Discussion SFF, but need 2 GPUs for a CRT

maxence

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jun 22, 2021
So, basically I'm a CRT nerd and with amd and nvidia dropping analog out support, my only way of using a CRT fully with any recent GPU is with also using an older card with analog out as a PhysX card. (I'm not really using PhysX it's just a dumb work around.)

I'm currently using a Titan X maxwell, which has analog out. But once I'm able to get a nvidia GPU for a non-scapled price, I'll get a low power single slot GPU for analog out (like a 750 ti).

Now that we're on the same page. I would like to go with a 3-slot m-itx case, but I'm not sure if I should try to use pcie bifurcation or m.2 to pcie adapter for the old GPU. I do play CS:GO competitively so I'm leaning towards the m.2 route, because I'm guessing the bifurcation might impact the main GPUs performance or output.

Then there's also the m-atx route, which basically solves all these problems by just having atleast one extra PCIe slot. But, it's quite a bit bigger.

Anyone have any ideas for what I should do, or small case recommendations that have 3 or more pcie slots?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Honestly, you won't lose much FPS, if any, with bifurcation ... but your motherboard has to support it. Sliger SM560 (11L) / SM580 (16L) are available with bifurcation as an option.

With m.2, you might need a powered riser as it can't provided 75W to the GPU on the PCIe slot.

I really miss my old Trinitron CRT (an IIyama with the 5x BNC connectors). When it died in early 2000's, moving to an LCD felt like a huge downgrade ... and that LCD was an EIZO one !

Last edited:

maxence

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jun 22, 2021
Honestly, you won't lose much FPS, if any, with bifurcation ... but your motherboard has to support it. Sliger SM560 (11L) / SM580 (16L) are available with bifurcation as an option.

With m.2, you might need a powered riser as it can't provided 75W to the GPU on the PCIe slot.

I really miss my old Trinitron CRT (an IIyama with the 5x BNC connectors). When it died in early 2000's, moving to an LCD felt like a huge downgrade ... and that LCD was an EIZO one !

Thanks for the response, it's interesting to see those x4, x8, x16 results. I was concerned about the frametimes being inconsistent, which is kind of illustrated 1%low in that video. But, oddly enough the 1%low for x16 is the lowest. That really doesn't seem right. I'll look at more benchmarks.

And yeah image quality is amazing on CRTs. I actually have the same monitor in that video you linked (GDM FW900), and it also uses BNC connectors :p. I think it's overrated though because it has a lot of issues keeping a sharp image on the sides.