Changing the GPU layout in a Node 202/Sentry style case?

Netzon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Netzon
Apr 26, 2017
I'm in the process of designing my own home theater case, with a component layout similar to the Fractal Design Node 202 or the Dr Zaber Sentry. One issue I've seen with those cases is that GPU temperatures rise a lot when you use them in a horizontal configuration, due to the GPU intake vent being at the bottom.

I'm considering a solution where the riser cable is routed along the bottom of the case to flip the GPU around, allowing the intake vents for both the CPU and the GPU to be at the top of the case.

Is that a feasible solution? This is my first project and my experience is somewhat limited, so any advice would be much appreciated!

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
I'm in the process of designing my own home theater case, with a component layout similar to the Fractal Design Node 202 or the Dr Zaber Sentry. One issue I've seen with those cases is that GPU temperatures rise a lot when you use them in a horizontal configuration, due to the GPU intake vent being at the bottom.

I'm considering a solution where the riser cable is routed along the bottom of the case to flip the GPU around, allowing the intake vents for both the CPU and the GPU to be at the top of the case.

Is that a feasible solution? This is my first project and my experience is somewhat limited, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Your idea is feasible, and has been done. One example would be the S3 mini. Also, you would need to find a realiable and lengthy enough riser cable to loop it under the motherboard which shouldn't be too much of an issue. Other than that I don't believe there's much other advice I can give. Good luck and I hope all goes well! :)

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Well the Node 202 has the GPU on its own bracket, so if you can get the mounting dimensions, you might be able to fabric a new on with the GPU the other way.

You'll also have to drill ventilation holes though. Might be easier to just put some feet on the bottom.

That's if you want to modify an existing case.
For designing your own case you can do whatever you want. That layout should work just fine. There are plenty of riser cables available that you can use and if I remember, correctly, the HDPlex uses such a layout, though the case itself is the heatsink.

Reactions: Biowarejak