Motherboard ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac and AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Anyone uses Asrock's F-stream tuning to control the fans on this AB350? I'm on stable Windows 10 release 1803. Every time the PC went to sleep, the F-Stream function stops, I have to manually open the app and re-apply the fan curve, or else it won't register. Same goes if my PC starts and I forgot to use it and went to sleep, the F-stream tuning doesn't work automatically.

It has been a year now that I have been using AMD system after exclusively using only Intel. Frankly the experience kind of underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I still like AMD and how it tried its best to deliver real competition so Intel doesn't just lay back. However, I kind of miss my Intel days where I just only need to update my GPU driver. My list of tinkering with AMD platform is plenty. Enrolling to Windows insider program because of performance issue in Shadow of War. Then I have to rollback because of insider update stops For Honor from loading. Then I change from 1700X to 2700X and encounters spiking power/thermal issue.

Again, all issues are addressable, it's just that I wanted to turn on my PC without having to turn on various monitoring apps to check if my system is running well.

I will give AMD one last chance by upgrading my motherboard to B450, heck I will settle for X470, whichever brand/model available in ITX in my country. If I have to tinker again, probably I will settle for Intel comes Icelake.

nick_w

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2017
Anyone uses Asrock's F-stream tuning to control the fans on this AB350? I'm on stable Windows 10 release 1803. Every time the PC went to sleep, the F-Stream function stops, I have to manually open the app and re-apply the fan curve, or else it won't register. Same goes if my PC starts and I forgot to use it and went to sleep, the F-stream tuning doesn't work automatically.

my pc doesn't sleep but f-stream starts when windows starts up, could it be a windows thing? because recently after a windows update half my software that usually loads at startup no longer loaded until i reinstalled it, though f-streams been working the whole time.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
my pc doesn't sleep but f-stream starts when windows starts up, could it be a windows thing? because recently after a windows update half my software that usually loads at startup no longer loaded until i reinstalled it, though f-streams been working the whole time.
Perhaps it's a Windows thing that prevents the F-Stream app to not work. However there is another issue after waking up from sleep. Somehow my Ryzen 2700X temp shoots to 60 degrees C, while still in power saver mode. Prior to going to sleep mode, the temp is stable at 37 degres C. So every time the computer went to sleep and woke up, I have to basically restart the computer to get proper power and temp from the system. It's this finickiness that made me reconsider staying with AMD.

Just for info, I checked AMD website on weekly basis for chipset driver updates, and Asrock website for BIOS update just in case there's some update to rectify this weird behavior.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
As a rule avoid all tweaking utilities that I can live without. Windows 10 just seems to hose a lot of third party apps with every update. MSI afterburner is about all I use nowadays.

Running the fan tuning in bios on my b350 fatality itx to detect the fans’ parameters then setting a custom curve in bios has been fine.

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
Bios P4.70 is up for download. User beware.

I'm using a 2400G right now, P4.70 would NOT load my XMP profile for my g.skill (F4-3200C14D-16GVR B-Die) for anything. Bumped SOC & also set it @ 3000MHz. No Dice.

I reloaded 4.6 and applied my overclock/XMP from my notes and it booted right up, first time.

I got a steal on a NIB 2600X Wed on ebay, i'll be re-testing when that gets here. Right now I am staying on 4.6 though.

greyhamism

Caliper Novice
Sep 16, 2017

I'm using a 2400G right now, P4.70 would NOT load my XMP profile for my g.skill (F4-3200C14D-16GVR B-Die) for anything. Bumped SOC & also set it @ 3000MHz. No Dice.

I reloaded 4.6 and applied my overclock/XMP from my notes and it booted right up, first time.

I got a steal on a NIB 2600X Wed on ebay, i'll be re-testing when that gets here. Right now I am staying on 4.6 though.

Doing a system transplant and slight rebuild soon and was going to ask about bios updates, hoping things had gotten better from the last time i tried upgrading :/
It would appear not.
I'm still on V3.10, as versions past that ( there where only one or two last time i looked into it) broke speed-stepping ( or whatever the AMD version is called) so my CPU was pegged at 3200mhz all the time :/

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Thanks for sharing. Definitely holding off on moving to the latest bios after hearing this.

Still on 4.6 here in the AB350 and the XMP profile actually works without issue for 16gb Team Dark Pro 3200 b-dies with an R5 1400. Previously it was 2933 max at the rated C14 on both an R5 1600 and 2600 to remain totally stable.

IMC lottery?!

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

Let me know if you're trying to offload that 2400g. My HTPC needs an upgrade!

