Completed Circle Pro - Solid Alu CNCed mini-itx case - 240mm liquid cooling

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I am actually seriously considering offering defective units with small cosmetic scratches / marks for a discount. We had a lot of parts get through production with small imperfections we had to reject in QC. It's a shame to waste otherwise good parts because of a small blemish.

Would anyone be interested in this?
I'd be interested, but how much of a discount? The starting base price is THE most expensive I've seen for a it case being just shy a few dollars from $400.00

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
The starting base price is THE most expensive I've seen for a it case being just shy a few dollars from $400.00

You guys don't have to keep telling me this, I get it. It's the cost of fully CNC machined panels that people are not used to seeing.

It's equivalent to Ramaworks products (also CNC machined) or Forever Tops. It's a different class of manufacturing and precision. As some astute engineers have pointed out in this thread, the CPRO price is actually very low considering the processes involved.

In fact if I don't raise the prices, I won't be able to continue selling them sustainably. If you don't like the price to quality ratio - there are plenty of other cases on the market.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
You guys don't have to keep telling me this, I get it. It's the cost of fully CNC machined panels that people are not used to seeing.

It's equivalent to Ramaworks products (also CNC machined) or Forever Tops. It's a different class of manufacturing and precision. As some astute engineers have pointed out in this thread, the CPRO price is actually very low considering the processes involved.

In fact if I don't raise the prices, I won't be able to continue selling them sustainably. If you don't like the price to quality ratio - there are plenty of other cases on the market.
As an industrial designer, in product development, the price is quite reasonable for the processes used to produce this case. I look forward to seeing this case in person (hopefully get here this Friday...)

sff123

Case Bender
Oct 4, 2018
I am actually seriously considering offering defective units with small cosmetic scratches / marks for a discount. We had a lot of parts get through production with small imperfections we had to reject in QC. It's a shame to waste otherwise good parts because of a small blemish.

Would anyone be interested in this?

I would be interested in this option as well.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018

I get that you're sick of seeing this, but you can't be surprised when you do. People give @AlexTzone hell over on the Mjolnir case thread all the time, and that case is nearly $100 cheaper than your "discounted" pre-sale price, more compatible than yours with PC components, and of a much higher quality standard than other cases on the market (your defense for pricing). Don't get me wrong, they are two very different cases, and both impressively engineered... but if the guy making the $299 base price, higher-quality-than-usual-case is getting hell for pricing, you better put your big boy pants on for all the criticism you're going to continue getting for a nearly $400 (on the verge of being $500) case.

Reactions: Hissitx

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Nearly everyone is fine with paying $800+ for an GPU but premium cases must be cheap as hell. Yes a case doesn't give you a single FPS but if you think like this it is the wrong product for you. Furthermore comparison to other cases that are in the design process isn't fair. That ones that are complaining over the price aren't not the target audience for this product.

From the manufacturing quality point of view this is the most premium case on the market.

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
Nearly everyone is fine with paying $800+ for an GPU but premium cases must be cheap as hell.

Yeah, but those are two different categories. You can't buy much of a graphics card for $100, but it'll net you a very good mainstream case. Likewise, you can get a great PSU at $100, but good luck trying to convince people $500 is a fair price for a PSU, because of it's incredible quality.

If a standard case is a Ford, then a $200-300 is a Mercedes, and this is a Lamborghini. And most people wouldn't buy a Lamborghini.

Yes a case doesn't give you a single FPS but if you think like this it is the wrong product for you.

Absolutely. This is a luxury product. It's on par with people spending extra on RGB's and custom cables.

Furthermore comparison to other cases that are in the design process isn't fair. That ones that are complaining over the price aren't not the target audience for this product.

From the manufacturing quality point of view this is the most premium case on the market.

The thing is premium cases used to be $300, tops. This is moving the goal posts, and for some, it's too far. I personally think it's a beautiful case, extremely well thought out and made, but it's not $200 "nicer" than a Dancase/Louqe/Mjolnir. The criticism isn't that they are pocketing too much money on this case (like Apple does), the criticism is that maybe with some optimization and compromises, it could be cheaper while keeping the high level of quality.

Reactions: SashaLag

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
@CircleTect
Don't worry, we can see the quality and thought behind it. As Dan pointed out, if price is an issue, this is simply not the right case for that person.
Do you have any information about plans from e.g. Zotac to release a 20XX Mini?

Reactions: whatanoob and Sebu

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Yes a case doesn't give you a single FPS but if you think like this it is the wrong product for you. Furthermore comparison to other cases that are in the design process isn't fair. That ones that are complaining over the price aren't not the target audience for this product.

Thankfully, I don't think like that. As to your second point, I feel it's perfectly comparable considering no thermals have ever been posted to my knowledge about either case I compared. What we do know is what both cases cost, that they both tout themselves as higher-than-normal quality, and that they both attribute their higher-than-normal cost to a more difficult manufacturing process... So yes, it IS a fair comparison even with one in the design phase, b/c we (the majority who haven't purchased the case) know the same information about them both no matter what phase they are in.

