SFF.Network ASRock Z270M-STX MXM Micro-STX Motherboard Pictured

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The actual production costs aren't really any higher than desktop GPUs
They are a bit higher: mobile GPUs are binned tighter than their desktop counterparts (so you can shave down the voltage for the same clock speed, and reduce power draw and leakage), even when using the same die as a desktop part, so are sold for more than the desktop chip. Board costs may be higher or lower depending on whether the reduction in board area is worth the increased design complexity (and possibly needing more layers to route), though component costs will be lower through eliminating the output ports, and you don't need to design and ship a HSF.

Reactions: janas19

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Based off the many custom builds I saw and the fact that it was/is the only product of its kind, I was under the impression it had been a success.

But "many custom builds I saw" is still what, only in the dozens? It's an epic product so people with it are more likely to post pictures of their builds with it, so it generates a false impression that it's really popular.

I suspect it may gain traction though since Kaby Lake is so disappointing and there will be ignorant Intel fanboys who just won't consider Ryzen but want more power.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Something that might be possible is ASRock cooperating with a community case designer for a barebones project. ASRock supplies the outlines (internal dimensions, materials, cost/complexity, features) and the community case designer designs a case, prototypes it, gets it ready for manufacturing, that ASRock fabricates using their partners and sells as a barebones product.

Reactions: Tek Everything

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Something that might be possible is ASRock cooperating with a community case designer for a barebones project. ASRock supplies the outlines (internal dimensions, materials, cost/complexity, features) and the community case designer designs a case, prototypes it, gets it ready for manufacturing, that ASRock fabricates using their partners and sells as a barebones product.

If there is ever a time where I see an ASRock barebones system that says "Partnered with *insert indie case maker here*" I will probably buy it. Just because the indie guys really know what we want, while most corps glaze over the little things.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well, if the info in the AM4 thread is true, there may not be any enthusiast ITX boards to pick from even if you did want it :(

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Well, if the info in the AM4 thread is true, there may not be any enthusiast ITX boards to pick from even if you did want it :(

Yeah, that'd be unfortunate... That being said, I'm still kinda expecting that Ryzen's not gonna be nearly as good as people are hoping - I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd certainly like it to be. Competition is good and I certainly wouldn't mind switching back to AMD (Haven't been there since, oh, Athlon XP days, I think). Would light a fire under Intel's ass, too. But recent AMD history from where I'm standing has been a cycle of hype, disappoint, oh-but-the-next-one-will-be-really-good-guys, repeat ad nauseam.

Reactions: Ceros_X

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I suspect it may gain traction though since Kaby Lake is so disappointing and there will be ignorant Intel fanboys who just won't consider Ryzen but want more power.

Show me the mITX boards for Ryzen and we can talk about it. I can wait for Kaby because the A4 won't be delivered until maybe sometime this month. If Ryzen will hit the market in a similar timeframe and the benches show good value I'll consider it.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The other thing to consider is that we have another die shrink to Volta in 2018/2019 to look forward to. With the push on VR and the fact that the full base nVidia lineup is now available on MXM, I think this is the ultimate platform not just for small form factor, but VR as well. The 1060 provides 980 power at 120W. With another die shrink I don't think it's unreasonable to think we will see 1080+ performance at the same or lower TDP. There will also be a fair bit of optimization of architecture between now and Volta which will probably only drive performance per watt up more.

When I look at the MSI and Zotac VR backpacks, I cringe. As a physiotherapist and former national team athlete, the impediment a giant box like that strapped to your back to the experience of free movement is significant. Taking something from ITX + 220mm GPU to a 2.5L solution with integrated power delivery is going to make a tremendous difference in terms. If AsRock can market and design around this the right way, I think it could be a form factor we see around for a long time.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
As per the ASRock post, the system will be available with the GTX 1070 or RX480/470/460 MXM modules. It will be limited to these due to the supplied PSU but should support larger MXM modules is you can provide your own power solution.

Just factchecking, but I thought the 1060 and not the 1070 was the upper limit on this unit due to socket power limits. If it's the 1070 that'd be a lot nicer than 1060.

Reactions: EdZ

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Just factchecking, but I thought the 1060 and not the 1070 was the upper limit on this unit due to socket power limits. If it's the 1070 that'd be a lot nicer than 1060.

I believe 1070/1080 would work but they require more than MXM socket power and have a separate power connector, though I could be mistaken.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
According to Nvidia's site, 120W would allow for a Quadro M5000M: http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-for-mobile-workstations.html

The M5500M is just a tad above the limit with its 150W power draw.

Make a Xeon compatible version of that motherboard and you'd gave a darn great CAD SFF machine.

The HP Z1 AIO workstation already uses an MXM quadro, with a custom heatsink though.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Anyone know what the connector on the 1070/1080 units is by chance? Looks like a 4 pin white connector like on the Z4-ATX-200, but I'm bad at identifying stuff like this.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Make a Xeon compatible version of that motherboard and you'd gave a darn great CAD SFF machine.

Considering the ITX LGA2011-3 was apparently pretty tough... That being said, they'd have one customer at least, just as soon as 32GB ECC DDR4 Sodimms are available. :D

The HP Z1 AIO workstation already uses an MXM quadro, with a custom heatsink though.

Yeah, and it looks like as a result MXM quadros are pretty available and waaaaay cheaper than the consumer cards.