Motherboard ASUS X470-I GAMING BIOS Update

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hello everyone,

So maybe a bit of a newbie question to you all, but I'm currently on BIOS 2703, which the retailer that I purchased the motherboard from updated for me to support my 3700X.

I'm aware that there's an 3004 version now, but I'm a bit afraid to update it in case it might brick the motherboard.

And if anyone is asking, nothing is wrong with my current system, it's working just fine. Although, I know now a days it's a good practice to keep the BIOS up to date for the most recent performance improvements etc.

Can anyone clarify if the BIOS is a CAP file? And if you would choose another file that isn't a CAP in the BIOS to update, will the motherboard tell you that it's a wrong file or will it try to update anyway and potentially break something?

I'm an experienced PC builder, yet when it comes to the BIOS, overclocking etc, I have some experience, but never needed to actually update the BIOS, hence my fear and this thread.

I would update it using a USB flashdrive on a USB port on the back of the motherboard, in case anyone wonders.

Thank you,
Dawelio

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I don't have this board but I would suggest the update. 2801 updates to 1.0.0.3 ABBA which is the update that allows your CPU to reach full boost clock, 3004 updates to 1.0.0.4 patch B which improves system boot time. I had the MSI B450i and with my 3600x I was only hitting 4.2 GHz and the update allowed me to hit 4.4 GHz like it should.

Reactions: Dawelio