Best SFF Case for CPU and Build Advice

Fin4l

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Hello,
I am new to the world if ITX size computers. I need to make a new build for music production, so GPU is not an important thing to consider in my situation.
The most important thing is CPU's temperature. I am going to buy a 9900k and use the PCIE slot for an audio interface.
The motherboard will be AsRock Z390, which supports bifurcation so maybe I could split the 1slot PCIE into two and put a GPU externally, when needed (using risers), or I'll buy a single slot GPU card to fit it inside the case with the audio interface.

I was looking to Optimus Tech's comparisons on CPU thermals in different cases and the best are Ncase M1 or Louqe S1 Ghost.
Streacom Da2 sees to be a valid alternative, but I am waiting for more reviews.
I don't know which one has more space efficiency for air flow and some great liquid cooling.
Any suggestions?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
While I love Streacom, the FC10 can cool up to 95W. This won't be enough to tame a 9900K.

You will have to decide if you go for air or water, and if you will add or not a GPU later. This will pretty much obliterate not suitable candidates.

Any storage requirements ? SFX PSU ? AC-DC + DC-DC combo ? Brickless ?

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
The M1, S1 or Da2 can't quite compete with SFF cases that fit proper tower heatsinks. Da2 is quite big at 17,5L and you could easily get 160mm+ of clearance at as small as ~13L.

Fin4l

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
While I love Streacom, the FC10 can cool up to 95W. This won't be enough to tame a 9900K.

You will have to decide if you go for air or water, and if you will add or not a GPU later. This will pretty much obliterate not suitable candidates.

Any storage requirements ? SFX PSU ? AC-DC + DC-DC combo ? Brickless ?

I think that I will go for water cooling because I read that it does the best job, is it right?
I hope to find an high wattage SFX to with enough power for the best components.
About storage, the best option to me would be at least 3 2,5'' SSDs, or 2 SSDs + 1 HDD.

The M1, S1 or Da2 can't quite compete with SFF cases that fit proper tower heatsinks. Da2 is quite big at 17,5L and you could easily get 160mm+ of clearance at as small as ~13L.

Okay, the Kraken x62 is a 280mm radiator, 140mm vertically. It might be the right choice for 9900k, so I have to find a case that fits this radiator and with the best cooling.

Fin4l

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
In the end I chose the Streacom Da2. It gives me the possibility to mount a liquid cooler and 280mm radiator.
I wonder if I could mount both Kraken x62 and an ATX power supply, because I won't install a GPU and this means more space for cables and maybe another SSD.

https://streacom.com/downloads/ug/da2-user-guide-180901.pdf

Do you thing that it will ifit this configuration?
- Asrock Z390 ITX
- 2x16 GB Crucial Ram 3200mHz
- SSD Crucial 1TB MX500 M2 for storage
- SSD Samsung EVO 860 256GB sata, for OS (already have one of these)
- ATX power supply (I have an old 700W from my previous PC, I wish I could install it without issues)
- RME HDSPe AIO PCIE Audio Interface
- NZXT Kraken x62
- More fans, if there's enough space, at the bottom for a better intake ventilation.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

This is how much space is available with the AIO and SFX PSU. An ATX PSU is 85mm plus the x62 and fan 55mm = 140mm. That would only leave 10mm for the tubing which would not be enough. The only option would be to rotate the AIO so the tubing is on the motherboard side, this is probably do able but would leave all the tubing on the motherboard side and would be difficult to cleanly route.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Using an ATX PSU in a DA2 will rob all the internal space in the front half of the case and the largest radiator that can still fit into is a 140mm.
Putting Kraken X62 into a DA2 is not a problem. But, the tubing off the radiator will interfere with an SSD installed next to a SFX PSU. However, if you do not use a display card, maybe all SSD/HDDs can be installed somehow on the bottom of the case.
Watch Hardware Canucks's video review where I obtain the above info.

Fin4l

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
I was specifically thinking about an SFX with no power restrictions for components (like putting a PCIE GPU externally, using a riser). Do you think I might go for more than 600W or would a Corsair SF600 be enough?

Fin4l

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Maybe something like the Lian Li 750w SFX might be a good space saver without compromises.

Could the Corsair SF600 be limitating?

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Even with a 9900k, 600w is more than enough for a CPU + single GPU.

This is my 2 cents, but going for a larger case like the DA2 and thinking about running the GPU outside of the chassis is kind of a waste.