News ASRock show-off Micro-STX system with MXM & TB3 @CES 2017

Hi All

ASRock are happy to display our new model - Deskmini RX/GTX @CES 2017.
You can get more picture in :https://www.cool3c.com/article/116315/CES-2017-華擎展出具可擴充-MXM-獨立顯示卡的-micro-STX-主機板原型主機

This is prototype of Deskmini RX/GTX
Considering there are so many SFF enthusiasts still need more powerful 3D graphics performance, why don't we extend Mini-STX to larger board: based on 5x5 screw holes but implement MXM, more video outputs, m.2 connectors, even Thunderbolt 3!

And that is world's firsts' MICRO-STX system:
  • Support up to Intel® Core i7 7700K CPU
  • Support Intel box cooler
  • Intel Z270 (B250) Chipset
  • Support MXM Type B, up to 120W
    • RX = AMD RX480/470/460
    • GTX = NVIDIA GTX1060
  • Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C
  • 3 x M.2 2260/2280 slots
  • 1 x M.2 2230 Wi-Fi slot
  • AURA RGB LED connector!
  • Support Intel® Optane™ Technology
  • 2.x Liter!
  • 19V/220W adapter
ASRock planned sell barebones (include motherboard, MXM card, MXM cooler, chassis and adapter) and open mind corporate with system builder to develop new mini PC in micro STX motherboard. It should be launched on 2017 Q2.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Are you skipping 2.5" drive support?

Haven't decided at this point, but I would lean towards supporting a single 2.5" only if it doesn't add to the volume in any significant way (ie. the space is there anyways, might as well use it). The board has three M.2 slots and I am working on the presumption that anyone buying a Micro STX is not a price sensitive consumer as it isn't the best value proposition on the market at present.

I plan to have the case be 3D printed in Markforged's Onyx material to start and eventually in 6061 Aluminum if the unit gains market traction and the finances make sense. Also because the case will likely be printed to order, I may offer a variety of variants since once we have the base case done, altering parts and producing them is super easy.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Haven't decided at this point, but I would lean towards supporting a single 2.5" only if it doesn't add to the volume in any significant way (ie. the space is there anyways, might as well use it). The board has three M.2 slots and I am working on the presumption that anyone buying a Micro STX is not a price sensitive consumer as it isn't the best value proposition on the market at present.

I plan to have the case be 3D printed in Markforged's Onyx material to start and eventually in 6061 Aluminum if the unit gains market traction and the finances make sense. Also because the case will likely be printed to order, I may offer a variety of variants since once we have the base case done, altering parts and producing them is super easy.

I totally agree with your rationale on 2.5" drive support. Sounds like a good plan, 3D printing gives a lot of flexibility, and this platform is an excellent candidate for it because there aren't any heavy/hard mounts, only a single board. Well if it's under 2L I think you'll have a winner, I may get one.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Honestly you can use TB3 for an external 2.5" if you really need the storage. The point of this case will be absolutely minimal size and weight as it will ultimately be the lynch pin of my meta project.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Sweet bundle. Any chance you'll bring back the DeskMini + SoDIMM combo.

Also smaller air cooled case inc (KMPKT x NFC ;) )
I'm pumped for this too I told josh Earlier I'll gladly give you all my feedback once that gets moving a bit further I plan on buying one of these package CPU deals in a few weeks if the sales still going on when I've got the money for it .if not I'm sure they'll pop back up again shortly after that if the z370 versions haven't magically appeared and dropped by then lol I get a nice fat profit sharing check on the 23rd and that's when I'll be ordering mine .sadly just gonna get the 1060 version mainly because I can't justify the price with them not including a cpu with those when they are with the 1060 varient .sadly that's the way I feel about it but if I went the 1080 route I'd be spending well into the 2200 dollar range and the scares on thermals aren't exactly pleasing to hear. Granted I've only heard a few people complain about it but idk.

ASRock System

Trash Compacter
Original poster
ASRock
Aug 29, 2016
www.asrock.com
Sweet bundle. Any chance you'll bring back the DeskMini + SoDIMM combo.

Also smaller air cooled case inc (KMPKT x NFC ;) )

We did internal discussion of hard bundle with SO-DIMM memory before.
But its' price fluctuation so huge that we can't choose memory.
Therefore ASRock sales did new promotion for more CPU on Newegg like below:

ASRock DiskMini GTX1060
+ Core i5-7500 = 799.99
+ Core i5-7600 = 819.99
+ Core i7-7700 = 899.99

Compare to Desktop GTX1060 6GB graphics card price on newegg, i believe this combo sale should be a bit more attractive.

