SFF Workstation Building Advice Needed

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
@fabio @Valantar I almost forgot.. which thermal paste do you recommend I use?
If you're going with a Noctua cooler, the included paste is excellent (NT-H1, I believe? Can't remember the exact name). In addition to that, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or Gelid GC-Extreme have been my go-tos - all three are very, very close in terms of performance, ease of application, and clean-up. Gelid is cheaper, though.

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
If you're going with a Noctua cooler, the included paste is excellent (NT-H1, I believe? Can't remember the exact name). In addition to that, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or Gelid GC-Extreme have been my go-tos - all three are very, very close in terms of performance, ease of application, and clean-up. Gelid is cheaper, though.
And there is also the new Noctua NT-H2.
But the included one is perfect!
Look at the article released one week ago on SFF

https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/noctua-nt-h2-thermal-paste-shootout-does-sff-benefit

Reactions: Valantar

artbywaqas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
I contacted Noctua just to get some feedback on some of my concerns:

Q 01: I’m considering buying the NH-U9S for Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor.

Is it compatible with this CPU?

A 01: The NH-U9S can handle the Core i9-9900k - but not on full turbo: suggested maximum power limit: 215W.

About moving the cooler: https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail.html?faq_view=152

Q 02: In regards to transporting I’d only be carrying the case to and from the office. In the car I plan on lying the computer on its side so that the motherboard and cooler are facing up right.

Would even this movement be a problem?

A 02: Yes, that movement might be a problem - it doesn't have to be, but we cannot be held responsible for any potential damage.

turbo = overclocking on the new Intel and AMD cpus. There is no difference there. The cpu will automatically increase it's clock depending on how capable the cpu cooler is. The i9-9900k for instance draws 95W on stock clock (3.6 GHz). When using it's turbo to 5 GHz, the cpu will draw up to 250W which is significantly more. The NH-U9S can handle 215W, thus we would ask you to limit the max. power limit in your bios to 215W. That's already a significant "overclock" (more then double the standard TDP) that is done by your cpu automatically, called "turbo". ;-)

artbywaqas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
@Valantar @fabio

RAM - so I had purchased

Kingston - HyperX Predator 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory , CAS Latency 15

for $204.99

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wZ...2gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3000-memory-hx430c15pb3k232

Now I'm thinking I may have to actually get low profile RAM anyways and then I found this

Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit , CAS Latency 16

for $349.99

If I am thinking of upgrading to 64 gb total within the year anyways I'm thinking I'd be saving $50.

I guess this is a latency + speed question which is the better choice?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
@Valantar @fabio

RAM - so I had purchased

Kingston - HyperX Predator 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory , CAS Latency 15

for $204.99

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wZ...2gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3000-memory-hx430c15pb3k232

Now I'm thinking I may have to actually get low profile RAM anyways and then I found this

Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit , CAS Latency 16

for $349.99

If I am thinking of upgrading to 64 gb total within the year anyways I'm thinking I'd be saving $50.

I guess this is a latency + speed question which is the better choice?
Why do you think you need LP RAM? While it would probably help a bit in ease of building, possibly cable routing, and so on, I don't see tall RAM being an issue in a Cerberus with a U9s. The cooler is built for complete RAM compatibility, so there shouldn't be any interference there.

As you can see the front fan is entirely within the bounds of the mounting bracket (and thus the socket keep-out zone), and won't touch your RAM. The "rear" fan might possibly interfere with large VRM heatsinks/rear I/O covers on some motherboards, but that should be fixable by shifting the fan up a bit.

As for speed and latency, it's mostly a wash when they're that close. Back when AnandTech did their in-depth memory scaling reviews (like this) they used a "Memory performance index" calculated by effective frequency / CL, which in testing was a pretty decent predictor of performance (outside of very low frequencies or very high latencies). The kits you mention are 3200/16 = 200 and 3000/15 = 200 - i.e. likely to perform identically. Often lower latency kits (like a 3200C14 vs. 3200 C16) have better DRAM chips, but when the numbers are this close there's no real way of telling. In all likelhood they'll perform exactly the same. How well they tune/overclock is of course impossible to predict.

Still, if you can use more than 32GB of RAM and have the money, you're getting more GB/$ with the 64GB kit.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Why do you think you need LP RAM? While it would probably help a bit in ease of building, possibly cable routing, and so on, I don't see tall RAM being an issue in a Cerberus with a U9s. The cooler is built for complete RAM compatibility, so there shouldn't be any interference there.

As you can see the front fan is entirely within the bounds of the mounting bracket (and thus the socket keep-out zone), and won't touch your RAM. The "rear" fan might possibly interfere with large VRM heatsinks/rear I/O covers on some motherboards, but that should be fixable by shifting the fan up a bit.

As for speed and latency, it's mostly a wash when they're that close. Back when AnandTech did their in-depth memory scaling reviews (like this) they used a "Memory performance index" calculated by effective frequency / CL, which in testing was a pretty decent predictor of performance (outside of very low frequencies or very high latencies). The kits you mention are 3200/16 = 200 and 3000/15 = 200 - i.e. likely to perform identically. Often lower latency kits (like a 3200C14 vs. 3200 C16) have better DRAM chips, but when the numbers are this close there's no real way of telling. In all likelhood they'll perform exactly the same. How well they tune/overclock is of course impossible to predict.

Still, if you can use more than 32GB of RAM and have the money, you're getting more GB/$ with the 64GB kit.
The only things I can suggest is "buy what your budget allows you"!
There is no real difference between the 3000 and 3200 RAM. And the heatsink on the memory, especially with those speeds, are totally useless. Then, I suggest, get the 3200 low profile, and enjoy your build! :)

artbywaqas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
@LeChuck81 I already had 2 hard drives from before that I could use

I'll post a new thread showing my whole build process with photos very soon.
Hopefully others will find it useful in making decisions for their Cerberus Builds :)

I want to thank everyone here again for being so patient and generous in giving me advice.

I managed to put everything together this weekend. I powered on my computer and it didn't catch fire
so I guess I did everything correctly. ;P

I still need to go back and install the OS and software so I can actually start using my new computer :)

Reactions: fabio and Valantar

artbywaqas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
Here's the link to the results of my build