News [AT] Digital Storm announces Project Spark WC STX prebuilt w/MXM

psycho88

Average Stuffer
Jan 18, 2017
I wonder if Swiftech will sell the water blocks as stand alones.

I'm not sure Swiftech will sell the mxm full cover waterblock in the meantime,,
this is the 1st time I see full cover water block for MXM GPU platform, hope in the future the MXM GPU will be cheaper and easier to buy,,

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
So, I'm guessing this is just a repackaged DeskMini.
I don't believe Digital Strom produces any actual parts, and I can't think of anyone else making those boards, though they obviously would have to have been working with AsRock for some time now since the Coffee Lake mSTX just got announced.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
ah,, I thought it was 120mm Rad, well I was browsing their website, but I can't Find the spec for project spark,
with 92mm rad, i think OCing the CPU and GPU won't be recommended, wish they could sell it as a barebone, for CPU, GPU, LCS,
I think that - like power supply wattages - radiator sizes are perennially overestimated for the actual heat load. Often because the goal is to both overclock and to achieve radical (multiple tens of degrees) temperature reductions, rather than just overclock and maintain adequate in-spec thermal performance.
There's plenty of space in that top section for the 'extra tall' (though I can't find any pictures of it in isolation) 92mm rad; if it's something off-the-shelf like Hardwarelabs 52mm thick GTX92 then you have 440cm^3 (nearly half a litre) of fin-containing volume to work with. For comparison, the GTX 1080 FE's heatsink is ~120x90x25mm, or ~270cm^3. That can handle the desktop-class 1080 (180W TDP), so the nearly double size rad can in theory handle it plus ~120W capacity to spare for the CPU given the same airflow.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
So, I'm guessing this is just a repackaged DeskMini.
I don't believe Digital Strom produces any actual parts, and I can't think of anyone else making those boards, though they obviously would have to have been working with AsRock for some time now since the Coffee Lake mSTX just got announced.

No matter if it is a repurposed DeskMini, this is how it SHOULD be. While I like the simpleness of the Deskmini, having a 8700K + a 1080 in such a small case with only air cooling is not ideal.

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
Wow, very cool. I'll be interested in seeing how they price the MXM hardware.

This made me think, wouldn't it be cool if you could combine the CPU and GPU block into one integrated piece. While it looks super neat all hard-lined like that - it would be even neater if it was one piece. Anyone know of this being done before?

Reactions: Sashby

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I think that - like power supply wattages - radiator sizes are perennially overestimated for the actual heat load. Often because the goal is to both overclock and to achieve radical (multiple tens of degrees) temperature reductions, rather than just overclock and maintain adequate in-spec thermal performance.
There's plenty of space in that top section for the 'extra tall' (though I can't find any pictures of it in isolation) 92mm rad; if it's something off-the-shelf like Hardwarelabs 52mm thick GTX92 then you have 440cm^3 (nearly half a litre) of fin-containing volume to work with. For comparison, the GTX 1080 FE's heatsink is ~120x90x25mm, or ~270cm^3. That can handle the desktop-class 1080 (180W TDP), so the nearly double size rad can in theory handle it plus ~120W capacity to spare for the CPU given the same airflow.
This is correct. Not only that this radiator size is enough for this configuration, but you have to take into account that water is more efficient in transvering heat, meaning that the heat will be dissapated faster.

Reactions: owliwar

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
No matter if it is a repurposed DeskMini, this is how it SHOULD be. While I like the simpleness of the Deskmini, having a 8700K + a 1080 in such a small case with only air cooling is not ideal.

If the MXM air cooling solution was more advanced, then air cooling of the MXM would be completely appropriate.

Toms Hardware is reporting a price 'starting at' $1,299 for a GTX 1060... ouch.

699 USD base, 155 for RAM, 275 for an i5 8400 is 1155 and that is before water cooling and base configuration storage. This might actually be a better deal than buying and speccing out your own system as a barebones.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
How can I resist as watercooling is done by my favorite brand, Swiftech...:D

Very gorgeous setup...quick to have an AM4 version!

The issue is that STX is an intel-invented thing. I'm not sure we will see AMD on that platform. I hope we will, but I doubt it.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
well you know, micro ATX, mini ITX were designs from Intel..:D

Let's see..:D
I hope you are right. But considering AM3+ never got an mITX platform, I don't see Ryzen getting into this platform. Perhaps in a few generations from now.

But hey, we can always hope for the best, and hope that I am wrong in this matter. XD

Reactions: Soul_Est

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
With a bit more time, Swiftech could work out a full cover for both the CPU and GPU with G1/4 ports placed on the edge of the block, not on the top.

Then, with a slim HardwareLabs 180 mm radiator placed underneath the motherboard, they could keep the whole thing into a 2U enveloppe, with more than enough cooling capacity.

Last edited:

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
With a bit more time, Swiftech could work out a full cover for both the CPU and GPU with G1/4 ports placed on the edga of the block, not the top.

Then, with a slim HardwareLabs slim 180 mm radiator placed underneath the motherboard, they could keep the whole thing into a 2U enveloppe, with more than enough cooling capacity.