News ASRock Rack ROMED4ID-2T Deep-ITX

Behold, the much requested EYPC 7002 (not quite) ITX board! The ROMED4ID-2T!

Well, it's the new Deep-ITX form factor, not to be confused with DTX.

Plus you will need a few of these for those slimline U.2 cables:

The board is covered in Slimline SAS PCIe 4.0 x8 (SFF-8654) ports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and Arboreal

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
SMEAGOL WANTS IT !! THE PRECIOUS !!

These boards will be the awesomest server setup in about 2.5 - 3 years when most enteprises will be selling their EPYC 7xx2 (2nd gen) systems for 7xx4 (4th gen).
Also, the power connector is 1x 4-pin + 2x 8-pin. The extra 1x 4-pin is for SATA power (from the board).

• Haha
Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I'm curious to see how many SFF cases would work with the Deep-ITX form factor. The size is 6.7"x 8.2" or 170.18mm x 208.28mm.

I also wonder what a normal AMD Ryzen or Intel Core Deep-ITX board would look like. You could stick a lot of RAM on it and have it work with a sandwich case.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I wonder if it can fit the Ncase M1, as the original version had an ATX PSU option which mounted the PSU towards the front instead the side. With an ATX to SFB bracket, this might make enough of clearance, but I'm unsure if it's still possible with the current versions and if no other brackets are in the way.

Theorically it would fit in the Silverstone CS01-HS case, but you'd lose your only fan mount which is going to be an issue in an EPYC based build.

It wouldn't fit in the LZ7 or In Win Chopin, the other ITX cases I have. That's the insight I can offer. I'm sure there will be cases ideal for this board, but there should be care taken to cool the board's heatsinks that expect a serious amount of airflow.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I wonder if it can fit the Ncase M1, as the original version had an ATX PSU option which mounted the PSU towards the front instead the side. With an ATX to SFB bracket, this might make enough of clearance, but I'm unsure if it's still possible with the current versions and if no other brackets are in the way.

Theorically it would fit in the Silverstone CS01-HS case, but you'd lose your only fan mount which is going to be an issue in an EPYC based build.

It wouldn't fit in the LZ7 or In Win Chopin, the other ITX cases I have. That's the insight I can offer. I'm sure there will be cases ideal for this board, but there should be care taken to cool the board's heatsinks that expect a serious amount of airflow.
Since version 6.0 you no longer need the additional bracket to mount the SFX in the front position. Necere did this for NH-C12S mounting with 140mm fan.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Any case that could fit FlexATX or "weird smaller mATX boards" should be able to fit this. So that means the M1, the NR200, most "classic" layout cases.

You absolutely shouldn't, however. There's no reason other than e-peen waving to run EPYC Rome in an SFF like this. If you really need lots of cores like this buy a Threadripper Pro workstation...

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The issue is that there are not mITX Threadripper boards, the smallest that I know is mATX. This is also a server board which is far from ideal for workstation duties (minutes long startup, lacking in I/O and audio, etc.) but for people looking into a server build, this opens up new options.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I wonder if it can fit the Ncase M1, as the original version had an ATX PSU option which mounted the PSU towards the front instead the side.
As @rfarmer said, as of V6 you can mount the SFX bracket to the front of the case, leaving plenty of space for this board (and FYI the ATX bracket is still included as well). The board is only 38mm longer than standard mini-ITX, so should be able to fit in any ITX case that leaves that area free (as well as mATX/ATX cases).

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Going to spitball some ideas.

Idea 1: How to add external SAS-HD ports.
Use a Slim SAS SFF-8654 4i 38pin Host to Mini SAS HD SFF-8643 36pin cable -> connect to this adapter (Startech SFF86448PLT2).

Idea 2: Adding another PCIE slot
Use a Slim SAS SFF-8654 4i 38pin Host to Mini SAS HD SFF-8643 36pin cable -> connect to this adapter (DeLOCK 62788).

Idea 3: Internal Wifi
Use this adapter (DeLOCK 63343) in the M.2 M-Key slot and the USB 2.0 slot -> Fit an E-Key Wifi m.2 module onto the adapter - > Fit a bracket on the expansion slot for the antenna.

Idea 4a: Adding USB 3.0 Headers
Use this adapter (DeLOCK 62843) in the M.2 M-Key slot -> Go crazy

Idea 4b: Adding a USB 3.2 Gen 2 Port
Use this adapter (DeLOCK 63174) in the M.2 M-Key slot -> Again go crazy (Do bare in mind this is not a 19-pin header, but a type c port)

Idea 5: Adding sound to the board
Use this cable (Any external DAC/Cable will do, AudioQuest DragonFly anyone?) in one of the rear USB ports.

It's an odd puzzle trying to figure out how to make server boards work as if they were normal boards. These were some ideas had while trying to see if the Asrock Rack X570 boards could work for workstation use.

Last edited:

TLN

Average Stuffer
Mar 9, 2020
Going to spitball some ideas.

Idea 1: How to add more 10G Ethernet ports.
Use a Slim SAS SFF-8654 4i 38pin Host to Mini SAS HD SFF-8643 36pin cable -> connect to this adapter (Startech SFF86448PLT2).
This doesn't get you 10G ports, that gets you external SAS-HD ports.

It's an odd puzzle trying to figure out how to make server boards work as if they were normal boards. These were some ideas had while trying to see if the Asrock Rack X570 boards could work for workstation use.
I don't have exact X570 board from Asrock Rack, but I'm doing pretty fine with Asrock Rack EPC612D4U-2T8R (aka mATX with 10G and SAS onboard): https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ypical-nas-or-20tb-of-ssds-in-sff-case.12807/

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018

joelypolly

Efficiency Noob
Jan 13, 2020
I have the Asrock Rack X570 itx board and there are some gotchas like no direct control over the fan curve except via IPMItool or no XMP support but other than that its pretty solid.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
According to the Linus Tech Tips build video using this, you can configure the fan curve on this via IPMI gui, so that's handy.

I'm kinda wanting to pick up a 7443p and one of these when available; 24 Zen 3 cores at $55/core, turbo to 4ghz, 200W TDP, 10G on board, RDIMMS, what more could you ask for?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
According to the Linus Tech Tips build video using this, you can configure the fan curve on this via IPMI gui, so that's handy.

I'm kinda wanting to pick up a 7443p and one of these when available; 24 Zen 3 cores at $55/core, turbo to 4ghz, 200W TDP, 10G on board, RDIMMS, what more could you ask for?
The 7443p is $1,337 MSRP (yes those are the right numbers according to STH - the processor is "leet"). That's quite the chunk of change.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
The 7443p is $1,337 MSRP (yes those are the right numbers according to STH - the processor is "leet"). That's quite the chunk of change.
Compares reasonably to (actual price) of a 5950X, or to 3rd-gen rippers, though.

Last edited:

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
FYI, if anyone was waiting, this is now shipping (from a 3rd-party seller) on newegg; ASRock also has a beta BIOS update available with support for Milan CPUs. Got mine coming, will see about posting up build once I get my hands on a CPU.

Update: 3rd-party seller turned out to be a scammer, whoops. Now I gotta find another place to source this from.

Last edited:

mknrls

Caliper Novice
Oct 12, 2019
FYI, if anyone was waiting, this is now shipping (from a 3rd-party seller) on newegg; ASRock also has a beta BIOS update available with support for Milan CPUs. Got mine coming, will see about posting up build once I get my hands on a CPU.
Amazing news! hope mine ships soon (currently still on pre-order). What kind of ecc memory did you get?