@Brude27
One is clearly out in the market while other is still in prototype. We can't really say one is of higher quality

Refer to the last bit I replied to Dan with... and as far as comparing which is higher quality... I never said one was of higher quality. I said they were both higher-than-normal quality.

With those replies out of the way, I'll say I think my post was misunderstood, but still stand behind what I said. My post was only to say that no matter what explanation @CircleTect gives to justify the price, he will continue to be criticized over it, and that he needs to just get used to it. I merely used the Mjolnir comparison b/c it is the only other case on the forums that gets hell over it's price tag.

With all of that said, I have still tried to find a way to justify buying this case... Maybe once someone posts some thermals to prove this case can perform as well as it looks, I'll bite down and get one... but buying blindly based upon looks alone isn't something I'll ever do.

Reactions: chyll2

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Nearly everyone is fine with paying $800+ for an GPU but premium cases must be cheap as hell. Yes a case doesn't give you a single FPS but if you think like this it is the wrong product for you. Furthermore comparison to other cases that are in the design process isn't fair. That ones that are complaining over the price aren't not the target audience for this product.

Totally agree with all your points apart from the fps comment. I believe the design of a case can have a significant impact on your gaming fps.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

ElectroShock

Cable Smoosher
Oct 5, 2018
For what it is worth I am one of the people who bought one of these cases. This will be my first SFF build. The case fit all of the things I was looking for when I was looking at building a new machine. I did have to adjust what graphics card I was going to be using, but that wasn't an issue for me. As soon as all of my parts arrive I will gladly post up some pictures and do any thermal tests you guys are after.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Yeah, but those are two different categories. You can't buy much of a graphics card for $100, but it'll net you a very good mainstream case. Likewise, you can get a great PSU at $100, but good luck trying to convince people $500 is a fair price for a PSU, because of it's incredible quality.

If a standard case is a Ford, then a $200-300 is a Mercedes, and this is a Lamborghini. And most people wouldn't buy a Lamborghini.

Absolutely. This is a luxury product. It's on par with people spending extra on RGB's and custom cables.

The thing is premium cases used to be $300, tops. This is moving the goal posts, and for some, it's too far. I personally think it's a beautiful case, extremely well thought out and made, but it's not $200 "nicer" than a Dancase/Louqe/Mjolnir. The criticism isn't that they are pocketing too much money on this case (like Apple does), the criticism is that maybe with some optimization and compromises, it could be cheaper while keeping the high level of quality.

Luxury cases reach a much higher price- remember Caselabs (RIP). Yes they are expensive because of customizability. But they are still mostly sheet metal.

Based on your car analogy, you’re absolutely correct in terms of price points, and that the certainly sits at the upper-end of pricing.

From the photographs, this case looks to be made out of four large discrete machines aluminum, thick gauge glass that’s custom shaped, and likely hand assembled. The only economy of scale here is if Circle makes a ton of these cases. Eg, Apple MacBook Pro and iMacs are machined aluminum.

Even at 400ish, with the bill of materials of this case, it is already very optimized. This is all derived from the photographs though. I’ll further evaluate when my case arrives.

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@CircleTect
Although some may feel the price is a bit steep, you will never know until you push it out to the market. It may even help you to establish yourself as a premium brand going forward. Sometimes you just have to go for your own instincts and take a dive.

I salute you for your pursuit of premium quality and I wish you a successful launch.

NuclearLemons

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2017
Totally agree with all your points apart from the fps comment. I believe the design of a case can have a significant impact on your gaming fps.
absolutely, it is well regarded that painting flames on your case will make it run much faster,

=)

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
I don’t mind the price as long as the quality lives up to it (no stranger to high CNC-driven prices as a mechanical keyboard enthusiast). If there is ever a version that can fit a full size GPU I will gladly pick it up.

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
I don’t mind the price as long as the quality lives up to it (no stranger to high CNC-driven prices as a mechanical keyboard enthusiast). If there is ever a version that can fit a full size GPU I will gladly pick it up.

Yeah add me to the front of the line if there’s ever a version for a full size GPU. At whatever price. I still find myself checking out this case all the time. Such a great design.

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
This is a fantastic and inspirational case. I remember your earlier prototypes from a year or two ago, and it's evolved very well.

The last commercial case I purchased was a $400 Lian-Li which I used for 8 years. The value is there for the right customer.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
This is why I set out to make the MINI--to do my part in creating the "luxury chassis" market. As Dan said, people didn't bat an eye when they were paying 800+ for a 1080 during the shortage just a while back, but freak out at the thought of spending money on a quality item that could potentially last for decades.

@CircleTect, don't defend your price. If the finishing is as well done as it appears in the pictures, all you will have to do is show your product and the customers you want will get it.

Nicely done, indeed!

Peace