Cant use imgur anymore

Arelius

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 4, 2023
Hi guys,

I really enjoy that we as in Users here can use MEDIA and combine it with Imgur link and there is the album, clickable and nice an neat.

This work like the first time I used the services, after that it has all gone to .... (I actually cant see if the second album I have created works or not, not visually here at least)

(I have searched here on the forums, besides Google, Reddit, slack, etc, ran in some posts here and there, and I did read them, even this one)

So this is what I have done

- router configured with Google DNS (switched from always being on with auto)
- chrome, edge, firefox all changed to Google DNS (switch from being on standards/uto)
- also in win ncpa.cpl change to google Google DNS (was on auto earlier)
- I went through with above again several times, even with adb off and also completely removed

So when going from standard/auto to Google DNS, nothing changed for me (ofc I have flushed dns in cmd with success and do proper restarts) so I'm frustrerad, things like this is not suppose to be problematic anymore..

So, I switch plattform, same on my MBP, same on my iPhone with or without the app, same Wi-Fi network as earlier described.
Tried work-phone (Android), even did without the app installed, nothing helps.

I can't brows Imgur at all (of curse I have reached out to their services but with no luck yet)

So my conclusion is, my ISP provider have some filter or block on Imgur (this seems to be the case cause when I use my phones with Wi-Fi off the Imgur dose not have any issues), so my questions is now one or maybe two).

-Any other Services that actually have a neat album function that works with the forums MEIDA function?

- Is there any solutions for my situation? All and everything I find on these issues is from 2016-2018 and I have compiled all that and tried them out, nothing helps. Maybe is the solution to pay for Imgur...?

Here is some pics so you get visual confirmation of the issues I got from absolutely nowhere, they just apperd..

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and petricor

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Hi guys,

I really enjoy that we as in Users here can use MEDIA and combine it with Imgur link and there is the album, clickable and nice an neat.

This work like the first time I used the services, after that it has all gone to .... (I actually cant see if the second album I have created works or not, not visually here at least)

(I have searched here on the forums, besides Google, Reddit, slack, etc, ran in some posts here and there, and I did read them, even this one)

So this is what I have done

- router configured with Google DNS (switched from always being on with auto)
- chrome, edge, firefox all changed to Google DNS (switch from being on standards/uto)
- also in win ncpa.cpl change to google Google DNS (was on auto earlier)
- I went trhrow above again several times, even with adb off and also completey removed

So when going from standard/auto to Google DNS, nothing changed for me (ofc I have flushed dns in cmd with success and do proper restarts) so I'm frustrerad, things like this is not suppose to be problematic anymore..

So, I switch plattform, same on my MBP, same on my iPhone with or without the app, same wifi Newport as earlier described.
Tried work phone, even did with no a installed, nothing helps.

I can't brows Imgur at all (of curse I have reached out to their services but with no luck yet)

So my conclusion is, my ISP provider have some filter or block on Imgur (this seems to be the case cause when I use my phones with wifi off the Imgur dose not have any issues), so my questions is now one or maybe two).

-Any other Services that actually have a neat album function that works with the forums MEIDA function?

- Is there any solutions for my situation? All and everything I find on these issues is from 2016-2018 and I have compiled all that and tried them out, nothing helps. Maybe is the solution to pay for Imgur...?

Here is some pics so you get visual confirmation of the issues I got from absolutely nowhere, they just apperd..

I have the exact same issue.
Today I inserted my imgur links as usual (have already posted hundreds) using the bbcode, they show when switching from bbcode editing to the normal editor, but they disappear and show as a broken image icon afterwards.
Alternatively, inserting them using the image button in the editor again first shows them, but again, they disappear from the post once saving it and show the unhappy image icon

See below- this an image not part of an older post, inserted using bbcode and not working as of now:

Funny enough, when I insert a link to an image that is already part of an older post it shows - see here:

Both images are in the same imgur album so it can't be a permission issue.

Perhaps the board is running out of cache for new images?

Reactions: Phuncz and Arelius

Arelius

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 4, 2023
I have the exact same issue.
Today I inserted my imgur links as usual (have already posted hundreds) using the bbcode, they show when switching from bbcode editing to the normal editor, but they disappear and show as a broken image icon afterwards.
Alternatively, inserting them using the image button in the editor again first shows them, but again, they disappear from the post once saving it and show the unhappy image icon

See below- this an image not part of an older post, inserted using bbcode and not working as of now:

Funny enough, when I insert a link to an image that is already part of an older post it shows - see here:

Both images are in the same imgur album so it can't be a permission issue.

