Best 120mm AIO for a Lian Li TU150?

max3000

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
So I just ordered me one of those newfangled TU150 everyone (me) is so hype about.

The only downside for me is that I'll be stuck with either a 120mm AIO or a big tower cooler. (I am going with a high end CPU like the 9900k). The latter worries me since it might actually use that handle.

So I'm thinking the H80i V2 might be the best option since it's the thickest out there. Are there better options I might not be aware of?

Thanks.

amaximo

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 19, 2018
I'm using a Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC120E that I had originally installed in a Elite 110. The biggest concern is the CPU block which LC120E has a fairly low profile which with the radiator and 1 fan against the case puts the radiator right on the edge of the processor block. The block on the H80i V2 is pretty thick I do have it and I was planning on trying it out to see if it will fit. The LC120E is about 27mm while the H80i V2 is like 49mm. In addition to keeping the facing fan on the inside to a minimum I'm using the Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM which is pretty low profile.

Reactions: max3000

Cel

Chassis Packer
Jul 15, 2018
What I've understood based on all the reading done very intensely the past few days is that an AIO won't compete with the big tower-coolers such as Noctua D15 or U12A unless it's 280mm +.

Reactions: ermac318

sternbutfair

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 12, 2019
What I've understood based on all the reading done very intensely the past few days is that an AIO won't compete with the big tower-coolers such as Noctua D15 or U12A unless it's 280mm +.

Agree with this. I don’t think using this case with a 120mm radiator makes sense. It’s big case for itx and might as well use that space to put in a large tower cooler and get 240mm aio performance or better.

I’m running a Scythe Fuma 2 in my TU150 and I’m happy with how it fits and performs with my 3700x.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
As has been said earlier, go with a U12A or D15/D15S for your CPU cooling, it will outperform any 120mm AIO.

monitorhero

Efficiency Noob
Dec 1, 2019
I have a question on this topic since I have the TU150. At work I have a 3950x with an H80i running at max 68°C and my 3900x with the NH-D15 runs at 77°C with front intake and rear exhaust fan. Signifcant difference. So is a 120mm AIO actually worse?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I have a question on this topic since I have the TU150. At work I have a 3950x with an H80i running at max 68°C and my 3900x with the NH-D15 runs at 77°C with front intake and rear exhaust fan. Signifcant difference. So is a 120mm AIO actually worse?
That depends on the case, motherboard/BIOS power/boost settings, fan curve, windows configuration, workload, GPU heat, ambient temperatures, etc. You can't just directly compare one data point like that across two different builds in two different settings. Also, most reviews show the 3950X to be better binned than the 3900X and thus no more difficult to cool despite the added cores, at times even easier depending on your luck in the silicon lottery.

monitorhero

Efficiency Noob
Dec 1, 2019
That depends on the case, motherboard/BIOS power/boost settings, fan curve, windows configuration, workload, GPU heat, ambient temperatures, etc. You can't just directly compare one data point like that across two different builds in two different settings. Also, most reviews show the 3950X to be better binned than the 3900X and thus no more difficult to cool despite the added cores, at times even easier depending on your luck in the silicon lottery.

I am totally aware of those facts. I was just wondering if I could see improvements if I would cool my 3900x with an AIO. The bios settings at work are untouched and at home I even had to undervolt my 3900X with -0,05V Offset. Both use an ASUS motherboard. Fan curve is already pretty aggressive on my ITX build. With the AIO at work the heat output becomes very stable while on my 3900x it keeps rising until 77/78°C

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I am totally aware of those facts. I was just wondering if I could see improvements if I would cool my 3900x with an AIO. The bios settings at work are untouched and at home I even had to undervolt my 3900X with -0,05V Offset. Both use an ASUS motherboard. Fan curve is already pretty aggressive on my ITX build. With the AIO at work the heat output becomes very stable while on my 3900x it keeps rising until 77/78°C
Still, the only way to know is to test. Even motherboards from the same OEM can have wildly varying power and boost behaviours, especially across different CPUs. Then there's airflow, case restrictions, etc., etc. It also sounds like one is an ITX system and the other is not, which further invalidates any direct comparison. In general a large air cooler normally matches or beats a 240mm AIO, but that doesn't apply if the cooler has poor access to air or other restrictions apply.

monitorhero

Efficiency Noob
Dec 1, 2019
Still, the only way to know is to test. Even motherboards from the same OEM can have wildly varying power and boost behaviours, especially across different CPUs. Then there's airflow, case restrictions, etc., etc. It also sounds like one is an ITX system and the other is not, which further invalidates any direct comparison. In general a large air cooler normally matches or beats a 240mm AIO, but that doesn't apply if the cooler has poor access to air or other restrictions apply.
Yeah the work system is a huge case while the one with the 3900x is the TU150X. The TU150X one uses an NH-D15 with two fans plus two case fans (front and back) to give maximum airflow while the system at work only has a fan on the top and rather poor ventilation. A 10 degree gap or more between the two systems seems rather extreme. I have the feeling an AIO can absorb the heat quicker then my air cooler but since the TU150X can only fit a 120mm AIO I am not sure to give it a try or not. Voltages of the 3950X (X570-A) at work are also higher than on my system with 3900X (X570-I Gaming). But I guess it is hard to draw a direct comparison

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
A super-duper thick 120mm AIO with Push Pull would be well performing. It's just the typical 25-30mm rads with 1 fan that don't work as well as something like the D15. A Corsair h80i would perform really well, as you saw.

monitorhero

Efficiency Noob
Dec 1, 2019
A super-duper thick 120mm AIO with Push Pull would be well performing. It's just the typical 25-30mm rads with 1 fan that don't work as well as something like the D15. A Corsair h80i would perform really well, as you saw.

Ok that is interesting. I ordered the H80i v2 and then we will see if it actually improves my thermals.

Reactions: MaDMaX68