Chain's Ideas (Megathread of my running ideas)

Do you like these ideas?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some of them

• Why are we not throwing money at this?!

• Other (comment!)

• Total voters

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Quick Introduction
Hello all, this is just a thread to log all my ideas whether it be for SFF projects or projects in general. I may not do anything described, but if you would like you are more than welcome to "borrow" some ideas and implement them yourself, just be sure to post an image bellow and quote the idea. I'd love to see them in action. Ideas that I havent put much thought into will just be text, so judge the idea on the amount of pictures, videos and models I have included with them. I am no expert with modeling or craftsmanship, so expect everything to be a crude mock-up. I will be adding project ideas over time.

IDEA: Hand Forged SFF Scratch Build
tl;dr: A case hand forged using the Lost Foam method of casting aluminum and other methods.
overview: The idea comes from my interest in simple blacksmithing work. The idea to to make a foam model of a case as a mockup and build a pc inside. After the case is considered functional to meet the needs, the pc will be deconstructed and the foam will then be used for casting in wet sand. Then molten aluminum (or other metals with similar or lower melting points) will be poured into the sand. The metal will instantly vaporize the foam and take its place. After a cooling period, the metal will harden into the shape and will be grinded, sanded, and polished. After all foam pieces have been "lost" (aka Lost Foam Casting) and the metal shapes created, they will be bolted together forming the case.
advantages: You can cast almost anything you can think of. Want a sword? Go ahead and cast it. Want a arc reactor? Cast it. Want a simple cut out? Cast it. The only limit to what you can make is your creativity.
limitations: The limit of foam casting is that you get one chance per piece of foam. If you mess up, the mold explodes, or it comes out bad you will need to cut it down and melt it all over again along with creating another piece of foam and test fitting it before using it. This is a very time consuming process. Another limit is the amount of metal needed. Getting a hold of scrap could be tricky.
video examples:

IDEA: Triple Way Monitor SFF Design
tl;dr: A triple way monitor setup designed for LANs and portable workstations with no mounting hardware.
overview: The idea comes from an old Tek Syndicate video where they used an old Ipad Retina 9.7'' screen and a driver board to create a small high res monitor attached to a SFF case with a monitor arm to move the screens closer. The idea is to build a frame that will hold all 3 monitors and will allow them to fold up to protect each others screens. The frame needs to be able to unfold the screens at an angle and lock them in place. It also needs to be attached to an arm of some kind for reposition. The design is as follows: A base stand with a slit to hold the monitors attached to a swing arm with a slip-on mount. A tri monitor arm split in three sections with the ability to be angled slightly with brackets to attach the screens to with no mounting hardware. Attached to the monitors are angle brackets with a locking mechanism to keep them from changing angles and a cutout to slide onto the arm.
advantages: Portable, Small high-rez triple monitor setup for LAN eyefinity or production work. The panels are IPS with great color accuracy.
limitations: Price and usability. Price is around $200 per monitor + manufacturing fee for the base/stand/mounts. Usability seems low as it is only useful in specific cases. The monitor stand needs to be adjustable to put the screens as close as 1 foot from the users face or text is unreadable. Good point here is they are tablet screens and meant to be put right in front of you so they are designed to minimize eye strain.
video example:

More Ideas in the future, look forward to the posts :p

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
They both sound interesting, although I'm quite curious how you'd go about making and pouring liquid-state aluminium. I'd probably burn my hands on something even before I'd get the aluminium to melt, but maybe I'm looking at it to Middle-Agey.

The Retina display idea is cool, but I'd be sure the lamp arm is capable of the weight. My experience with lamp arms is that they aren't built for precision or stability. Consider a monitor arm (Silverstone has some interesting ones) or maybe you've found a very good lamp arm. I'd love a buy list for three IPS 2048x1536 screens with controllers that allows HDMI or preferably DisplayPort. The screen on an iPad Air 2 is amazing and the one on the iPad Pro 9.7" is even more amazing according to Anandtech. Maybe have them fold over eachother, with a colapsible arm you could make a triple 9.7" into a small suitcase.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
They both sound interesting, although I'm quite curious how you'd go about making and pouring liquid-state aluminium. I'd probably burn my hands on something even before I'd get the aluminium to melt, but maybe I'm looking at it to Middle-Agey.

