Motherboard ASrock Thin mini-itx with PCIe x16 connection?!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
ECC is very desirable if you're running long computations ;-).

Sadly, the 6c/12t Xeon Entry (formerly known as E3-1200 v7) aren't out yet.

ECC makes sense if you're using your workstation for a living ;)

So, there WILL be a compatible 6C/12T Xeon that will work in that board?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
So, there WILL be a compatible 6C/12T Xeon that will work in that board?

Nope, that board is for v5 Xeon (LGA1151). You'd need need a new board (LGA1151-v2), thank you Intel.

It's just just like 6th-7th gen core versus 8th-9th gen core motherboard. With AMD all you need is a bios update for new gen CPU that keep the same socket, with Intel you need a new motherboard XD.

Ideally I'd love a Xeon based version of the IMB-1213 and a 35-25w 6c-12t Xeon but it's inexistant XD.

What GPU are you planning to use for your WS ? The WX4100 looks great and is probably the fastest low profile, single slot, ITX sized GPU (until Navi Radeon Pro refresh)

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Nope, that board is for v5 Xeon (LGA1151). You'd need need a new board (LGA1151-v2), thank you Intel.

It's just just like 6th-7th gen core versus 8th-9th gen core motherboard. With AMD all you need is a bios update for new gen CPU that keep the same socket, with Intel you need a new motherboard XD.

Ideally I'd love a Xeon based version of the IMB-1213 and a 35-25w 6c-12t Xeon but it's inexistant XD.

What GPU are you planning to use for your WS ? The WX4100 looks great and is probably the fastest low profile, single slot, ITX sized GPU (until Navi Radeon Pro refresh)

I was going to use the Quadro P1000, but if the WX4100 is faster, I'm using it!

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
The fastest single slot low profile video cards available (to some definition of available) are built on the 1050 Ti. There are two. One is the ASL G1504 https://www.gearbest.com/graphics-video-cards/pp_1261865.html this one has really shitty port selection and it's 190mm long. The other one is the Aetina M4-P107mDP https://www.aetina.com/cn/dl.php?i=298 which, on the other hand, is 170mm long and has the best port selection possible: four mini DisplayPorts, whee! However, you need to talk to Aetina directly to get one. It was 330 USD in 2017 when I asked.

Of course, if you are running Solidworks, by all means get the P1000.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jello

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
The fastest single slot low profile video cards available (to some definition of available) are built on the 1050 Ti. There are two. One is the ASL G1504 https://www.gearbest.com/graphics-video-cards/pp_1261865.html this one has really shitty port selection and it's 190mm long. The other one is the Aetina M4-P107mDP https://www.aetina.com/cn/dl.php?i=298 which, on the other hand, is 170mm long and has the best port selection possible: four mini DisplayPorts, whee! However, you need to talk to Aetina directly to get one. It was 330 USD in 2017 when I asked.

Of course, if you are running Solidworks, by all means get the P1000.

Thanks for finding that Aetina card. I'll get it too for when I want to game.

@GuilleAcoustic Is it possible to have two graphics drivers installed, and just swap cards?

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Obviously you guys already identified that the IMB-X190 isn't the best option for a thin mini-ITX Gaming/WK PC, but I think it would be perfect for a low profile PFSense box or an SFF Home Server/NAS when paired with the 25W TDP E3-1235L v5.
At 4C/4T, 2.0GHz Base/3.0GHz Turbo, it's not the fastest thing around, but it's socketed, supports 64GB of ECC RAM, has onboard Video, AES NI, Quick Sync, and all at 25W TDP.
Perfect alternative to a costly Denverton or other Atom embedded low-power server motherboard.

a NAS style case with a slim profile motherboard tray, a riser oriented single PCIe slot , and a rack of HDD bays, and this could be an awesome NAS/Home/storage server.

Reactions: Windfall

RockenRod

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
Hi All:

I recently took delivery of an expensive IMB-1215 for $310 USD (about $500AUD) delivered (via a second party via UK to Australia) https://www.asrockind.com/overview.asp?Model=IMB-1215
(Note: they delisted this once after I bought it then have added it again a little cheaper this time - IDKW?)

When I got it I plopped an i9-9900K (8 core) in it (on CPU support list with an asterisk) as the i9-9900T is more expensive (go a good deal $700AUD on the K) and impossible to find (in Australia).
Unfortunately, the BIOS does not allow you to either undervolt or underclock it, so it runs a bit noisy.
The only related BIOS adjustment you get is the CPU fan policy. I set mine to run a higher 70C temp and 2nd slowest speed.
When I find time I may play with the regulator (on MB) or research a BIOS mod if possible!
Also a few hitches where:
1. The bottom (underside) of the board is a little too crowded with SMT components and this severely crowds the clearance for the support plate for screw-down heatsinks (I hate the push-pin ones = unreliable = break easily). That took a fair bit of modding (about 2 hours) to allow clearance (a Dremel would make it a lot easier). Very annoying as mine was on loan!

2. The DC in is NOT 12V capable (many are) and must be 19-28V(typical laptop brick)
I had to get another one!
3. Also, I put it in a Silverstone PT13B case but had to remove the USB plug subassembly as the SATA ports interfere with them. Case not really suitable unless you are OK with the unused USB holes.
Note: this case now comes in a USB3 variant (PT13B-USB3.0 - the old one had only USB2) but this board does not have a USB 3 header (only 4 ports at rear) but does have one 2 x dual USB 2.0 headers. https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=419&area=en
4. The M.2 2260 type M port is a little strange but with a suitable adapter, there is enough room in the case to have another 2280 (2TB max) or even a 22110 M.2 mounted above the other one. If you feel the need/have the money to blow you could even fit one of these 4TB ones!
5. This motherboard breaks a number of Intel Thin Mini-ITX design rules like the CPU and power locations etc.
6. While it is positive that the x16 PCIe slot can be split through the BIOS settings for bifurcation into 1). x8 + x8 and 2). x8 + x4 + x4, it unfortunately CANNOT be put into a 3). x4 + x4 + x4 + x4 mode. So no or limited use (max 3 x M.2 cards only + 2 M.2 on the motherboard) of the 4 x M.2 bifurcated (non-PCIe switched) splitter cards (I have the ASUS Hyper one).

I haven't done a lot with it yet as I am so busy.
I am willing to take requests for info etc?
Also if anyone is super keen to do some tests on my/our behalf I can provide AnyDesk remote access for a volunteer to play for a day or so.
As it has been configured with iKVM (Intel AMT/vPRO) I can also let someone review the BIOS if they want. On the promise they will doucment it somewhere (here?) for all to see/share.

Also note I keep a blog page on Thin Mini-ITX products here: https://roddines.blogspot.com/2015/12/thin-mini-itx-motherboard-overview.html

Cheers. Rod

Last edited:

BobyMadrox

Chassis Packer
Oct 23, 2016
@RockenRod

I ordered this board (IMB 1215) to make use with an I7 8700 with a PT13B setup, very close to yours. Getting rid of the USB header to fit the board doesn't bother me, but I was hoping some undervolt of the CPU was possible (at least through software like XTU/Throttlestop), this is kind of a big deal.
Did you have any luck modding the bios or finding an alternative way to undervolt the CPU? You are the only guy around owning that board, hope you are still around.

Last edited by a moderator: