Ncase M1 Build Ryzen 5 / C14S - EVGA 2080 ti Black Edition / Accelero iii

Exal

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 24, 2019
Hello to the SFF Ncase community !

I finally got all my parts and just wanted to confirm a few things regarding EVGA 2080 ti black edition for those wondering.

2080 ti black edition + Accelero iii + 2X120mm standard fan = it fits :thumb:

Installing the Accelero :
  1. First unscrew everything on the backplate side of the RTX. But do not remove the backplate.
  2. Remove the fan plug then the frontplate, you will have to put a bit of force due to thermal paste
  3. Clean thermal paste on Accelero and GPU just so you don't put thermal paste everywhere manipulating them. (Make sure you have a syringe of thermal paste, there is none in the Accelero)
    • On the Accelero there is a removable plate, unscrew it.
    • Then install it on the EVGA with the black spacers (that's the plate you see on the photo)
    • It will allow you to check if you've cut enough of the heatsink
  4. Cut the Heatsink around the GPU (VRM i think), i used that Meule, but you have to be used to it or you will saw everything but the heatsink :)
    • For 1 to 8 cut 2mm of the fins and be sure there is nothing left of the fins, sand the base a bit to be sure.
    • For 9 to 11 cut the fins on half the length
    • In the photo on the left side there was thermal paste, so i cut smaller heatsink tu put there. (don't have a photo unfortunately)
    • Sand everything cleanly and use your vacuum cleaner to get rid of the aluminum powder, i think it's important to prevent shortcut.
  5. Putting the small heatsink
    • Clean the things you need to put a Heatsink on
    • Apply the Accelero paste (read the Accelero manual too), as little as possible. And apply your Heatsinks.
    • Wait 1 or 2 hours, then check if everything is well glued
    • Remove the plate from the Accelero main heatsink
  6. The main heatsink
    • Screw back the removable plate on the main heatsink
    • Read the Accelero manual and use the black spacer, check them to be sure they all have the same length (just put them in line on a table and put your finger on top). I had one that was a bit too lengthy, i just had to sand it.
    • To be sure you have good contact with the GPU. Apply i minuscule amount of thermal paste a the center of the heatsink and mount the heatsink once. Remove it immediately to check if the paste has been "push down"? (sry lack of vocabulary for this one)
  7. Congrats, you are good to go :)
GPU Cooling
I plugged the two bottom exhaust on the MOBO and used Argus Monitor to tie the Fan to the GPU Temp, the software is dirt cheap and work like a charm (contrary to speedfan + AMD AM4)

CPU Cooling
I used C14S (just so good looking! ), just remember that you'll need to replace the 140mm fan with a 120mm for it to fit. And for the rear in(out)take, you will need a slim 92mm fan, a standard one won't fit.

Complete Build :
Mobo : AsRock Fatalty B450 Gaming-ITX_ac
CPU : Ryzen 5 2600X
CPU Cooling : Noctua C14S with BeQuiet Silent Wing 3 PWM 120mm
GPU : EVGA RTX 2080ti black edition
GPU Cooling : Accelero III with 2 BeQuiet Silent Wing 3 PWM 120mm
RAM : G.Skill RipJaws 4 Series 16 Go (2x 8 Go) DDR4 2666 MHz CL19
PSU : Corsair SF600 80PLUS Gold
Case Cooling : Noctua NF A9X14 as rear exhaust
Monitor : LG UltraGear 34GK950F-B UltraWide / 2K / 144Hz
LED : Bitfenix alchemy

Next step will be custom sleeving !! But first Sekiro :cool:

PS : Sry for the english level, not really my native language :D
EDIT : i edited the post and post name to correct C14 to C14S
EDIT 2 : Detailed the process for the Accelero and added the full config

Last edited:

Exal

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 24, 2019
Here are some photos.

I cut about 2mm on the upper and lower heatsink and half of the left ones.

Build Finished

I put the slim Noctua A9X14 as rear exhaust, but god is it noisy. As anyone tried to put a 120mm as rear in(out)take on the outside of the case? Or is there a more silent slim 92mm PWM (i have already modifed the RPM to attenuate the sound)

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Your A9X14 is acting as an intake in the pictures, I believe; although I think that is the better orientation. The noise is caused by turbulence between the fans and the fan grill; I spaced mine from the grill with a 3d printed duct and it's completely quiet now. I think you can do the same with a few rubber spacers. Btw, how did you mount your backplate onto your GPU with the front plate removed?

Exal

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 24, 2019
Humm, your'e making me suspicious, but i am pretty damn sure that my A9X14 is set as exhaust. I'll check this evening, and if it's better as intake, change it. On the noise part, i will try to put rubber but i am pretty sure it's just the fan sound.
I did not remove the EVGA backplate at all, just unscrew everything but let the backplate on, it will remain in position even without screws, i think it is glued with something. I used the Accelero screw directly where the original screws where. Just dont screw them too tight to avoid breaking anything. (will edit first post to be more specific)

I edited the first post to put the whole build, and added the complete step by step on how i mounted the Accelero.

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Intake yep! XD

Nice clean work with this cheap 'meule' from Jumbo btw!

New swiss guy on the forum?
Welcome anyway :)

Exal

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 24, 2019
@SirJack @dondan Yep you where right, intake :D

Concerning the noise, i put spacers but the noise is still quite hight. Think i'll buy a 92mm standard fan and put it on the outside. Don't know what you guys think of that?

@BaK i'am FR, but i've been livinig in switzerland for 8 years :)

Exal

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 24, 2019
Ok, i just put HDD rubber spacer :)

On another topic, how did you put your power supply like that? is there enough room behind for 2,5HDD?

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2018
Nice build, like it :thumb:. Strange that the 92mm fan makes that much noise. I have one as well, sat as intake and I can barely hear it. It's a "redux" fan tho. RPM controlled by GPU & Mobo temps, ignoring the CPU (aio cooled).

In my build the noise comes from the two bottom exhaust fans (GPU).

Exal

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 24, 2019
@Maniac That's interesting, what's the model of your rear fan (and it's not the fan that makes noise but the air passing through the grid)? Concerning the bottom Fan, what is your model, mine don't make a sound, well of corse i ear them a bit once the GPU temps reach 55+ °C, but still extremely quiet compared to stock GPU fan.

@SirJack ok, nice :) Will probably do a custom sleeving with my current config, but always nice to have other possibilities.

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2018
The rear fan is Noctua NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM
The two bottom gpu fans are Noctua - NF-A12x25 PWM

All fans mounted via the noctua rubber fittings.

Exal

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 24, 2019
Rear fan : well, yours a standard size, A9 is a slim :) and if you see what @SirJack has donne, it's basically transforming the A9 into an almost standard fan ^^ to reduce the noise.
Bottom : Odd that they make that much sound, i have BeQuiet Silent Wing 3 and they are very quiet during Deskwork / Youtube / Twitch. And when i'am playing i have the headset. But even without it's still quiet. Note that the case is not on my desk, but on a shelf beneath. What control them on your rig? or maybe it's their curve that you have to smooth?

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Odd that they make that much sound, i have BeQuiet Silent Wing 3 and they are very quiet
hmm I have a hunch, newer noctua fans like the A9X14 and A12X25 has stepped inlet designs which introduces turbulence to improve airflow. This turbulence might not play well with grills.

Newer noctua fans also has very little space between the blades and the frame but I don't know how that might increase turbulent noise.