video at least 4 times now. It's gourgeous. I can appreciate that, but still I think it is fair to say that this goes above and beyond what is considered premium. This is a luxury, and there's a very specific customer base for that.

Again, it is fine that you see this as apiece of metal that holds PC parts, but that is not how I see it.

Again, I'm not saying people who buy this case are stupid. I'm not saying it's a waste of money. I'm saying that's it's not for me, and if you think that makes me an uneducated simpleton and a cheapskate, then that's what I am. I'm willing to pay a premium for a premium product, I am not willing to pay for a luxury product.

Just wanted to explain my thoughts. :)

Actually a significant amount of my customers are first time builders. These are people who have never really been interested in PC hardware before, but appreciate quality and the aesthetic of small form factor systems. There is a crossover here that is super fun to see happening.

You could make an argument that SFF FORUM is not the place to advertise, and from the posts here, I would sadly agree with you.

Peace all, it is fun reading your opinions on things. <3

Again, if your product caters to a niche audience, there's nothing wrong with that, but don't expect to be above comment or criticism, just because you think we can't appreciate or understand it.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
A whole lot of bitching about what GPU, what PSU, what AIO might fit; especially for a chassis that was basically designed around the smallest, yet most powerful GPU (AT THE TIME OF DESIGN), the Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini...

Now one can only hope that Zotac will come out with some 20XX Mini SKUs...

But until then, if one wants to use the chassis, AS INTENDED, one needs to get a Zotac Mini GPU...

(...NOTE - NOT a dig at @Nanook , he is just doing what any self-respecting SFFer with a RTX 2080 might try...)

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
That's a lot of assuming, considering you know next to nothing of my values or "understanding", but if you want to be condescending and educate the plebs, you're off to a nice start. (I'm aware it probably wasn't meant that harsh, but it comes across as quite arrogant, at least to me).

Hold the phone right there... Are you comparing the Sistine Chapel, to this computer case? The case is a lovely piece of craftmanship, really well thought out, really well executed, but I honestly think the comparrision is wait of wack.
This is craftmanship and while craftmanship can hold significant aesthetic value, at the end of the day it's still an item made for a specific purpose. I value craftmanship, and I have for example no problem paying a significant premium for furniture that looks beautiful, lasts a life time and holds it value, instead of going to Ikea. I do however have a problem paying what I consider to be too much, as my funds are limited and therefore I'm not as willing to pay for "artistic processes", because the maker insisted on using them for the sake of artistry instead of craftmanship. I don't need my sofa pillows stiched with gold thread, when cotton would do.

The case is not for me, and I understand that, but we can go back to my car analogy: Even if money wasn't an issue, I'd never buy a Lambo. I can appreciate the skill, the labour and the thought that have gone in to it, and admire that, but I would never willingly pay that much for what at the end of a day is still just a car. If I could, I'd buy a Picasso, but a car and a painting aren't the same thing. Art is eternal, craftmanship, sadly is not. Same goes for this. It's a computer case, it's not the Sistine Chapel.

I've watched the system assembly video at least 4 times now. It's gourgeous. I can appreciate that, but still I think it is fair to say that this goes above and beyond what is considered premium. This is a luxury, and there's a very specific customer base for that.

Again, I'm not saying people who buy this case are stupid. I'm not saying it's a waste of money. I'm saying that's it's not for me, and if you think that makes me an uneducated simpleton and a cheapskate, then that's what I am. I'm willing to pay a premium for a premium product, I am not willing to pay for a luxury product.

Again, if your product caters to a niche audience, there's nothing wrong with that, but don't expect to be above comment or criticism, just because you think we can't appreciate or understand it.

I apologize for offending you, I had no intention of doing so. I'm not very good at writing and i can understand how my tone can be misunderstood. I much prefer conversation so people can read my emotions.

My intention was not to compare a computer case to a legendary piece of art, it was to use an analogy to explain that a process is as important to some people such as myself as the end result. I would rather have a hand dipped candle than one made in a mold. I was assuming from your writing, and now have been told implicitly by your clarification, that you do not value the process by how this chassis is made enough to spend more money on it. While I may have come off arrogant and with very poor analogies and writing (which I did not intend and apologize for)I meant the same thing you typed. Please clarify further if you think I am wrong. You would purchase this case if it were made out of sheet metal, and was $200, but you would not purchase this case being it is cnced from aluminum stock and thus 200 more expensive. This I interpret to mean you do not value the process--value meaning you are unwilling to assign a dollar amount to it.

I also was not making the claim that any case on here is above criticism. I was trying to explain why I appreciated there was a chassis on here that used a process that is not wildely implemented, and I personally have not seen one (intended for end users) use this process and come out this well.

I myself have criticism for the case in terms of design, layout, and functionality. I tend to keep that to myself because it doesn't help the OP at this point in the process, if it ever would. But I do think the execution of the manufacturing is top notch and the price is fine. It would cost over a thousand dollars for me to get this made as a one off.

Peace to you and I hope you can see how I intended my comments now.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
A whole lot of bitching about what GPU, what PSU, what AIO might fit; especially for a chassis that was basically designed around the smallest, yet most powerful GPU (AT THE TIME OF DESIGN), the Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini...

Now one can only hope that Zotac will come out with some 20XX Mini SKUs...

But until then, if one wants to use the chassis, AS INTENDED, one needs to get a Zotac Mini GPU...

(...NOTE - NOT a dig at @Nanook , he is just doing what any self-respecting SFFer with a RTX 2080 might try...)
Yeah, the case is design to house a specific set of components. Josh (Circle Studio) has a google sheet listing all the compatible items, and I can absolutely appreciate how tailored the case is for those. I looked at the dimensions of the case, saw that it will fit an FE card, and immediately try to shoehorn it in. I’m definitely coloring outside the lines as prescribed by @CircleTect.

Reactions: Phuncz and Boil