News Maingear Crams Mini-ITX, Full-size GPU into 34" AIO PC

The concept of all-in-one desktop personal computers was invented to save space and simplify design of PCs. While there are a lot of traditional AIO desktops available today, leading PC makers began to address performance-demanding market segments with specially-designed models several years ago. At the Consumer Electronics Show on Monday, boutique PC maker MAINGEAR introduced the world’s first AIO desktop featuring top-of-the-range gaming or even server components.

The MAINGEAR Alpha 34 is a giant all-in-one desktop with 34” curved display with 3840×1440 resolution. Unlike the vast majority of AIO PCs, the Alpha 34 is powered by industry-standard mini-ITX motherboards — the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Impact or the ASRock X99E-ITX for high-end configurations (Intel H110-based mainboard is available as an option for lower-cost configurations). The system can use various microprocessors in LGA1151 or LGA2011 form-factors, including Intel Core i3/i5/i7 or Intel Xeon with up to 18 cores and up to 45MB of cache. The AIO desktop uses the company’s own closed-loop liquid cooler in order to ensure stability of desktop and server microprocessors.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9900/...inone-pc-with-18core-xeon-geforce-gtx-titan-x

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
34" is a lot of space for a m-itx AIO... Without layout images though, it's hard to tell what limitations they had

|||

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
It still looks relatively thin. I am thinking the two vents on the back are over the motherboard and GPU with a long flexible PCI-e riser reaching behind the GPU to keep the fan pointed out...not unlike the !nverse.

I'd be interested to find out what their PSU solution was, though.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Watching CES 2016 coverage, we noted a rather interesting trend - 34" Curved screen AIO systems. Quite a few of them - there have been 3 launched so far, and it's only the first day of the event!

All in ones have always been on the borderline of decent setups - they're never really been upgradeable. This looks to be changing though, as 3 major pre-built system manufacturers have launched new AIO products.

Read more here. Thanks to MiniModder for the tips!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Hmm...I wonder if that's the same 40mm Asetek rad the Corsair H5 SF uses

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
All in ones have always been on the borderline of decent setups - they're never really been upgradeable. This looks to be changing though, as 3 major pre-built system manufacturers have launched new AIO products.
Frankly, I consider that a failure of the thin mini-ITX market than the AIOs, there's just not many boards out there, and many of them are OEM only, and due to the specifications, I have only seen one with an x16 PCIe slot. I have seen a few (OEM only) boards with MXM, but those are few and far between, and it's still hard to find an MXM GPU and even harder to not suffer a severe markup.

These AIOs we are seeing that take larger stuff are all well and good, but I think they might be a bit too chunky by necessity.

Reactions: confusis

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
And it seems to be 150mm long, too, so I suspect they're using the FSP500-50FSPT, which is the only sensible choice if you want to power high-end components with FlexATX.