Discussion Advice for SFF, easy to source

Moidhrg

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Sep 6, 2023
Hi, looking to make an SFF build. An APU and no GPU would be enough. Ryzen 7 5700G.
The parameters are:

1. parts easy to source and not too crazy expensive
looking for advice on what are the most common, mass available SFF parts, case and so on for an AM4 APU build. I have access to Aliexpress. Amazon orders are not available here. I'm based in Europe. I am looking for the most modular options.​
2. dimensions
looking for the smallest form i can get, that is easy to source. Ideally that would fit in a backpack. Smallest mini itx (or nano itx) there is for AM4.​
3. optional
looking for one with external power brick​
What parts would you reccomend? Also some generic tips? Is it smart to go for 5700G or wait for the next platform AM5 APU?
thanks

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I agree with @rfarmer that a Deskmini X300 will be pretty much the smallest APU build that's easy to use.
I would suggest an upgraded cooler is a, good idea as the stock one is not the greatest.
I took a cheap option with my A300 by fitting a Wraith Stealth I already had and added Noctua 80mm fan.

Reactions: rfarmer

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I'll third that.

DeskMini X300 will be the smallest you can get for AM4 APU and it's surprisingly performant.
I'd also recommend the Noctua L9A (or L9I with AM4 bracket if you find it much cheaper).

I ran a 5600G with 2x8GB DDR4 SODIMMs at 4000MHz and it FLIES.
I've since removed the VGA port and put an OCuLink in for access to an easily-removable eGPU option.

If you want smaller, 3D print or purchase a DeskNano kit from msystems to bring it down from 1.92L to 1.2L

I would consider a slightly higher output power brick if you can find a reasonably priced one. The stock one is 120W, which will definitely do the job, but 160-200W will allow you to spin up the CPU/iGPU/RAM as far as you want (Ryzen Master is your friend ;)) and never hit power limitations.

Similarly, I wouldn't bother with the 5700G for most use-cases, thanks to the 2 extra cores it uses noticeably more power but isn't a huge performance increase above the 5600G, so if you don't get a bigger power brick there's a reasonable chance of random shutdowns due to insufficient power.