News ASRock show-off Micro-STX system with MXM & TB3 @CES 2017

Hi All

ASRock are happy to display our new model - Deskmini RX/GTX @CES 2017.
You can get more picture in :https://www.cool3c.com/article/116315/CES-2017-華擎展出具可擴充-MXM-獨立顯示卡的-micro-STX-主機板原型主機

This is prototype of Deskmini RX/GTX
Considering there are so many SFF enthusiasts still need more powerful 3D graphics performance, why don't we extend Mini-STX to larger board: based on 5x5 screw holes but implement MXM, more video outputs, m.2 connectors, even Thunderbolt 3!

And that is world's firsts' MICRO-STX system:
  • Support up to Intel® Core i7 7700K CPU
  • Support Intel box cooler
  • Intel Z270 (B250) Chipset
  • Support MXM Type B, up to 120W
    • RX = AMD RX480/470/460
    • GTX = NVIDIA GTX1060
  • Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C
  • 3 x M.2 2260/2280 slots
  • 1 x M.2 2230 Wi-Fi slot
  • AURA RGB LED connector!
  • Support Intel® Optane™ Technology
  • 2.x Liter!
  • 19V/220W adapter
ASRock planned sell barebones (include motherboard, MXM card, MXM cooler, chassis and adapter) and open mind corporate with system builder to develop new mini PC in micro STX motherboard. It should be launched on 2017 Q2.

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Well it would be at least $500 cheaper since a 1080 MXM goes for about $1200 and I don't imagine the barebones kit costing more than $300. The board will probably be in the $100-120 vicinity and you can get a brick for $100 and the SilverStone case for $30-50? Information on which cards are compatible would come out pretty quickly I'd imagine. A heatsink would be hard to find at first as I don't imagine ASRock would sell them separately. I'd definitely prefer to buy the whole kit and I'd pay a premium for that + I want to support them, but not $500. The 1080 MXM is already 2.5 times more expensive than the regular card, 3.5 times would be almost offensive haha. So I hope they drop the price. Some people may also be interested in the 1050 or 1050 Ti.

I really hope we get more information on pricing and release soon! I'm super excited about 2L powerhouses.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I don't think the Clevo 1080 cards are compatible since the Micro-STX boards don't have auxiliary power connectors for the MXM card.

Reactions: AleksandarK

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Not the Clevo ones, but the ones meant for MSI/Alienware. Like this 1070:

NVIDIA GTX 1070 / N17E-G2; 8GB DDR5; MXM 3.0 Module;150W; Upgrade Kit; MSI / AW

And here it is used with a 30-day warranty for $550 (!)

NVidia GTX 1070 8GB N17E-G2-A1 Video Graphics Card GPU106

(if I'm not allowed to post links to EBay then please delete and I apologize).

I'm pretty sure it will work because sergiiua used the 1060 from the same line, meant for the same laptop. His board couldn't boot initially, but then ASRock sent him an updated BIOS and it worked.

I think regardless of anything, it goes to show that prices have the potential to go way down. Because really all it is is a different PCB. Very densely packed, but still manufacturing cost is not that much more, like ASRock's X99 board wasn't much more expensive than the ATX versions.

Last edited:

benjiro

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2017
They are really taking there time with this. First showed it off in January and then again and again. Silverstone has show there rvz04-prototype for the last two month ( wast full in space with all that plastic ... 3.8L ).

MSI is already pushing there MSI Vortex G25. Its even smaller with 2.5L compared to the DeskMini MMX ( 2.7L ). And that looks like a great competitor. 9 heatpipes?? 2.5cm ... Thunderbolt3 unlike Asrock saying that the DeskMini MXM might not have it included :(

The market is going to heat up...

benjiro

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2017
I think the biggest holdup is MXM cards. If they can't guarantee aftermarket availability then the form factor is DOA.

Availability and price ... Very few people want to spend double to triple. Its not like they are selling laptops ( what is the prices they are asking ). I am starting to think a compact ITX GPU + STX may have more future. Not as small but still compact.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
A PIO-style slot on the top edge of an STX board could push things under what you could achieve with ITX even with a flex riser.

benjiro

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2017
Decided to go the Mini-ITX route with a MIni-1070 GPU. By going with a custom case like the CustomMod Mini Alu:

270 MxM: 210 mm x 81.9 mm x 157.5 mm ( Metal version )
CM Mini : 180 mm x 100.0 mm x 180.0 mm ( Alu Base version )

The difference is minimal and it can use a normal 1070. Just draw both on a piece of paper and the difference ends up being so small...

For me the best decision was going with the 3cm longer XL version:

270 MxM: 210 mm x 81.9 mm x 157.5 mm ( Metal version )
CM Mini : 220 mm x 105.0 mm x 180.0 mm ( XL version )

This allows me to install 2 * 15mm 2.5" drives. Impossible in the Deskmini270 what can only hold 7 and 9mm drives.

While the case is more expensive, its also a Aluminium case, cutting down on the weight. Based upon my calculations, the price difference is almost double!

