Motherboard ASUS Tinker Board

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Interesting. Without having used an RPi, I can't really judge though. SBC is above my skillset. @j0rd knows a lot more though!

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Gareth Halfacree [Journalist/reviewer/SBC guy] says on Bit-Tech that although it only runs a couple of odd OSs, it does 'go like the clappers' even compared to an RPi 3
Not sure I like the idea of it 'Trumping' RPi; there's plenty of that in the USA thanks ;)

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Loads of boards beat an Rpi in performance, that not the killer feature. The Rpi has a thriving aftermarket of hardware, a thriving community maintaining their debian spin, a thriving community of people to do support & outreach, etc. Also, none of that touches on their education presence, the work of the foundation, the raspberry jam sessions they run, the magazine they prop up, etc, etc, etc. Asus need to bring alot more to the table than a quad core rockchip imo.

also: according to this (thanks @confusis for the link)
For software Asus says that it has released its own OS for the Tinker Board, based upon Debian like the Raspberry Pi OS.
This is a not insubstantial effort to maintain over time and the failing of alot of pi clones imo.

EDIT: dont get me wrong i'd love to see this take off and become a thing Asus really cares about over the next few years, im just not convinced they will

Reactions: stree and ricochet

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Yeah, the cool thing about RPi is there are already countless builds for everything. I use an RPi2 as a Plex head to stream movies to a TV. I was looking the other day at getting a Raspberry Pi Zero with a USB Hub hat and making an uSFF NAS with some old external USB hdds.

There is a guy who used RPis to multicast captured TV signals over his network. Others have turned them into security cameras, pirate drop boxes, etc etc. The best thing about them is being relatively cheap and everyone is working on different projects using it.

Also see the Banana Pi M3, which has onboard SATA, 2ghz 8 core cpu, integrated BT and wireless and gigabit ethernet.

Last edited:
Reactions: stree and ricochet

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Loads of boards beat an Rpi in performance, that not the killer feature. The Rpi has a thriving aftermarket of hardware, a thriving community maintaining their debian spin, a thriving community of people to do support & outreach, etc. Also, none of that touches on their education presence, the work of the foundation, the raspberry jam sessions they run, the magazine they prop up, etc, etc, etc. Asus need to bring alot more to the table than a quad core rockchip imo.

also: according to this (thanks @confusis for the link) This is a not insubstantial effort to maintain over time and the failing of alot of pi clones imo.

EDIT: dont get me wrong i'd love to see this take off and become a thing Asus really cares about over the next few years, im just not convinced they will

^ This
The RPi community is really what gives it such strength. It was a good move on the foundation's part to get RPis out to enthusiasts and developers before embarking on their education programme.
As you say there are more powerful boards out there, but none with the huge following behind it.

I still wouldn't mind having one with a SATA port tho'

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Personally I'd prefer M.2 to remain cable-less and due to the SFF of the storage device. But yes, storage would be a huge upgrade. Especially if they ever switch to USB 3.0 for power.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thanks but I'm more interested in native support than SATA over USB, perhaps even PCIe + NVMe.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Thanks but I'm more interested in native support than SATA over USB, perhaps even PCIe + NVMe.
the Cubidboard range is quite popular amongst people looking for sata. Alternatively there is the 86Duino-One has arduino compatibility, mPCIe and an x86 CPU if thats a thing you care about.

Reactions: Phuncz