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
will do, so far i'm going to be keeping it around.

2600X loaded and running on 4.6, XMP loaded right away, no issue. 3200C14.

has anyone pushed the IMC in these things? I see newegg has a 3600C15 kit that would be fun to play with.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
There is a thread on [H] titled “loving this 2600x” which has some nice screen shots and memory over clocks. Seems that 3600 with tight timings is possible if you tune the heck out of it.

This is on higher end X470 though.

Reactions: ChinStrap

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
Roll-call if you guys have a min.

What Bios and RAM speed are you guys running. Please include kit information too if you can.

Bios P4.60
g.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GVR
3200CL14 (XMP)

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
The ASRock b450 ITX arrived yesterday. Just loaded it up with some RAM, 2400g, and m.2 SSD last night. Finishing up some memtest86 runs right now and I'll be dropping it in my HTPC later today. XMP loaded up fine on my Corsair Vengance LPX 3000 C15 2x4GB.

vinhom

Cable Smoosher
Dec 29, 2017
I have been using this board (BIOS v4.90) with a Ryzen 5 2400GE for the last couple of days and it seems that the motherboard does not respect any sort of power limit. I have seem it use up to a 100W of CPU+SoC Power on HwInfo64 while using the 35W POR option (the behaviour is the same for all Power Limit options inside the BIOS). It doesn't seem to respect the voltage offsets aswell and applys 1.3V when turboing.

Do anyone has any idea about what could be happening? I had to disable Turbo but I really need this board to respect the 35W power limit the 2400GE was designed for.

DwarfLord

Trash Compacter
Oct 13, 2018
I have been using this board (BIOS v4.90) with a Ryzen 5 2400GE for the last couple of days and it seems that the motherboard does not respect any sort of power limit. I have seem it use up to a 100W of CPU+SoC Power on HwInfo64 while using the 35W POR option (the behaviour is the same for all Power Limit options inside the BIOS). It doesn't seem to respect the voltage offsets aswell and applys 1.3V when turboing.

Do anyone has any idea about what could be happening? I had to disable Turbo but I really need this board to respect the 35W power limit the 2400GE was designed for.

You HAVE to disable turbo if you want to respect the TDP value. The TDP value is always given for base clock.
I have a similar configuration, 2400G + asrock b450 itx, and the following occurs (with no clock change) under a Prime95 (blend) run :
- stock voltages / turbo ON : cpu 1.34v, soc 1.09v, 3.7Ghz, 109W
- cpu -0.1v / soc -0.035v / turbo ON : cpu 1.33v, soc 1.09v, 3.9Ghz, 108W
- cpu -0.1v / soc -0.035v / turbo OFF : cpu 1.18v, soc 1.05v, 3.6Ghz, 88W
(The wattages above are given for the whole configuration of course)

So, if the turbo stays ON, the cpu/soc clearly use the voltage/wattage margin you give them (by reducing the voltage) to boost even higher, thus cancelling any benefit you could get on consumption/temp.

Reactions: Phuncz and vinhom

vinhom

Cable Smoosher
Dec 29, 2017
You HAVE to disable turbo if you want to respect the TDP value. The TDP value is always given for base clock.
I have a similar configuration, 2400G + asrock b450 itx, and the following occurs (with no clock change) under a Prime95 (blend) run :
- stock voltages / turbo ON : cpu 1.34v, soc 1.09v, 3.7Ghz, 109W
- cpu -0.1v / soc -0.035v / turbo ON : cpu 1.33v, soc 1.09v, 3.9Ghz, 108W
- cpu -0.1v / soc -0.035v / turbo OFF : cpu 1.18v, soc 1.05v, 3.6Ghz, 88W
(The wattages above are given for the whole configuration of course)

So, if the turbo stays ON, the cpu/soc clearly use the voltage/wattage margin you give them (by reducing the voltage) to boost even higher, thus cancelling any benefit you could get on consumption/temp.

I'm thankful for your quick response! I hope you could help me out some more on this:

I expected the system to respect the TDP limit and only boost the cores within the power budget. I have test P95 v29.4 with the blend option, no voltage offsets, 35W POR set on BIOS, Turbo disabled and got these results. It kept running at 3.2 GHz, average 60W CPU+SoC Power indefinitely.

45W continuous CPU+SoC Power on Dota 2 1600x900 windowed, low settings, 100% render.

50W continuous CPU+SoC Power on Cinebench R15 MT over 4 runs.

All these results were obtained with turbo disabled.
With turbo enabled when I tried P95 yesterday it hit 100W+.

Last edited: