Anandtech [AT] MSI CUBI2 mini-STX Systems Announced

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
So it's 1,35L in volume, So a bit bigger than an SFX-L PSU. Having a quad-core 2.8GHz with 32GB of RAM in such a tiny box is interesting.
I might consider these as an office PC for work if the price/performance is better than the NUC.

According to TPU (source) it's a SATA M.2, I hope other STX barebones will offer PCIe storage.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
I think the mSTX format currently has too many limitations (fixed I/O) compared to mITX for the shrink in volume. I do agree that for the right application, the mSTX form factor in a mass-produced system could be the bomb.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
So it's 1,35L in volume, So a bit bigger than an SFX-L PSU. Having a quad-core 2.8GHz with 32GB of RAM in such a tiny box is interesting.
I might consider these as an office PC for work if the price/performance is better than the NUC.

According to TPU (source) it's a SATA M.2, I hope other STX barebones will offer PCIe storage.

I'm pretty sure we'll see mSTX boards with PCIe M.2 as well, that's one of the only things you can differentiate yourself with as a board manufacturer. I think there will be mSTX barebones smaller than this one, though.

I think the mSTX format currently has too many limitations (fixed I/O) compared to mITX for the shrink in volume. I do agree that for the right application, the mSTX form factor in a mass-produced system could be the bomb.

Yeah it's only really office use where I see it working out, for everything else you can get an ISK110 or similar case and have so many more options.
The biggest gripe I have with it is the fixed rear I/O, as you said. It's cool to know that you'll be able to upgrade one of those MSI boxes later on, but it's only to get a newer processor or maybe upgraded USB instead of anything else. It will see massive use in pre-built systems, though, just because it makes manufacturing and design so much easier.