News ASUS STRIX B350I GAMING

d10ng

Caliper Novice
Oct 3, 2017
I've bought from eclipse before, it's been a while but I'd be surprised if they fulfilled 2-3 days.

Ha the Latvian guy getting grief already for buying the x370i. I do despair at the internet some days.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Rousseau

Cable Smoosher
Oct 25, 2017
The Asus rep said to expect them in US/Canada over the next two weeks. Hopefully we'll start seeing pre-orders soon.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
So does this means the B350 version won't have M.2 NVME support? My Asrock AB350 supports M.2 NVME and that's why I use Corsair MP500. If Asus B350-I didn't support it, it's a bummer, but paying premium for just the NVME support is kind of a pain.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
So does this means the B350 version won't have M.2 NVME support? My Asrock AB350 supports M.2 NVME and that's why I use Corsair MP500. If Asus B350-I didn't support it, it's a bummer, but paying premium for just the NVME support is kind of a pain.
They both have 2 M2 slots.
But B350 only have enough bandwidth to do one on nvme speed (pcie 3.0 x4) and one on sata speed, while x370 can do the other one on pcie 2.0 x4 speed which is faster than sata but a bit less than nvme.

So if you plug in an nvme ssd to the back of the b350-i, it'll just be limited to sata speeds. Good for those slower but cheaper nvme ssds like wd blue, intel 600p. Or older m2 sata ones.

Reactions: Acalanata

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
They both have 2 M2 slots.
But B350 only have enough bandwidth to do one on nvme speed (pcie 3.0 x4) and one on sata speed, while x370 can do the other one on pcie 2.0 x4 speed which is faster than sata but a bit less than nvme.

So if you plug in an nvme ssd to the back of the b350-i, it'll just be limited to sata speeds. Good for those slower but cheaper nvme ssds like wd blue, intel 600p. Or older m2 sata ones.
Was asking the question because the screenshot of the MB spec only said M.2 PCIE specifically on the X370-I while the B350-I only stated M.2. My current MB is Asrock AB350 ITX with back mounted M.2 slot, with a custom heatsink mounted on my NVME M.2. I'm planning to move to Cougar QBX, which has very tight rear panel hence it's impossible to use my custom NVME M.2.

If that's the case though, I'm buying the ROG Strix B350-I, hoping it comes to my country no later before end of the year.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Yeah that should be a good idea. The elevated design plus heatsink seems to keep those hot nvme ssds 10 deg C cooler, some review said.

Btw a little correction to my comment above, an m2 slot with pcie 2 x4 is actually fast enough for fastest current gen nvme ssds. Theoretically you'll probably get the same bench if you put the same drive in either.

So we can say x370-i board practically supports 2 nvme drives.

Edit: wrong again. Samsung 960 pro tops out at whopping 3500MB/s, that can't be done on pcie 2 x4...

Last edited:

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Yeah that should be a good idea. The elevated design plus heatsink seems to keep those hot nvme ssds 10 deg C cooler, some review said.

Btw a little correction to my comment above, an m2 slot with pcie 2 x4 is actually fast enough for fastest current gen nvme ssds. Theoretically you'll probably get the same bench if you put the same drive in either.

So we can say x370-i board practically supports 2 nvme drives.

Edit: wrong again. Samsung 960 pro tops out at whopping 3500MB/s, that can't be done on pcie 2 x4...
I'm more than happy with SATA SSD speed actually. NVME to me is a bit overkill. However since my current storage needs are 2x SSD and 2x HDD, I decided to use nvme as dedicated OS drive. Didn't notice any significant improvement when using Photoshop on the C: drive from my old Intel setup, but probably because I'm a plebeian user.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
What drive do you use?
I myself haven't tried it too - from hdds to ssds was a giant leap, and only recently that faster nvme ssds come into the market. Theoretically the current fastest should be 3 times as fast as current sata ssd, with averages of 2 times as fast, but it's just throughput. You don't really notice throughput improvement unless you do a lot of moving large files around. It was different case with hdd to ssd case, since random seek times was orders of magnitude faster.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Corsair MP500, tested on crystaldiskmark read speed of 2500MB/S, that's stupid fast. However, idling at 66 degrees Celsius is worrying. I put a large aluminum heatsink on the controller and upward facing memory chipset. If only these motherboards came out a few months back, I wouldn't have to rebuild my PC again.

Reactions: Biowarejak