Carbon Fibre, How thick does it need to be?

P2theG1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
So I'm looking into making an upcoming custom case/build using carbon fibre, my question relates to what thickness of carbon fibre I should be looking to use, 1mm, 2mm or 3mm?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I guess you could easyly go 1mm for all and be fine.
It could be really hard to do only 1mm though. Are you layering by hand? or you are going to mold it?
think about how many layers or carbon fiber fabric you want to use (probably 2 or 3 depending on the fabric) and make some tests.

My past roomate once build a track bike with it and I guess he used 7 layers on the tubes? cant recall for sure

Reactions: Biowarejak

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
and how to cut it e.g. in case of wanting an S4M-C side panel with the skyslots? can it be laser cut?

Carbon fiber plate is immune* to laser cutting. IT HAS EVOLVED!

It's also resistant to being water jet. You need lead-in points for a waterjet or it can delaminate. This makes parts like SkySlots nearly impossible on a waterjet because you would need to drill holes in every single cutout and have the beam exactly enter them all...very challenging setup.

Really high speed routing is the only way. Just need a way to deal with the dust which is pretty dang toxic and will stain anything to boot. I want to build a water table for this but ugh...time and money.

*there are ways to cut thin panels, but not practical without specialty systems.

Last edited:

drunker

Trash Compacter
Apr 25, 2017
there're a lot of factors you need to consider using carbon fiber especially making a custom case. The thickness would be the least of my concern when it comes to carbon fiber, it's strong enough for anything as long as you lay it out properly.
1. There are different weaves and they have different properties, such as unidirectional carbon fiber which is rigid in one direction and flexible in another.
2. pre preg or resin infusion.
3. carbon is conductive, it's going to short components if bare pcb is touch against it.

That's all I can think of right of my head. the conclusion is it's not the size matters, it's the way you use it. If you're just seeking for the looks, I recommend just going with a wrap just because it make life so much easier.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
@craigbru might have some light to shed on the subject

1mm is more than enough. Any more than that is truly overkill. Below is 1mm sidewalls on the case, and it could have held more. The angle also doesn't show the whole picture. There are multiple cutouts in the sides.