Motherboard Best VRM on B550I?

spiral

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
If you like to fiddle with things a reset bios button is very handy. Not that familiar with ryzen but it seems memory oc can be tricky. I used the reset button a lot on x79 when oc'ing, those days are gone for me tho, just want a system that works.

Reactions: manoueltiger

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yes it's like whining for the VRM powers...
I really don't understand all the mess for this ...
If you run a 3600 (like me) or a 3700X, it will be far enough ...

and the 3900X and 3950X isn't for everyone...

Actually I more or less understand now - some of the users who OC heavily will find it hard to reset the BIOS that way. And yes on the other side, there are other users like me & you, who don't really do OC, and for us, that BIOS reset location won't be an issue. To each his own :)

However I see a bigger issue here.. I start to see other B550 mini ITX motherboards in where I stay, and the price is around 70-80 USD more expensive than B450 mini iTX. So a B450 mini ITX is now around 140 USD, and B550 mini ITX is around 220 USD.

If this is going to be the last time AMD uses AM4 socket, I'm not sure if I have to force myself to upgrade now or wait further for, say, AM5..

Reactions: Madapcket

manoueltiger

Trash Compacter
Mar 10, 2020
Actually I more or less understand now - some of the users who OC heavily will find it hard to reset the BIOS that way. And yes on the other side, there are other users like me & you, who don't really do OC, and for us, that BIOS reset location won't be an issue. To each his own :)

However I see a bigger issue here.. I start to see other B550 mini ITX motherboards in where I stay, and the price is around 70-80 USD more expensive than B450 mini iTX. So a B450 mini ITX is now around 140 USD, and B550 mini ITX is around 220 USD.

If this is going to be the last time AMD uses AM4 socket, I'm not sure if I have to force myself to upgrade now or wait further for, say, AM5..

You know what ?
I ordered yesterday my strix b550i on Amazon.de (i should get it the 1st or 2nd july
They sold it at 215€ yesterday with 8€ shipping and aaaaaand !
ASUS offers a 30€ cashback with it ;).

i think it’s a nice offer

Reactions: ignsvn

gkdeleon

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 29, 2020

So based on this article It looks like Gigabyte has the best VRM for the ITX board.

Asus has 4(x2)+2 (50A)
Gigabyte has 6+2 (90A)
MSI has 8+2 (60)

Well balanced power phasing and much more heat spreader compared to MSI's board even if it has 8 true phases

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru

viral.voodoo

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 1, 2020
The way i see it, and after going through various technical essentialities i believe GIGABYTE variant is the most viable as they have a very balanced power phasing.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Am I the only one who cares a lot more about the iGPU/SoC VRM than the CPU VRM for these boards? It's not like Ryzens overclock all that much anyhow (and whether a manual OC is worthwhile at all is highly debatable given the inevitable loss of ST performance), and at ~144W sustained power for the top SKUs going all-out on the CPU cores, that should be entirely manageable for even a middling VRM setup. On the other hand, clocking that iGPU as far as it will go will likely pull a decent amount of power - likely comparable to at least a 65W TDP CPU - but that load is distributed across just two phases.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Am I the only one who cares a lot more about the iGPU/SoC VRM than the CPU VRM for these boards? It's not like Ryzens overclock all that much anyhow (and whether a manual OC is worthwhile at all is highly debatable given the inevitable loss of ST performance), and at ~144W sustained power for the top SKUs going all-out on the CPU cores, that should be entirely manageable for even a middling VRM setup. On the other hand, clocking that iGPU as far as it will go will likely pull a decent amount of power - likely comparable to at least a 65W TDP CPU - but that load is distributed across just two phases.

I had the same conclusion.
I bought an MSI MAG Mortar B550M for an upcoming APU build.
8+2+1 VRM should allow some room for playing with it.
It's an upgrade to my HTPC, so the initial benches will only be for shits n giggles.
I also needed 6 SATA ports which none of the ITX boards have............

cobalt60

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2018
It's an upgrade to my HTPC, so the initial benches will only be for shits n giggles.
SATA to m.2 pcie (2nd slot)?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It still only has 2 phases for the SoC though, from what I can tell that weird "+1" thing MSI is doing is just for the memory (which needs at least one phase, so, yes...). At 2x60A for MSI's boards the Gigabyte or anything using 70A or 90A phases should be better. Some boards have previously used weaker components on the SoC rail though, so that's worth an extra look too, even if I don't think that's likely with something made for Renoir.