Motherboard Best VRM on B550I?

cobalt60

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2018
MSI, why!?

sucks!
LPT: Connect your front panel reset header to Clear CMOS if you're into extreme overclocking.

Reactions: Madapcket

spiral

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
Just cancelled my preorder on the Asus card, since delivery date was pushed back too far. Looks like only Gigabyte and Asrock itx boards will be available here in the next couple of weeks.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
MSI, why!?

Wow, that is terrible. They must have been planning a rear panel button for it, and then just dropped it for some reason? And now you have to either remove the VRM heatsink or the fixed I/O shield to get to the jumper. Wonderful.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
MSI, why!?

Can help to enlighten me in what kind of scenario will we need to reset BIOS this way? I mean, you can always go into BIOS and set back everything to default values, right?

(Using my current build which is 6.5 years old, so far I never had to manually reset my BIOS using a jumper - but again I understand different user may have different needs)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I think you never overclock cpu/mem and don't know what is permanent reboot in memory traning.

I had to reset CMOS using jumper long ago, but it was in an mATX board where there's enough space.

Indeed I never need to OC so far. So can I say that in my scenario, I don't need to worry about that jumper location?

Redux-Limited

Caliper Novice
Sep 1, 2019
MSI, why!?

I suffered this with the MSI B450I Gaming AC already, once I was trying to OC the memory, got black screen and there was no other way around it, I literally had to take the whole PC apart, take the cooler, and THEN use a paper clip to jump it. Since then I never touched anything unnecessary on the BIOS besides PBO and XMP.

emrahkaracam

Cable Smoosher
May 21, 2020
I'm thinking of buy MSI B550i. But I hate active motherboard fan. What is this fan for? M2 or chipset? Would it be a problem if we disable it completely?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
M.2, remove two screws and it's gone.
Not sure if it frees up a fan header.
Most likely no, don't know about MSI's implementation to say for certain. Just from my experience with the X570i Aorus, the PCH fan header is a mini 4-pin, not standard so you'll need an adapter to even plug a standard fan in. Then there's no way to control it via software, in bios it only has 3 presets. This is why I hate tiny PCH/chipset fan with a passion!

emrahkaracam

Cable Smoosher
May 21, 2020
Most likely no, don't know about MSI's implementation to say for certain. Just from my experience with the X570i Aorus, the PCH fan header is a mini 4-pin, not standard so you'll need an adapter to even plug a standard fan in. Then there's no way to control it via software, in bios it only has 3 presets. This is why I hate tiny PCH/chipset fan with a passion!
This fan may have been made for m2. I think it's okay if we disassemble it.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
B550 on-board fans are for PCIe 4.0 SSDs (except the Asus which is for their lacklustre VRM), the chipset barely needs cooling at all. The fans can all be disconnected or removed if wanted, but most will only turn on if the SSD hits a certain (high) temperature.

Reactions: emrahkaracam

manoueltiger

Trash Compacter
Mar 10, 2020
Can help to enlighten me in what kind of scenario will we need to reset BIOS this way? I mean, you can always go into BIOS and set back everything to default values, right?

(Using my current build which is 6.5 years old, so far I never had to manually reset my BIOS using a jumper - but again I understand different user may have different needs)

Yes it's like whining for the VRM powers...
I really don't understand all the mess for this ...
If you run a 3600 (like me) or a 3700X, it will be far enough ...

and the 3900X and 3950X isn't for everyone...