ASUS-ROG-STRIX-Z690-real-1.jpg
Videocardz has received a few leaked pictures of the latest ITX board from Asus; the ROG Strix Z690-I Gaming WIFI. As the name implies, the board uses the upcoming Intel Z690 chipset in addition to sporting the new LGA1700 socket for 12th Gen Core processors. Beyond that it includes support for DDR5 memory and a unique series of stacked daughterboards for what appears to be audio and M.2 slots. Looking at the board, it has a very three-dimensional design with an M.2 slot area as tall as the integrated IO shield. While AIO coolers will likely fit with no issues, how smaller air coolers like the Noctua L12S fit remains to be seen.

Regardless, the board has a striking design that will likely appeal to many small form factor enthusiasts.

You can check out the Videocardz article by following this link.

Here are the pics that were leaked to Videocardz. The image credit is VideoCardz via Alexey.

ASUS-Z690-ROG-STRIX-Side-1.jpg

ASUS-ROG-STRIX-Z690-1.jpg

Reactions: Neathdrawls

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
So many PCBs :|

Looks like SSD daughterboard over audio daughterboard over motherboard.

Knowing ASUS has done similar in the past, has anyone had experience on audio quality on the daughterboard versus a more conventional setup?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

Knowing ASUS has done similar in the past, has anyone had experience on audio quality on the daughterboard versus a more conventional setup?

I can't say that I have. I had the Z170 Pro Gaming but it died on me. The audio was always quiet from it. After that I moved to an external DAC and never looked back.

Reactions: confusis

iatacs19

Efficiency Noob
Apr 18, 2020
I find it troublesome how big these I/O shrouds are growing for the mini-ITX form-factor. It is really counterproductive in ever regard.

Reactions: Phuncz

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I find it troublesome how big these I/O shrouds are growing for the mini-ITX form-factor. It is really counterproductive in ever regard.
Absolutely agree. I've had to pass up several motherboards that were incompatible with the Noctua L12S simply because of the IO shield.

Reactions: Phuncz

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com

You forgot the flat ribbon between top PCB and motherboard 😅

Still haven't used my Z490-I, waiting for the RTX A2000 to be in stock (don't want to swap GPU drivers on Linux). I'm planning to use my desk DAC/Headamp anyway 🤘

Even fitting the C7G on my Z490-I was a challenge (only fit in one way ... doesn't look like a perfect square). I honestly think that it's tailored toward AIOs.

Last edited:
Reactions: confusis