Concept SFF desktop slab idea

Beige

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
Hey guys! I've been lurking around for a while, and I too have a weird passion for these tiny powerful PCs!

I have poor crafting skills and even worse 3d modeling skills as you can see... I had a go in Paint 3d and threw together an idea that's been in my head for a while.

So the concept here is a mini-itx mobo with a low profile cooler fixed in a low profile case. Well, that is until it reaches the back, where a full height graphics card sticks up! On the left side of this case would be some sort of PSU solution and a big fan in the back.

The point of this wacky design would be that you could put your LCD monitor on top of it. The case would be wide but not deep like those old school LPX computers from the 90s. The GPU should get enough air and the user would not see its fans.

Anyone thought of the same at some point? Any thoughts of such a case design? So far I think the biggest con is all the connectors on the mobo coming out on the right side of the case, leaving a huge mess of wires where you would have the mouse. Perhaps the mobo/gpu should be placed an inch or two into the case, so the user could manage all the cables towards the back... I really haven't thought this through much, just kind of wanted to share my brainfart, lol :)

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
For the connectors being on the right side of the case, maybe the desirability of that will depend on who is using the case. I think I would like it because that way I don't have to pull the desktop away from the wall and turn it around to plug something in/out or change video cables. If you used a wireless mouse/keyboard & WiFi then the amount of cables coming off the PC should actually be pretty tame - just AC Power and HDMI or DP.

It's definitely a weird design but I can see it having a niche use as a monitor stand as you pictured :) outside of that use case I don't think it would be practical

Reactions: cleveland

Beige

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for the feedback, guys :) In my situation in particular I would benefit from having all connectors on the sides of the PC, because the desk is placed against a wall. Also, I know myself well enough to anticipate there will be a lot of connecting stuff in and out, like USB keys, HDMI/DP etc. Would be nice to have all connectors available without moving the unit when it also has a monitor on top of it.

I have been looking into just buying a case like the above mentioned Cryorig - probably what I'll end up with. Maybe it would be a shorter route to modify something existing rather than making something new.