Selling ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac $75 + shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
We used a ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 for the testbench of our 1080 mini review.
It's a terrific motherboard and it was an absolute pleasure to work with.
I highly recommend it to anyone interested.

Good luck with the sale!

thanks mod! I loved it too but the type C isn't a TRUE thunderbolt 3 port. but the z270 one is :)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I know I compiled some of the PCIE bifurcation boards awhile back, but wasn't this one of them?

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Yup, it had bifurcation support out of the box.

2x R9 Nanos inside of a 7.2L Dan-cases A4 anyone?
Mind explaining how it supports that compared to others? Is it cause it separates the lanes from the CPU to the GPU to both the GPU and the M.2 instead of through the chipset?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Mind explaining how it supports that compared to others? Is it cause it separates the lanes from the CPU to the GPU to both the GPU and the M.2 instead of through the chipset?
AFAIK it splits the lanes devoted to the GPU into 8x 8x instead of the full 16x. It's been shown however that the performance decrease is pretty negligible. You do however need a special riser in order to use this functionality.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
AFAIK it splits the lanes devoted to the GPU into 8x 8x instead of the full 16x. It's been shown however that the performance decrease is pretty negligible. You do however need a special riser in order to use this functionality.
Yeah, the performance decrease is negligible, I'm just wondering why ASRock went through the trouble of wiring that from the CPU instead of the previously done method of running it through the chipset to enable the use of both the SATA or PCIe bus.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The x16 lanes for the PCIe slot are all from the CPU.

A bifurcation riser splits those x16 into x8/x8. So the chipset isn't involved.

Reactions: Phuncz

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
The x16 lanes for the PCIe slot are all from the CPU.

A bifurcation riser splits those x16 into x8/x8. So the chipset isn't involved.
Yeah, I was wondering why ASRock chose to do it that way instead of through the chipset in boards such as the VII Impact.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The lanes for the main PCIe slot/s are always through the CPU these days.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
The lanes for the main PCIe slot/s are always through the CPU these days.
I get that as well, I just don't understand why they chose to split the lanes from the CPU to the main PCIe slot instead of using ones from the chipset.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The specifics vary by generation, but generally Intel chipsets only have a PCIe 2.0/3.0 x4 link to the CPU.

Reactions: Colinreay

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
All of the I/O through the chipset goes through just 4 PCI-e lanes. That includes all USB, Ethernet, WiFi, M.2/SATA/other storage I/O, and other PCI-e lanes (usually the x1/x2/x4 lanes that aren't for graphics). The chipset is essentially a switch for all of it, dividing up the bandwidth as needed. The PCI-e lanes directly from the processor have no switch in the middle, so they have the low latency communications at full bandwidth.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I have one of these boards. If you're looking to use it for VR, I can confirm it works flawlessly without any USB issues (no need to disable the ASMedia controller), even with 4x tracking cameras.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Just when i decided I was going to go Ryzen... That is a very good price though! Decisions...

Do you have the box, io shield, etc. or is it just the mobo at this point? Is the bios up to date enough to support kaby lake? Any idea what USPS would cost to Canada?

Edit: pmed you my postal code

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
The specifics vary by generation, but generally Intel chipsets only have a PCIe 2.0/3.0 x4 link to the CPU.

Also, AFAIK, part of Nvidia's SLI requirement is that the GPU receives the PCIe lanes directly from the CPU. Also pretty sure that they limit the minimum bandwidth to cards to x8, although it may be able to be circumvented by "faking" it using PLX chips.

AMD allows for x4 lanes for crossfire out of the gate, as well as routing the GPU through the chipset. That's why crossfire boards are cheaper and can be found on non-OC board SKU's like H270 and B150 (as the manufacturer doesn't have to implement expensive PCIe switchers as well as a lot of other stuff that I don't understand/am ignorant of.)

Status
Not open for further replies.