Motherboard cant update BIOS on asrock B650e PG ITX- reboot or power off at 0%

XcPNehVYlE4A3C

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
hey all, am stuck here and need some help.
B650e phantom gaming ITX. updated to bios 1.24 when i got the board with no issues.

no bios flashback available, so i'm using instant flash. every time i select the bios to update, i get the 'updating' popup with the progress bar at 0% and then an immediate shutdown or reboot.

PC runs fine, no issues, but i want to move to a newer BIOS for some new larger capacity memory

i have:
- disabled AMD fTPM
- disabled any secure boot
- reset bios to defaults, which removed any memory/EXPO settings. memory and CPU at stock clocks
- removed GPU and all drives, re-seated memory, tried just 1 stick at a time
- reset CMOS - placed a jumper on the cmos reset, did not disconnect battery - i assume the battery is somewhere under the VRM heatsink and the manual doesnt mention disconnecting the battery at all...
- tried different usb sticks and usb ports
- tried updating to every single BIOS version (theres about 4-5 between my current one and the latest)

same results, instant 'click' and power-off or reboot at the 0% progress bar.

thanks in advance for any ideas

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
What BIOS you trying to flash? I wouldn't flash the beta BIOSes, I have this board and I'm still using the last full release (1.28).

Remove anything not needed to flash - drives/NVMe and GPU

You can try ASRock support - they were great when I was having issues with it not recognising sensors - fast response..

Reactions: XcPNehVYlE4A3C

XcPNehVYlE4A3C

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
they just released 2.0, non-beta. i'm trying to update because i just got a fast 96gb RAM kit and i'm hoping the latest AGESA updates will help with RAM issues that some have had with large kits.

i just contacted asrock support, they were great for my asrock rack boards, so hopefully they can help. thanks!

Reactions: rfarmer

XcPNehVYlE4A3C

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
yeah i read that thread, did everything suggested on there, nothing worked for me.

AsRock sent me an RMA.

thanks for the help everyone.

this board has been great but I really wish they had BIOS flashback!

Reactions: rfarmer

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
If they flash it for you and find nothing wrong .....guess
The board you get back will not be new, it will be a refurb, flashed. Unless the serial is the same.
They all do this.