The Retina display idea is cool, but I'd be sure the lamp arm is capable of the weight. My experience with lamp arms is that they aren't built for precision or stability. Consider a monitor arm (Silverstone has some interesting ones) or maybe you've found a very good lamp arm. I'd love a buy list for three IPS 2048x1536 screens with controllers that allows HDMI or preferably DisplayPort. The screen on an iPad Air 2 is amazing and the one on the iPad Pro 9.7" is even more amazing according to Anandtech. Maybe have them fold over eachother, with a colapsible arm you could make a triple 9.7" into a small suitcase.

My newest case prototype is using both of the ideas above (~17L minimum, 20L maximum). Should see progress next month. Im debating on a design right now (have my internals planned, not the externals). The general idea is to make a briefcase case style box with a unique look that incorporates 1 monitor but can be removed and attached to the other 2 for a triple setup and when the mounted monitor is removed then a window is visible into the case. There isnt a good way to make a triple setup mounted directly to the case so the custom stand is a must.

Making molten aluminum is pretty easy and I have a foundry outside that I can use to do it. You simply use a material with a higher melting point than the one you want to melt that can conduct heat (aka steel for iron/aluminum/copper). You heat the steel container (called a cruicible) and after some time and a lot of heat you will melt whats inside of it but not the crucible itself. Then its simple as picking up the crucible and pouring and waiting. Then some clean up.

I am going to custom make a monitor arm using some pieces from an old lamp and some stuff from home depot. I need to get the money for the panels and when I do I will get to work on the setup.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
One issue with investment casting is you'd may to do some serious machining to go from the initial cast to something dimensionally accurate enough to install parts in (due to shrinkage, warping, and foam/mould flex), unless you went for having the cast be a 'shell' with components actually installed to an internal frame.

Reactions: ChainedHope

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
I hope you'll be recording the liquid aluminium pouring, that would be awesome to see.

I shall :p

One issue with investment casting is you'd may to do some serious machining to go from the initial cast to something dimensionally accurate enough to install parts in (due to shrinkage, warping, and foam/mould flex), unless you went for having the cast be a 'shell' with components actually installed to an internal frame.

The plan is to make a shell from a Lian Li mATX mobo stand and some mesh/aluminum rods and to fit the casting around it. The castings will be grinded to fit incase of warp, but im thinking of going with a more fluid abstract design so that will probably work fine if some warp does occur.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The plan is to make a shell from a Lian Li mATX mobo stand and some mesh/aluminum rods and to fit the casting around it. The castings will be grinded to fit incase of warp, but im thinking of going with a more fluid abstract design so that will probably work fine if some warp does occur.
Cool! You could leave the outside surface mostly unfinished for an 'organic' look (particularly if you cast just just sand rather than a slurry dip).

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
IDEA: SFX->Pico PSU for Cable Management (decrease)
tl;dr: Combining the power of a SFX psu with the small form factor of a pico psu to decrease cable clutter and help with cable management in a small form factor
overview: The main idea is to take a pico psu like the 160XT and splice the power line into an sfx power rail. The pico psu could also be modified to power the 4+4/8 pin for the cpu and sata power. This leaves only a single 6 or 8 pin coming from the psu for a discrete gpu. The single 8 pin could be split for 2x6 pin for the gpu or dropped completely for low TDP, motherboard power only gpus. Of course the idea only has merit in small systems that need more power than the HDPLEX or 160XT would need for the GPU(s) and who want to decrease on the amount of cables that need routed from the main SFX psu. This brings the total wires coming from the SFX psu down to around 10 (8 if using a single 6 pin) and allows less space needed behind a sfx power supply for its cables by moving the cable mess to other parts of the case.
Advantages: Less cable clutter directly behind the psu, more options for routing cables, much more minimalistic than custom sleeved modular cables.
Limitations: Main system cannot peaked more than 2-300 watts and you need a reason for the extra power from the SFX psu. If not then there is no reason to use it and instead should just need the pico PSU by itself. One example is my current Acorn build that houses dual r9 nanos that could take advantage of the cable space savings.
Extra information: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/posts/14225/