How to plug 3 fan case on asrock z390 phantom gaming itx

shoobx

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
Hi i intend to build an ITX in a ghost s1 with 1 CPU air cooler and 3 fan case (2 x NH12x15 PWM + 1 x NH12x25)

On the motherboard the is
- 1 CPU header
- 1 CPU water pump header
- 1 fan case header

how should i use the header for my config ?

Thx

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Attach the CPU Cooler to the CPU fan header, and then get a fan controller, like this one to connect to the fan case header:

Noctua Fan Controller

That will allow all three fans to operate from the same header, as well as giving you more control over their speed, and pull power directly from the power supply so you don’t risk overloading the fan header with multiple fans. Fan control will still be passed through to the fans from the motherboard when using this, so they will adjust their RPM. This just allows you to dial in a max speed, and prevent the fans from turning off completely if you like.

Alternatively, you can use splitter cables to connect multiple fans to a single header provided it supplies enough power for all the fans.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
As suggested, make sure you get a powered splitter if you don't go with a fan controller. Something like this :

This one has a Molex power connector, but there're others using Sata power ...

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac (https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...gaming-itx-ac-motherboard-preview/index2.html) has 3 fan headers. The CPU fan header supplies 1A while the other 2 supply 2A each. And all 3 headers are controlled in the UEFI and Asrock A-tuning software.

I suggest, the CPU fan connects to the CPU fan header. The two 120x15 fans connect to chassis fan header (Noctua fan should come with a Y-splitter and so you do not have to buy one). The 120x25 fan connects to the water pump header. None will exceed the rated current rating. This should save you money buying a fan controller and also space inside the S1.

Reactions: AlexTSG and rfarmer

shoobx

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac (https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...gaming-itx-ac-motherboard-preview/index2.html) has 3 fan headers. The CPU fan header supplies 1A while the other 2 supply 2A each. And all 3 headers are controlled in the UEFI and Asrock A-tuning software.

I suggest, the CPU fan connects to the CPU fan header. The two 120x15 fans connect to chassis fan header (Noctua fan should come with a Y-splitter and so you do not have to buy one). The 120x25 fan connects to the water pump header. None will exceed the rated current rating. This should save you money buying a fan controller and also space inside the S1.

Seems a better solution. One question : if i use the water pump header for 1 of the case fan, how will the speed of the fan be manager ? independantly from the CPU fan i hope ...

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
thx guys. Based on your answers i found this : 4 pin hub

My French is non-existent, but from what I can see that will only split the fan header, it doesn't allow you to connect it to the PSU. If you do buy a fan controller it's best to get one with an external power connector.

However, since @tinyitx found the spec on those headers, and they can handle 2A each, you won't need extra power for the fans you're planning to use, and I know some of my Noctua fans have come with a 2 way splitter.

If you don’t have a splitter cable with your fan, this is the one you need.

https://www.amazon.fr/Noctua-NA-SYC2-accessoire-matériel-refroidissement/dp/B00KG8KCK4/

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Seems a better solution. One question : if i use the water pump header for 1 of the case fan, how will the speed of the fan be manager ? independantly from the CPU fan i hope ...
UEFI Bios/A-tuning software can control the speed of the fan connected to the pump fan header.
I am not 100% sure as I do not have that motherboard. But many (though not all) Asrock mobos are able to. But since this is a relatively modern and higher end model, I expect so.