Reactions: 1461748123

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I
We did internal discussion of hard bundle with SO-DIMM memory before.
But its' price fluctuation so huge that we can't choose memory.
Therefore ASRock sales did new promotion for more CPU on Newegg like below:

ASRock DiskMini GTX1060
+ Core i5-7500 = 799.99
+ Core i5-7600 = 819.99
+ Core i7-7700 = 899.99

Compare to Desktop GTX1060 6GB graphics card price on newegg, i believe this combo sale should be a bit more attractive.
Wish you all would do a bundle for the 1080 varient :( I'd be more prone to go that route if you did

Reactions: warfreak131

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
But if the 1060 is the one you're sticking with make them keep the deal going till the 24th or do another one around then so I can throw my money at you guys .I get a bonus check on the 23rd lol

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Working on it, but likely a ways out yet. I mostly just like to tease stuff.

@Kmpkt

Come on man, maybe just a rough sketch or something...?!?

Thoughts towards a giant custom (footprint of motherboard) heatsink that spans both GPU & CPU, and is the actual 'top' of the chassis...?

(...could be passive, could have embedded / inset fans...)

@ASRock System

Release date for Z370 DeskMini systems & possibility of a 1070 Ti version...?

Bundles with i7-8700 / i7-8700K CPUs...?

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Come on man, maybe just a rough sketch or something...?!?

The project with Josh, while originally modest in it intent, has apparently gotten away on me. As I should have expected when asking @Josh | NFC to design this particular enclosure, the scope of the build has become slightly more ambitious than I had originally intended (not a complaint!). This unit may or may not end up being a production unit and is something I need to discuss with him further at this point.

As far as a production model goes, I am also working on a case that will accept not just the Micro STX motherboard, but also two of my upcoming heatsinks (KMPKT Curve) - one on the MXM card and one on the CPU. If design continues in the current direction, rough dimensions would be around 247mm tall, 153mm long and 65mm wide for a total of 2.46L. Unlike the Deskmini GTX, my enclosure will not require an external AC-DC brick, instead relying on an internally mounted HDPlex 300W AC-DC PSU to provide power.

I expect the case will be a bit chunkier in its aesthetic than something like an S4M, but significantly thinner in profile than the existing Deskmini GTX enclosure. I figure the tradeoff of having the capacity to easily/quietly cool an 8700K/GTX 2080 MXM will be worth it.

The idea with this case would be to 3D print them to order on my new Markforged Mark Two unit which has a build volume of 320 mm x 132 mm x 154 mm.

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
But a limited run of the S0 NANO with a milled exotic hardwood shell and titanium panels with a billet frame and internal custom heatsink...that is what I am thinking...

The project with Josh, while originally modest in it intent, has apparently gotten away on me. As I should have expected when asking @Josh | NFC to design this particular enclosure, the scope of the build has become slightly more ambitious than I had originally intended (not a complaint!). This unit may or may not end up being a production unit and is something I need to discuss with him further at this point.

As far as a production model goes, I am also working on a case that will accept not just the Micro STX motherboard, but also two of my upcoming heatsinks (KMPKT Curve) - one on the MXM card and one on the CPU. If design continues in the current direction, rough dimensions would be around 247mm tall, 153mm long and 65mm wide for a total of 2.46L. Unlike the Deskmini GTX, my enclosure will not require an external AC-DC brick, instead relying on an internally mounted HDPlex 300W AC-DC PSU to provide power.

I expect the case will be a bit chunkier in its aesthetic than something like an S4M, but significantly thinner in profile than the existing Deskmini GTX enclosure. I figure the tradeoff of having the capacity to easily/quietly cool an 8700K/GTX 2080 MXM will be worth it.

The idea with this case would be to 3D print them to order on my new Markforged Mark Two unit which has a build volume of 320 mm x 132 mm x 154 mm.

So you tease with the chassis, AND now more teasing with custom CPU & GPU heat sinks...!?! ;^p

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
They have stated that after testing, they came to conclusion that thecurrent generation of AMD Ryzen CPUs are not feasible for the platform. Even the models in 65W range due to heat output and power consumption.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Pretty sure they've already addressed this, but I believe they said the AM4 socket and required hardware is too big for Mini STX.

Reactions: AleksandarK

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
You won't even need ot once the z370version releases 8700 or k varient would be perfect for a mini workstation .I'd probably say do the 8700 just because of temps but

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Ah I see. Well, if they say so...

You won't even need ot once the z370version releases 8700 or k varient would be perfect for a mini workstation .I'd probably say do the 8700 just because of temps but

The big advantage of the Ryzen APU would be graphics. The integrated Vega graphics perform 10-15% better than a GT 1030 (according to leaks, we'll find out for sure in a few days).

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Ah I see. Well, if they say so..
The big advantage of the Ryzen APU would be graphics. The integrated Vega graphics perform 10-15% better than a GT 1030 (according to leaks, we'll find out for sure in a few days).
My thing is, if the price remains nearly what it is now it would be a poor market decision for them to release, who would go for a system with hardly better than it 1030 performance when they could have a 6 core CPU and a 1060 or better for the same price.