jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
Original poster
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I didnt take all that many photos but meh.

Case: Norco 2u something-or-other
Mobo: MSI Gaming something-or-other
SSD: Samsung 128GB something-or-other
CPU: Intel 4570-T (iirc)
Cooler: Dynatron K666
Ram: Samsung DDR3 something-or-other
PSU: Antec Earthwatts something-or-other
PCIe: Exar DX1845 / DrayTek VigorNIC 132F / Multitech ZPX / Intel (IBM) quad port 1Gb NIC
TPM: MSI whatever

First off, obligatory glory shot. Most of this gear is 2nd hand so it doesnt quite have the bling factor but whatever, its fine.

Mobo, CPU & RAM in (shoutout to @confusis for helping me to find this board), 4 PCIe slots on a budget. Had to pull some of the drive cages to slide this in. The holes to get the screwdriver through on the drive cage mounting plate dont line up perfectly w/ the mount points for the mobo under them but whatever, its fine.

Cooler on, Fan is intake, its fine.

I needed a 2.5" to 3.5" mount adapter to slot the SSD in. True to form Australia Post mangled it. I had to drill out some holes on the bottom to load it into the 3.5" cage as the adapter only had screw holes on the side and the cage only had them on the bottom so i straightened it out a bit at the same time. No photos of that but just imagine this, with 4 extra holes in it.

PSU in. Had to find one that didnt intake through the top which led me to this old Earthwatts unit. I could have gone w/ an SFX in an adapter plate but this ended up being cheaper. Whatever, its fine. Will stuff those cable into the empty space where the 5.25" cage is. Also stuffed the SSD in (another shoutout to @confusis for selling me his SSD's at a good price)

The Multitech card didnt come w/ a half height PCI bracket. My initial plan was to just chop the full height bracket down but it wouldnt seat properly so another solution was needed.

New solution, cut off one of the card mounting points on a half height bracket because the card doesnt use standard mount points, chop a hole out of it for the ports. I made zero effort to do this cleanly, I have one more bracket left so might do it properly when i get the I/O shield for the mobo but if it works and im being honest i will probably never touch it again.

Build done. Whatever, its fine. Will bring it up under linux, update some firmware, poke it a few times then load pfsense onto it. Im waiting for an I/O shield to arrive from china, once it makes it off the slow boat i'll stuff it in there.

In the FridgeRack (they are on top of a microwave on top of a fridge hence the name). Not sure if i'll pull out the 1u box above it (my current pfsense system) or just repurpose it for something else. Im waiting on some 2.5" swap cages & an ethernet card to arrive for the server underneath so will likely deal w/ the mobo I/O shield and maybe do a better job of the PCI bracket when i pull the server out.

EDIT: typos