Log Another approach to brickless LLW V36Pro: 4.1L, 5950X + 4000 Ada SFF

Denzed

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 4, 2022
*final added height was 20mm, so this was the reason I put 4.1L in the title instead of original 3.8L size.

Although my build is not that dense compared to @Stifle, it may still bring something new :)

This is my first posting, so I will make it a bit of an introduction story.

After getting a 5950X for my dev needs I have found myself struggling to cool it silently enough, while still wanting to downsize. That's how I came through the following sequence of setups:
- Q300L which was even not SFF
- NR200 with Scythe Ninja 5 which was too big
- water cooled Densium 4+ V2 which was keeping me constantly anxious about the top mounted radiator possibly leaking and ruining everything.
Every one of them had something concerning me, so I kept searching for new variants.

Somewhere along the lines I have decided to avoid riser cables and their instability, so this was a list of requirements I came up with:
- classic layout
- air cooled, but enough for my 5950X (not OC kind of enough, but rather "not needing to limit it to 95W to stay under 90 degrees" one)
- somewhat quiet
- readily available (i.e. no heavy modding)
- as small as possible.

LLW V36Pro seemed ideal if it wasn't prohibitively expensive to get from Taobao to where I live. Luckily enough, at some point I have found @REVOCCASES selling one which led me to pull the trigger.
Initially, I was hoping to fit a GaN 250W somehow somewhere, so after I deemed it impossible without modding I was left with the following abomination until my DC-ATX arrived:

Lots of cables inside

Then the DC-ATX 200W's radiator turned out to be too fat, however it seemed to align nicely with the front wall effectively turning it into a radiator:

But I have soon found the SlimQ 240W shutting down under gaming load (not enough headroom for 19->12V conversion?), so I decided to give my 250W GaN another go
I started with fitment tests using brass standoffs (sorry for the blurry images)

The top one seemed easier to manufacture while adding less volume, so I have installed FreeCAD and after some time learning I was ready for a 3D-printed prototype. I have basically copied most of the details of the original case, while also trying to optimize cooling. The idea was to use CPU fan as exhaust, so the fresh air would come through the top helping cool the PSU, hence the angled vents:

Soon after, I got my 3D printed prototype. I had to shave off some printing irregularities here and there for proper fitment, but otherwise the measurements were spot on

Another semi-milestone was getting IS-55 and pairing it with a NF-A15 to try reducing fan-related noise pitch. All I get now is monotonous hum of air moving :)
I was also able to cram a pair of SATA SSDs underneath the GPU!

[As this post is getting lengthy I will fast forward several months of local CNC services' problems, changing to an international one with multiple redesigns to try and fit more features/cut costs].
Local quote was quite forgiving, so I decided to add some cosmetic details trying to replicate the top cover

But the manufacturing itself met all kinds of catastrophic failures, so I had to start from scratch. CNC services abroad were not that generous, so there I had to come through several iterations. Like this one, where I found out thinner plate milling to be significantly cheaper, so I decided to split the part into several thin pieces assembly:

And the final design. I reused the original case corners allowing for thinner part overall:

After ordering and waiting for a couple of weeks, I have got my sandblasted and anodized part. The overall finish was superb, although I may have chosen a rougher finish to match the case. Anyway, time to tap threads!

GaN 250W fits like a glove, although I had to cut corner pieces by a couple of mm at the local key shop

Halfway through the rebuild (sorry, bigger images failed to attach for some reason)

Ready to close the lid

Aaand finally done!

Just a comparison shot with the prototype part

Although I still have a couple more ideas, like air ducts and custom SATA SSD cases for reduced volume, plus looming AM5 upgrade, I think this build would stay essentially the same and continue being my main workstation for years to come
P.S. I would like to add that this project has opened a whole new world of self-designed parts and contract manufacturing for me, so I would like to try my hand at designing a small case around STX + LP GPU + MeanWell 12V combo in the future. Wish me luck :)

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Hey, this is inspiring. I may have a similar problem but upside down (since my GPU is upstairs). Seeing this, maybe I can try and redesign mine too.

Denzed

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 4, 2022
Hey, this is inspiring. I may have a similar problem but upside down (since my GPU is upstairs). Seeing this, maybe I can try and redesign mine too.
Glad my work was of help to someone!

V36Pro was actually really easy to modify due to its simple structure of six panels joined by corner cubes.
Because of that I even started contemplating a complete case design copy for cleaner final result, after the original manufacturer on Taobao said it would be too cumbersome to produce a custom design with increased height. He, however, was open to other types of customization not involving size changes, like my other idea of making a mount for a sensor panel.
Anyway, I took the path of least resistance by mostly reusing the original case :)

I hope the process would go smoothly for you!

Reactions: Elaman