News ASRock Unveils the X299E-ITX/ac: Mini ITX + X299 + Quad-channel Memory

Mod edit:

Detailed overview of what we know about the X299E-ITX/ac thus far here: https://smallformfactor.net/news/asrock-x299e-itxac-little-monster-detailed

Original:

ASRock did it! Finally, there's an Intel HEDT platform motherboard with full quad-channel DDR4 memory. The new X299E-ITX/ac is for those who need up to 18 CPU cores and up to 64 GB of quad-channel DDR4 memory in their SFF machines for reasons. The board manages its limited PCB real-estate by going vertical. It features two riser cards, one with a few onboard controllers, and a pair of 32 Gb/s M.2 slots), and the other riser with SATA 6 Gb/s ports, a third M.2 slot, and the headers such as USB 3.1. The board draws power from 24-pin ATX and 8-pin EPS connectors, conditioning it for the LGA2066 CPU using a 7-phase VRM. The lone expansion slot is a PCI-Express 3.0 x16, memory is handled by four DDR4 SO-DIMM slots. Connectivity includes two Intel I219-V driven gigabit Ethernet interfaces, 802.11ac WLAN, and Bluetooth 4.1.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It gets better, the way the slides were setup the presenter went through the product segment for each board one by one:

Then "The Little Monster" shows up for the X299E-ITX/ac and I can't help but smile :p

tbronzwaer

Cable Smoosher
May 25, 2017
thomasbronzwaer.wordpress.com
I'd say it's likely since you can't use this board like you could with the X99 as a mini workstation if you require Xeon and/or ECC support. And you can see how the layout of the X299 is like a hybrid of the X99 and the C612: http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EPC612D4I

But I have not spoken to ASRock about it so I don't know for sure.

Awesome, thanks. If you get a chance to ask them about this, I'd be very happy to hear their response!

Reactions: jeshikat

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
You're welcome!

The header at the bottom-left of the board is label BIOS_PH so I assume it's for programming the board. So it may not even be there on production models.

The one between the chassis headers and the 24-pin is a mystery. I have no idea what it's for and we don't have a picture at the right angle to see if it's labeled.

Thanks again! Sorry to pile on/repeat myself, but I have a few other random questions/thoughts which I realize we don't have answers to yet, but I'm just going to dump them here for whomever wants to comment or offer their theories:

Did you happen to find out if the headphone amp will still be included? I use mine on the X99E-ITX/ac and it's saved me from having to purchase a DAC. It's decent quality.

Also, can we find out exactly what functionality will be lost if we remove the rear riser board? Is the USB 3.1 controller on it? The rear audio? We should be able to keep all the rear USB 3.0 ports and at least one of the Ethernet ports b/c those are controlled by the chipset, correct? Honestly, if ASRock had just included a rear I/O power button, I could have just removed both boards. I hope they read this and consider it, it should be super easy to do. Rear power buttons are awesome. And if it is a true M.2 vertical slot for the SATA riser-board as the article states, then I can already see people experimenting with connecting M.2 drives to it. I wonder if it would work.

This is a noob comment, but I'm also not quite clear on how they are able to repurpose a SODIMM slot for a PCIe link. Is it just a SODIMM form factor, but otherwise PCIe?

I'm also randomly wondering if under the steel WiFi casing, there is a card connected to another M.2 slot (or mini PCIe) and what brand it is.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'll have to ask on the headphone amp, forgot to do so.

The daughterboards use a SODIMM and M.2 connector, but it's just the physical connector piece of plastic and electrical contacts that is the same.

They're not wired up for RAM or a SSD.

Yes it's a card under the wifi casing. I actually haven't seen a board that doesn't do that lately since wifi cards are cheap so no sense getting some custom job and soldering it.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Yes it's a card under the wifi casing. I actually haven't seen a board that doesn't do that lately since wifi cards are cheap so no sense getting some custom job and soldering it.
That is the purpose of mPCIe and M.2, yes (MXM as well, though its utility has been shown to be dubious)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm also randomly wondering if under the steel WiFi casing, there is a card connected to another M.2 slot (or mini PCIe) and what brand it is.

It's an Intel card.

The wireless module looks the same as the ASRock Z270 boards and their spec sheets for them all list a M.2 Key E slot.

MerkuR

Efficiency Noob
May 31, 2017
Any insight of when this little marvel will come out?

Can't wait for start my NCASE M1 build with this thing...

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
They were saying like end of July, but it's not finalized yet.

And I don't know how seriously they'll take my suggestions, but I've asked for some changes to make it more compatible with heatsinks that could delay it: reduce height of the M.2 daughterboard and move the front panel header to the motherboard so the SATA board can be removed if not needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kmpkt and Boil

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'll be giddy if you can run the board without either daughterboard with two M.2 on the back and the space for a really nice heatsink.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Doesn't that RAM have a funny pinout that doesn't jive with standard SODIMM slots or am I mistaken?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The description at the top says 288-pin but the specs say the expected 260-pin. But this is the new version of the website so I assume it's an error on the 288-pin.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'll have to ask Innodisk if that page is accurate, but the specs say SODIMM (not Mini DIMM) and a height of 0.7in (18mm).

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
16GB sticks max though; so you would get the quad-channel benefit, but not the 128GB total RAM capacity...

I guess the need for 128GB of RAM would highly depend on the usage of the machine...

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The VLP only goes to 8GB according to that page. Which is fine for me, I don't need more than 32GB.

Unless you mean in general for DDR4 SODIMM as of now, then yeah, 64GB is the max.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There is still potentially time to change the front panel header situation but it's unlikely since there is just such limited space available for anything left on the motherboard. But they're checking into it.

Did you happen to find out if the headphone amp will still be included?

Headphone amp is still included.

I'm also randomly wondering if under the steel WiFi casing, there is a card connected to another M.2 slot (or mini PCIe)

Like I suspected it is a M.2 Key E slot under that casing.

Last edited: