Build for software development

PhilippNikko

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
Hi everyone. I`m looking for a PC build, that could be good in software development.
The software that I am going to use: ADE, XCode, Photoshop, Abode Illustrator.
No video editing, or rendering heavy project. I`m trying to build a fitness app . So I`m looking for a PC build with a budget of 1500-1700$. Amazon.
Can someone suggest me build?
Thanks, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I am going to make lots of assumptions, this is the internet after all.
- You are here so you are looking for a build in a small form factor case.
- You need those cores and cache, so you want a pretty good processor and thus a case which facilitates CPU cooling.
- GPU is likely not a priority or at least you don't need a $1500 GPU.

PhilippNikko

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
I am going to make lots of assumptions, this is the internet after all.
- You are here so you are looking for a build in a small form factor case.
- You need those cores and cache, so you want a pretty good processor and thus a case which facilitates CPU cooling.
- GPU is likely not a priority or at least you don't need a $1500 GPU.
Yes. I`m looking for i3 or i5 with low TDP. I heard Ryzen are hot
GPU mb not a priority, but I need smth enough for Photoshop and Adobe

BensTechLab

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 5, 2020
www.benstechlab.com
You say you're going to use XCode, are you planning on making a Hackintosh?
? This. XCode is Apple's development system. You might be best served with a mac-mini or macbook pro if you plan to develop Mac or iOS apps.

Many software developers end up with a nice PC as their main environment and then a mac-mini tucked away for XCode builds. Personally I use VSCODE everywhere (runs on macos, windows, linux) but also I do not develop for apple specifically.

Your signature says you already have a Ryzen 3700X on an X570 motherboard with 16GB ram. That's not bad for software development right there (I'd personally bump the ram up a notch). But add a mac mini under the table with a KVM switch and you have a mac XCode dev environment! And technically the mac mini is a SFF case. ?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Consider the Mac Mini if you want XCode. Otherwise you'll need to build a Hackintosh, which if you've never done it before will take some time to research and do correctly.

If you do not need to game, or do any GPU-based rendering, I can't recommend enough the Micro PCs that you can either get used or get out of Asia. What do I mean? You can find tons of these on AliExpress, here's an example from the /r/sffpc subreddit of someone who bought an i9-9880 version:
These are really tiny systems with the 45W laptop parts. For code compiling or other CPU-intensive tasks, these chips are outstanding. I would suggest a version of these with Renoir (AMD Ryzen 4000H) parts, but they don't seem to be as common or as cheap.

The other option is to buy a used corporate desktop that you could pick up off eBay or similar. Here's an example of one of these systems. There are other options would be a Dell Micro or Lenovo Tiny. All of these are tiny corporate PCs, and if you can find an older 6 or 8 core system for cheap used, these are fantastic performs on the CPU front.

If all you need is CPU power, it's hard to justify building your own.