Perhaps the board is running out of cache for new images?
So it’s not only me, I thought I was going crazy.. a pandemic and I’m the only one infected :p

Hope we can get the the attentions from those in charge around here and perhaps find a workaround or some other solution! :)

Btw, now that I’m on 4G/5G IPS I can see both of your pictures in your post here but when I was on my Wi-Fi I couldn’t so for me it’s still as I think the internet provider who is filtering or not allowing some specific traffic.

I’ve been reading up on some addresses for imgur different services or maybe servers and some whitelists here and there but in my case I can’t really do anything with that information.

Reactions: Phuncz

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
So it’s not only me, I thought I was going crazy.. a pandemic and I’m the only one infected :p

Hope we can get the the attentions from those in charge around here and perhaps find a workaround or some other solution! :)

Btw, now that I’m on 4G/5G IPS I can see both of your pictures in your post here but when I was on my Wi-Fi I couldn’t so for me it’s still as I think the internet provider who is filtering or not allowing some specific traffic.

I’ve been reading up on some addresses for imgur different services or maybe servers and some whitelists here and there but in my case I can’t really do anything with that information.
interesting - tried 5g with no luck and then about 10 countries al around the globe using a VPN service to see whether it's a provider issue... all the same

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Hey folks! Sorry about this all - seems that we've had a burp in the caching - Our server rehosts images using the MEDIA tags for a while.

From our dev "Basically external images are downloaded and then rehosted locally to the site. After some period of inactivity those images drop off and will be remirrored next time their accessed. Improves page load time & prevents mixed content warnings in the browser"

It's super early where our dev lives (I dare not touch the servers!), so it may take a few before it's fixed.

Arelius

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 4, 2023
Hey folks! Sorry about this all - seems that we've had a burp in the caching - Our server rehosts images using the MEDIA tags for a while.

From our dev "Basically external images are downloaded and then rehosted locally to the site. After some period of inactivity those images drop off and will be remirrored next time their accessed. Improves page load time & prevents mixed content warnings in the browser"

It's super early where our dev lives (I dare not touch the servers!), so it may take a few before it's fixed.
Do you know of any other image hosting services that we user can or should switch over to since we do have even more issues then ‘just’ image loads/cashed here on the forums.

Reactions: Phuncz

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Update: When we rebooted the server after updates, it attempted to re-cache all the IMGUR images we had proxied (this is normal behaviour). Because there are so many, it's hit IMGUR's 429 Too many Requests error. This should resolve in the next day or so as the rate limit times out.

I'm looking at enabling attachments for subscribers - just checking a few things.

Arelius

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 4, 2023
Update: When we rebooted the server after updates, it attempted to re-cache all the IMGUR images we had proxied (this is normal behaviour). Because there are so many, it's hit IMGUR's 429 Too many Requests error. This should resolve in the next day or so as the rate limit times out.

I'm looking at enabling attachments for subscribers - just checking a few things.
Thank you for the update!

My initial question remains the same though; any other image hosting service with that kind of functionality that is embedded into the forum functions just as Imgur?

Last edited:

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
As per the list you get when you click the MEDIA button;

Screenshot 2023-05-15 183334.png
These are just the default ones that XenForo specifies, FWIW.

Happy to look at adding others if possible (and now I'm looking at whittling out the crap in the above list)

Arelius

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 4, 2023
As per the list you get when you click the MEDIA button;

View attachment 2527
These are just the default ones that XenForo specifies, FWIW.

Happy to look at adding others if possible (and now I'm looking at whittling out the crap in the above list)
Yeah, Flickr is the only one I found and tried, and those album links generated over there is no good with the media button. A entire Photostream works however but that would mean all ones uploads rather what is relevant to ones post.

Is there any other I have missed to give a try?

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Yeah, Flickr is the only one I found and tried, and those album links generated over there is no good with the media button. A entire Photostream works however but that would mean all ones uploads rather what is relevant to ones post.

Is there any other I have missed to give a try?
No idea, sorry, I use SFFn to host my images :p

Reactions: Arelius

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I've disabled proxying for Imgur images temporarily. I'll re-enable it when the broken cached files are dumped from the cache (7 days).