News ASRock show-off Micro-STX system with MXM & TB3 @CES 2017

Hi All

ASRock are happy to display our new model - Deskmini RX/GTX @CES 2017.
You can get more picture in :https://www.cool3c.com/article/116315/CES-2017-華擎展出具可擴充-MXM-獨立顯示卡的-micro-STX-主機板原型主機

This is prototype of Deskmini RX/GTX
Considering there are so many SFF enthusiasts still need more powerful 3D graphics performance, why don't we extend Mini-STX to larger board: based on 5x5 screw holes but implement MXM, more video outputs, m.2 connectors, even Thunderbolt 3!

And that is world's firsts' MICRO-STX system:
  • Support up to Intel® Core i7 7700K CPU
  • Support Intel box cooler
  • Intel Z270 (B250) Chipset
  • Support MXM Type B, up to 120W
    • RX = AMD RX480/470/460
    • GTX = NVIDIA GTX1060
  • Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C
  • 3 x M.2 2260/2280 slots
  • 1 x M.2 2230 Wi-Fi slot
  • AURA RGB LED connector!
  • Support Intel® Optane™ Technology
  • 2.x Liter!
  • 19V/220W adapter
ASRock planned sell barebones (include motherboard, MXM card, MXM cooler, chassis and adapter) and open mind corporate with system builder to develop new mini PC in micro STX motherboard. It should be launched on 2017 Q2.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That is my understanding from my conversations with Bill over at AsRock

alinescoo

Average Stuffer
Feb 3, 2017
Thank you for your answer. Are there any rumors when this will be released? Or some price? Deskmini 110 I've used in a compact build with i3 6100, 8 GB RAM and a SSD and works great. Having that + a GPU is just wow considering how pricey is a miniITX build

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I honestly think it will be a while yet. I believe they are trying to work in 1070 and 1080 support if possible and if nothing else, I think there is some refinement that needs to be done yet. I've personally been pushing for an onboard power in header so we aren't entirely dependent on using the 4 pin DIN on the back IO plate.

While it pains me to say this (and I am completely speculating here), I wouldn't be surprised to see it launch at Computex since it will be a really good opportunity to get a mature product some more visibility. Furthermore a release alongside Vega could also prove to be positive if it lives up to the hype for power and efficiency. Right now Vega is slated for Q2 2017.

alinescoo

Average Stuffer
Feb 3, 2017
Computex, if I'm not wrong, is on May's end... so yeah, it could be a potential release.
It will be interesting until then to see how Asus VivoPC X goes as it should be released in March

Thanks again

alinescoo

Average Stuffer
Feb 3, 2017
My main grip with Deskmini110 was the audio jack output which was in the front of the case, not on the back as normal. So for me, having a regular 2.0 stereo speakers, means that I had to always have the speakers cable in front of the case which makes it look ugly. Like really, having that on your desk whole day with a cable in front...

Now, sadly, looking at the pictures from CES I see no audio output on the backplate... This will likely make me turn to other producs

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
An option that might be available is using HDMI on your screen (if it has one), often times these have an audio-out port. Or use an USB DAC, allowing you to ditch the low-end spec integrated one.

alinescoo

Average Stuffer
Feb 3, 2017
Well, you are right but the whole purpose of a compact build is to be compact, not wires all over it or extra "un-needed" usb attachments...

Sure it works fine with a TV, for playing games for instance. It may even work with a HDMI monitor if the DAC inside it is good enough (which usually isn't). Not sure what chipset will AsRock use, but Realtek 1150 seems pretty interesting in terms of performance.

nix

Trash Compacter
Jan 5, 2017
On a slightly related note, I'm a bit disappointed at the limited number of usb ports (4). My current mini-itx board provides me with 8, and I use 4 regularly. I can work with 4 but it means I need to unplug something whenever I attach an infrequently used device like external drive, phone, flash stick etc.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
We have the same problem at work with the NUCs, although they only have two rear ports. Luckily the monitors we use have a 3-port USB hub, so we plug keyboard and mouse on there, with a third one available on the monitor and another port on the NUC. My phone never charges or physically connects to my PC, it uses wireless sync and a dedicated charger so it can recharge at night without my PC on. Hubs aren't ideal, but still a solution.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The lack of USB3 ports is a real worry for VR. The front panel with one Type A and one Type C with HDMI Alternate Mode would be great for connecting the HMD itself, but having only two USB 3.0 ports left at the rear is going to be a pain for a 3/4 camera rig (not to mention any other peripherals you may want to use) meaning you'd need to start juggling USB hubs. The spec sheet lists two USB 2.0 'side' connectors, though these are not visible on the board, and there are only two USB 2.0 internal headers that could be broken out to 4 more USB 2.0 ports. With a custom case adding more 'wasted' room on the rear side you could start using the m2 ports with adpters to PCIe USB 3,0 cards, but then you have to deal with dodgy USB host controllers rather than using the perfectly adequate Intel controller in the PCH.

Reactions: Phuncz

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
These things look so exciting. I might wait a bit more instead of building an ITX Ryzen rig.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I literally JUST realized that TB3 is on this MB…!

This could be a contender for a HackMini Pro…!

Shame the TB3 is not he front though, would make for cleaner cabling if it were on the back…

This is gonna make May the longest month ever…!