Custom Case ( Alu Case + PSU + Custom design ) 318$ + GTX 1070 400$ + AsRock Ryzen MB 150$ = 870$
The two centimeter less in in wide and depth and two extra M.2 slots, can not compensate for twice the price and potential future expensive issues if MxM does not drop in price.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Wouldn't a better comparison be CM's own 1.0-1.6L Nano Units (150 x 192 x 38mm and 150 x 192 x 59mm respectively). The Akasa/AsRock "270 MxM" case isn't exactly well designed to minimize volume while the CM Mini very obviously is. If we're going to do that, then the CM mini is 2.45x the size of the CM Nano 1.6L and 3.8x the volume of the Nano 1.0L. Furthermore while 1 M.2 and 2 HDDs is nice, I'd personally rather just have 3 M.2 drives. I'm not saying the ITX route isn't a good way to go, especially if you don't need super small and portable to the degree that the Nano affords, but let's compare apples to apples here.

Reactions: EdZ

benjiro

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2017
Wouldn't a better comparison be CM's own 1.0-1.6L Nano Units (150 x 192 x 38mm and 150 x 192 x 59mm respectively). The Akasa/AsRock "270 MxM" case isn't exactly well designed to minimize volume while the CM Mini very obviously is. If we're going to do that, then the CM mini is 2.45x the size of the CM Nano 1.6L and 3.8x the volume of the Nano 1.0L. Furthermore while 1 M.2 and 2 HDDs is nice, I'd personally rather just have 3 M.2 drives. I'm not saying the ITX route isn't a good way to go, especially if you don't need super small and portable to the degree that the Nano affords, but let's compare apples to apples here.

The CM nano can indeed be used for the 270Mxm but the same argumentation is valid. Is potentially twice the price worth it? Do not forget, your facing a few more issues like cooling. With 38mm, your even more height restricted for the CPU/GPU coolers. So forget about putting a 95W 7700k inside that case. Or a GTX 1080, unless you go down the Max-Q downclocked version.

In most scenarios that i read sergiiua has issue with finding a acceptable temperature/noice for the GTX 1060 MxM. We are not even talking 1070/1080...

He needs the bigger 1.6L for a more proper cooling. This 1L case is simply a experiment.

CM Mini : 180 mm x 100.0 mm x 180.0 mm
CM Nano: 192 mm x 59mm x 150

The difference is already a lot less. The big difference being the thickness but that opens up the door off cooling/troteling/max cpu power again ;)

There is a reason why the Desk Mini has 50mm clearance = fan size = cooling capacity.

----

The issue with multiple m.2 is simply: What advantage do you get?

A single m.2 pcie gets close to 3000/2000 R/W. This can be your main OS/Games and other applications or files that benefit from large speed.

What does the other SSD m.2 slots offer more? Assuming you have a 500GB or 1TB main m.2, the rest of the m.2 slots will be used more as storage. Unfortunately, ssd/m.2 is still massive expensive and given the lack of flash memory production now ( high demand ) the prices are going to stay high for the next few years. For the price of a single ssd m.2 500GB, you can pick up a slow Seagate 5TB drive. Giving you much more carry capacity.

Lets say we install 1TB PCIe + 2 * 500GB SSD drives in the Z270MxM. That gives you 2TB in small form factor. But you can also buy a single 2TB for almost the same price in any Mini-ITX board ( SSD/PCIe storage price is fairly linear up to a point ). In other words, multiple m.2s do not give a massive advantage in regards to price / storage. Only if you got crazy with multiple 1TB and break past that linear price point curve.

/Giving it a lot of though :)

---

The CM Nano has indeed a market in people who want the smallest of smallest in there pocket and are not looking for maximum performance. But like with most products, its finding the balance between maximum performance with best cooling with minimalist size :)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
@ASRock System

Do the 1070 and 1080 still require auxiliary power cables or does all power now go through the MXM slot? I've heard conflicting information. Cheers!

alinescoo

Average Stuffer
Feb 3, 2017
Gigabyte Brix VR is an interesting addition to the small lineup, having only 2.6 and a GTX 1060. The downside would be only 7700HQ CPU versus a full class desktop one, but even so, it's ~ $1150 so not bad given its really small size.
Really curious to see the DeskMini price

ASRock System

Trash Compacter
Original poster
ASRock
Aug 29, 2016
www.asrock.com
@ASRock System

Do the 1070 and 1080 still require auxiliary power cables or does all power now go through the MXM slot? I've heard conflicting information. Cheers!

MXM GTX 1070 / 1080 cards from Aetina and TUL don't need extra power.
According to MXM design guide, slots can support up to 240W (or higher), just need one large adapter.
Even there is a four pin connector on MXM PCB...

BTW, CLEVO MXM card can't install on ASRock micro STX board...

All the Best

Last edited:

alinescoo

Average Stuffer
Feb 3, 2017
I am really curious how this is going to evolve... Rumors say that CoffeLake requires new 300 series chipset and new socket so no support for 200 series. So by the time this gets released, probably many will already look into the 6 core as Ryzen oppened the appetit. Maybe there'll be a Z370 MXM if the form factor allows the new CPUs TDPs