Accessory Can I connect one USB C webcam + USB C microphone into one female USB C on the motherboard back panel?

Moncavo

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 11, 2020
Good evening.

I have two peripherals with USB C support, the microphone is BOYA model BY-HM2 and Webcam Streamcam Plus from Logitech, this one supports 1080p 60fps only for the USB C, otherwise got o 30 fps. The microphone has USB A and USB C cable. The motherboard that I will use is A520M-ITX/ac from Asrock brand, it has USB 3.2 Gen1 on the from the USB A and USB C back panel and in the internal header.

My MB: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/A520M-ITXac/index.br.asp#Overview

My initial plan is to get a USB C Splitter, an adapter of one USB C male to two USB C females. The most closest that I find is this one:

https://www.ubuy.co.mz/pt/product/4...b-2-0-otg-splitter-cord-converter-for-macbook

The problem that I see is that doesn't support video, only audio, and I wanted for the webcam.

My other idea is, but a very big work around, is to get an USB header > USB C header > any USB C Adapter or Splitter from the internal Motherboard.

Any tips?

Moncavo

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 11, 2020
You do not really need USB-C speed for the microphone. I'd just plug the webcam to the USB-C and the microphone to a separate USB-A.
On reddit they answered the same thing. Is just to reduce the cable clutter.
I have and started to use an USB 2.0 adapter, is 9 pin usb 2.0 to two female usb 2.0. I put two wireless dongles, a mouse and keyboard, and for my surprise is working fine, even in a closed desktop. In the past they hadn't work with other cases. Maybe is because my case has semi open side panel and is not metal. Now I wanna see the 3.2 gen 1 header for MB.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Electrical noise ? Chassis acting like a Faraday cage ?

Do you have a free PCI bracket at the back for something like this ?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
If it's a wireless keyboard, it's possible that your chassis blocks the RF signal (Faraday cage) ... or something is degrading the signal (noise).

Is your chassis on your desk or below it ? Some dongle / keyboard are sensitive to that, especially if you add the chassis weakening the signal.

Did you try with the side panels removed ?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
There is really zero reason to waste a USB-C port on that microphone - it doesn't have any I/O above USB 2.0, so use an A cable or a c-to-A adapter for it and leave it at that.

As for using internal adapters for receivers etc., case panels can block a lot of stuff, but also be wary of USB 3.x in that scenario, as USB 3.x uses 2.4GHz signalling and can produce a lot of noise and interference - which will only be made worse by it being trapped inside of a metal box. An easy test for this is to plug a USB 3.x thumb drive or external HDD into a port next to a wireless receiver, and then see if the connected peripheral is usable - most likely it won't be. Then again, no receiver will have any real use for USB 3.x either - they have zero use for the bandwidth (with the possible exception of MS's Xbox receiver, which IIRC supports "just" four controllers over USB 2.0, vs. 8 over USB 3.x). If your receiver worked with a USB2 adapter, why not just leave it at that?

Reactions: Moncavo

Moncavo

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 11, 2020
There is really zero reason to waste a USB-C port on that microphone - it doesn't have any I/O above USB 2.0, so use an A cable or a c-to-A adapter for it and leave it at that.

As for using internal adapters for receivers etc., case panels can block a lot of stuff, but also be wary of USB 3.x in that scenario, as USB 3.x uses 2.4GHz signalling and can produce a lot of noise and interference - which will only be made worse by it being trapped inside of a metal box. An easy test for this is to plug a USB 3.x thumb drive or external HDD into a port next to a wireless receiver, and then see if the connected peripheral is usable - most likely it won't be. Then again, no receiver will have any real use for USB 3.x either - they have zero use for the bandwidth (with the possible exception of MS's Xbox receiver, which IIRC supports "just" four controllers over USB 2.0, vs. 8 over USB 3.x). If your receiver worked with a USB2 adapter, why not just leave it at that?
That is why I got a 9pin internal to 2 usb 2.0 adapter, and is working.

Reactions: Valantar