Motherboard Asus Strix 2080Ti OC and Accelero Extreme III ?

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Quick question:

Unfortunately my Strix 2080Ti OC is faulty, the fans have a mind of there own and do not respond to any of the default, manual or user defined fan curves and instead run at 100% all the time no matter what. They only stay silent if i use the dual bios feature of the GPU and select the silent bios but even then when the card has any sustained load the fans ramp up to 100% and stay there :(

I have been in contact with Asus support and followed their suggestions with no success, so they authorized an RMA through the retailer i got the GPU from. Unfortunately the process of this means I'll be left without a new GPU for 3 weeks or more, so as a last resort I'm contemplating removing the stock cooler and replacing with an Accelero Extreme III (same as i have on my 1080Ti with great success). Another option as a last resort would be (if the Accelero is not compatible), to just remove the fans and shroud and install 2 x Noctua fans controlled by a header on the motherboard.

Problem is I'm not sure if its compatible with the 2080Ti OC, anyone ?

Also what are your thoughts on the matter ? Even if it is compatible, should i just forget it and go ahead with the RMA ?

I have to decide by tomorrow morning, cause the GPU should be dropped off for the RMA tomorrow.

Decisions....

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
Just RMA the card. If you had an evga I would say put on the accellero but if you own a 2080ti strix no. The strix 2080 IMO was quietest fans 2.7 slot card. I loved it. Got a ghost and hate running 2000+mhz on 2 slot. Obviously people would say waterblock it but is it worth if I can get a 3080ti day 1 for cyberpunk 2077.
Decisions Decisions Decisions

If you buy a Strix card just run it stock no waterblock or anything if it fits in your itx case. Once I get my T1 I'm going to pickup an evga ftw3 (if they revert to 10 series design not ugly cheap shit shrouds and fans), strix(my fave past 2 gens) or msi. EVGA wins for overnight advanced RMA(I already paid for it and 10 year warranty) because I was always scared that I could be in your situation one day. Also, evga easier IMO to throw a waterblock on. I know in USA you can open a gpu if you want but in 2017 I say warranty void if you open and went nope can't do that and never reapplied thermal paste on my 1080 strix.

And don't let anyone tell you the evga fan noise click shit isn't an issue. Solved via custom fan curve where its always running. But Omg that auto and fan startup click noise is dreadful. Nothing is going to beat noctua fans on a custom heatsink unless you waterblock and then noctua fans on rad.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I also suggest RMA. However, if you, for some reasons at the end of the day, do choose to put on two Noctua fans, remember try using the two fan headers on the display card (controlling via Asus FanConnect II) first instead of using a fan header on the motherboard. This has the advantage of controlling the fan speed according to GPU (and CPU) temp.

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
I also suggest RMA. However, if you, for some reasons at the end of the day, do choose to put on two Noctua fans, remember try using the two fan headers on the display card (controlling via Asus FanConnect II) first instead of using a fan header on the motherboard. This has the advantage of controlling the fan speed according to GPU (and CPU) temp.
Can't do this on a founders edition 2080ti. So, always an option in the future.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Thanks for your input gents, I sent it off and now waiting for an update. They said it’ll take about 3 weeks.