News ASRock Unveils the X299E-ITX/ac: Mini ITX + X299 + Quad-channel Memory

Mod edit:

Detailed overview of what we know about the X299E-ITX/ac thus far here: https://smallformfactor.net/news/asrock-x299e-itxac-little-monster-detailed

Original:

ASRock did it! Finally, there's an Intel HEDT platform motherboard with full quad-channel DDR4 memory. The new X299E-ITX/ac is for those who need up to 18 CPU cores and up to 64 GB of quad-channel DDR4 memory in their SFF machines for reasons. The board manages its limited PCB real-estate by going vertical. It features two riser cards, one with a few onboard controllers, and a pair of 32 Gb/s M.2 slots), and the other riser with SATA 6 Gb/s ports, a third M.2 slot, and the headers such as USB 3.1. The board draws power from 24-pin ATX and 8-pin EPS connectors, conditioning it for the LGA2066 CPU using a 7-phase VRM. The lone expansion slot is a PCI-Express 3.0 x16, memory is handled by four DDR4 SO-DIMM slots. Connectivity includes two Intel I219-V driven gigabit Ethernet interfaces, 802.11ac WLAN, and Bluetooth 4.1.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

Arie

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2018
A bit of a necro kick, but this might be relevant for others.

I run a 7980XE on this board and I noticed odd behavior regarding the CPU power limits:
Issue 1. With CPU on stock speeds and with "Cooling solution" set to "Air", power limits are always 165W (long) and 198W (short). It doesn't matter what you set in the "Long Duration Power Limit" and "Short Duration Power Limit" fields.
Issue 2. With CPU on stock speeds and "Cooling solution" set to "Water" power limits are always "Unlimited".
Issue 3. With CPU overclocked, regardless of "Cooling solution", power limits are always "Unlimited".

Because I run a simple 240mm AIO and not a custom loop, I wanted to limit the CPU power to something the AIO could handle (<330W), but the limits set weren't respected and a run of prime 95 small FFT would cause power to spike to 400W and CPU temps getting way too high.

So I emailed Asrock about it and after a couple of days they sent me a fixed BIOS :) Its version number is 1.70B, opposed to the latest official 1.70. If you want to give it a try, you can download it here.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Kind of related, but ive found this on asrock racks site:
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C422 WSI/IPMI#Specifications
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X299 WSI/IPMI#Specifications

One for xeons and one for skylake.What puzzles me is why does the skylake one supports ecc when the cpu doesn't?

I think it might be an error on their part. I'm trying to work out if the C422 board supports 64GB of ECC RAM. The website says it supports 16GB ECC SODIMM's, but if you look at the manual PDF (Page 8) it only says it supports up to 8GB ECC SODIMM's. Furthermore, there is no 16GB ECC sticks on the Memory QVL list as well.

Being only able to go up to 32GB of ECC RAM defeats the purpose of the board. That said, I wonder if the board would still work if you stuck in an 16GB ECC SODIMM (Something like this Crucial stick).

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
Hi guys, i'm in trouble with mobo: i can't clear cmos!
The switch (A/B) doesn't work, always funcion as start button (B)!
I was changing cooler from Dynatron to AIO, and now no screen from GPU
and mouse and keyboard doesn't work...
Suggestion?
Thanks!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi guys, i'm in trouble with mobo: i can't clear cmos!
The switch (A/B) doesn't work, always funcion as start button (B)!
I was changing cooler from Dynatron to AIO, and now no screen from GPU
and mouse and keyboard doesn't work...
Suggestion?
Thanks!

Can you unplug the cmos battery, it should have a small connector, just follow the wire from battery down to mbo.

Reactions: D10S

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
Can you unplug the cmos battery, it should have a small connector, just follow the wire from battery down to mbo.
Already done, all night long, but nothing...
3 long beeeep
It's really strange, every component fully working since feburary 2018!
?

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Yikes.. 3 long beeps is usually memory fault is it not? Have you tried posting with just one memory stick at a time? Try each slot with just one stick and go through the sequence with each stick one at a time.

I was changing cooler from Dynatron to AIO,

Its possible to warp the board around the socket and damage the traces if you over tighten the bracket of the AIO or tighten the screws unevenly. Such as top right corner all the way and then next and next as opposed to 1-3 turns each screw in crisscross fashion. Ive seen x58 boards drop memory channels when this occurs first hand.

Didn't hear any clicking or worse a crunch did you ? Have you pulled everything apart and removed the CPU to see if pins are bent possibly?

Just off the top of my head since you mentioned the issue started with a cooler swap. Really may be looking at a borked board though :(

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
Its possible to warp the board around the socket and damage the traces if you over tighten the bracket of the AIO or tighten the screws unevenly. Such as top right corner all the way and then next and next as opposed to 1-3 turns each screw in crisscross fashion. Ive seen x58 boards drop memory channels when this occurs first hand.
Didn't hear any clicking or worse a crunch did you ? Have you pulled everything apart and removed the CPU to see if pins are bent possibly?
Just off the top of my head since you mentioned the issue started with a cooler swap. Really may be looking at a borked board though :(
You hit the problem, that's what happened!
The pins are ok, but the grid around the socket is slightly raised at two angles (0.1mm probably), imperceptible but I see it
I hope in a RMA! ?????

Reactions: Biowarejak

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
You hit the problem, that's what happened!
The pins are ok, but the grid around the socket is slightly raised at two angles (0.1mm probably), imperceptible but I see it
I hope in a RMA! ?????
:( are you able to loosen the AIO a little bit to see if the warp lessens. Not necessarily that it gets “better”, but maybe tie you over until you find a solution? I’ve overtightened a cooler on my motherboard, and loosening seem to get the pc to boot up.

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
:( are you able to loosen the AIO a little bit to see if the warp lessens. Not necessarily that it gets “better”, but maybe tie you over until you find a solution? I’ve overtightened a cooler on my motherboard, and loosening seem to get the pc to boot up.
I've tried with several air cooler, just leaning over, not screwed, nothing change, won't boot ?

SystmSix

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 5, 2019
Out of curiosity what AIO did you use? I have that board and cant seem to get the Corsair H100i pro to fit.....

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
The X299E-ITX/ac appears to be EOL. Does anyone know if ASRock is planning to release an updated version for Cascade Lake X? They announced a few updated boards, but no ITX model... I hope they haven't given up on ITX HEDT.