Need help choosing parts for a SFF build

raj.t99

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
I did a lot of research and was planning on a ryzen 5 build in a MC600 but I realized that that would be overkill for what I need, which is basically a system for web browsing/google sheets. That's pretty much the entirety of what I do. I'm not really trusting myself to choose parts without going overkill so I'd like some advice on what combination of parts you guys would recommend. Only stipulations are that it needs to support at least 3 monitors, preferably with all being 2560x1440, be less than 5 liters (preferably even lower), have at least 16gb of ram, and cost less than 600$. I have an m.2 256 gb ssd that I can use too. I'm thinking an i5 of some kind with a decent iGPU in an MC600/MC500 case could work well but I'm open to other options.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
not my expertese but there are lots and lots of cases like that.
problem is powering 3 monitors like that.... I know kaby lake can do 2x 4k.
You can go for finnicky display port multi monitor adapters.
But at their price you might as well get gtx 1050 low profile.
the gigabyte one actually can handle 4 displays.
If you want just 3 displays an RX 550 might also be an option.

At this point it doesn't matter what CPU you go for. I think the g46...somthing cheapo pentium intel core that everyone likes might be a nice option.
The RAM is gonna be the most expensive part in your build.
So I would look to see what second hand thing you can find.
If you find some cheap DDR3 you will need to go for an older system as well, but it might be worth it.
Hence I suggest you start building your system by choosing the ram first.

edit:
I did find a few H110M boards that have 3 -4 video ports but they only support up to two displays.

edit 2:

something like this might work
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H270M-ITXac/index.asp#Specification
supports 3 displays, but the dvi can only go up to 1920p

edit 3:

this NUC can handle it

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there might be problems with using 3x 2560x1440 displays on a RX550 I think. The maximum digital resolution of the card is 5120x2880 (according to Asus).

Same for the 560 and 570. Unless one of the monitors is in portrait.

EDIT: yeah I got corrected. It's just for each single port instead of total pixels

Last edited:

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Multi Display doesn't work that way so you do not need to worry.
It is how many displays it can handle at once, and the max resolution for each port.
If it can do 4k on all 3 ports, it can do 3 4k monitors.
that 5k resolution is for one display.

Edit: hold on, now im not sure about this anymore.....
But I am sure that multi display does not WORK like that.
Edit: nope, I was right. Max Digital Resolution means that at least one port can handle that for one monitor.

Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Ahh okay. Kinda struggling with this concept ever since buying my first GPU. Gonna prune my original comment a bit