Motherboard Trying to update my BIOS, clueless on what MB I have

User-1

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Hello all,

I have an old Shuttles Case and I thought motherboard, but it's not. I can't find any info on the MB other than some numbers, 71R-FG4100-T820.

Here's somewhat the history of it. I put together a Shuttle SFF pc years ago. I first installed Win7 and then I was going to install a Linux OS. I installed 8GB of ram, but the BIOS was only reporting seeing 4GB. The computer ran OK with 4GB but I wasn't really inspired to move forward with doing anything more, since I was busy at that time. So nowadays I went ahead and just installed Linux and started from there. I thought that maybe either one of my memory cards was bad or one of the two memory slots were bad. I figured the first to do was find out which one it is. Since now my computer is running like crap. It ends up that both slots are good, as are both cards (2 x 4gb)! So I guess I have to update the BIOS. Hopefully then I'll have my 8GB of ram. The problem is that I'm not finding anything with the number above.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can update my BIOS?

(Hopefully this is the right forum for this. If not, let me know and I'll remedy it.)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome ! That number doesn't ring any bells, usually there's a model number somewhere around the CPU socket or near a PCIe connector. Would it be possible to make a photo of the motherboard and some specs what kind of hardware is in it, like chipset, RAM support, etc.

If you're talking about 2x 4GB and only 4GB being recognized, I would expect it to be DDR2 RAM, since DDR3 shouldn't have an issue with 4GB sticks but DDR2 did from time to time.

User-1

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome! Glad to find the site!

OK I managed to get a couple of pics that would be of great help. Looks like this is a Shuttle MB!

To post pics here is via a url? Can't do it from my computer? BRB

I'm just posting the link here..........

Last edited:

User-1

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
OK I understand.

Man I'm not really finding anything with these numbers. Shuttle's site wasn't any help either.

User-1

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Wow thanks for the help! Yeah I have the SG41J1 Plus. I'm using DDR3, http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cmx4gx3m2a1600c7

The latest BIOS is .110, I currently have .101

The site gives a checksum. So I'm going that route. I've never done that before, but always wanted to. I'm using Ubuntu 16.04. The disk used for installing my 64 bit OS was from this Linux mag that Ubuntu put out. The download has three files, a DOS file, a W32, and a W64 file. Any idea how to approach this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Wow thanks for the help! Yeah I have the SG41J1 Plus. I'm using DDR3, http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cmx4gx3m2a1600c7

The latest BIOS is .110, I currently have .101

The site gives a checksum. So I'm going that route. I've never done that before, but always wanted to. I'm using Ubuntu 16.04. The disk used for installing my 64 bit OS was from this Linux mag that Ubuntu put out. The download has three files, a DOS file, a W32, and a W64 file. Any idea how to approach this?
I downloaded the latest BIOS update (.ZIP) and tried to extract it but no dice. Last time I went about updating the BIOS, I used grub4dos to make the drive bootable.

User-1

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The memory in that picture says it's "4GB (2x2GB)" and according to Corsair it's a 4GB kit, meaning 2 sticks of 2GB each. So you can't have 8GB if they are two 2GB sticks. But even if it was two 4GB sticks, it has a high voltage spec of 1.65V while standard DDR3 used 1.5V, this might also be a problem if the picture isn't from your own stick of RAM.

I've had this problem with DDR2 and 2.1V sticks causing all sorts of issues when I use four sticks of them, I have start upping various voltages of components to even be able to boot. Shuttle's boards are usually less flexible and can be difficult about above-average RAM voltages.

Reactions: Soul_Est