ASRock Deskmini 310.... 12V Possible?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Hoping someone here is more knowledgeable on the subject.... Intel NUCs can support input voltage ranging from 12V to 19V, is there any chance the Deskmini 310 is the same? ASRock does not list the acceptable voltage range in their specs....

Basically have the idea to build a SFF system inside a Unibody Mac Mini (Got this idea after the disappointment that is the overpriced 2018 Mac Mini). The Deskmini 310 would be a near perfect fit and if I could actually use the stock internal Mac Mini 85watt 12V power adapter that would be great.

Ultimate goal would be to have a "modular" system where one Mac Mini housing holds the board and cpu where another stacked on top or below would hold a GPU. I would use the M.2 port on the Deskmini for my GPU socket. Purely concept phase right now though.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
I doubt it, but there do exist relatively small 12v to 19v adapters for use in cars and airplanes, 90w the size of 2 "C" battery cells.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I doubt it, but there do exist relatively small 12v to 19v adapters for use in cars and airplanes, 90w the size of 2 "C" battery cells.

90W??? Not enough. I have been searching, and found a 12-19V adapter in the form of a CC BEC PRO, designed for RC stuff, that works great at 200W.

Reactions: thewizzard1

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Those DC converters look like a decent solution. I should have enough space in the case for one. Was just hoping to be able to get away with 12v.

Reactions: thewizzard1

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
@Zackmd1 My 310 works fine on 12V with a Pentium G5400 on board. Just tried it :D

Excellent! Thanks! Yea the 310 is just about the perfect size to fit in the mac mini unibody and being able to use the OEM power supply will just make it that much easier and a more complete "mac" experience. Up next is to figure out a thermal solution and whether or not the sodimm will be to tall.

Also, Anyone know if they make M.2 extension "cables"? I am thinking something similar to a PCIE riser but for m.2. Idea is to use the M.2 port for the GPU and have an external cable run from the top stacked mini to the bottom which will house the GPU. Using another mac mini power supply could be possible with a 1050ti. A 1060 mini will physically fit but will likely need an external power brick.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
@confusis

Another question for you.... Does the deskmini support video out through the USB C port? I am trying to see if something like this would work for my rear panel IO since the positioning of the STX board in the housing is not ideal for rear IO alignment. If I could sub the rear io for a hub like this, it would make everything easier.

Anker USB C Hub, 5-in-1 Premium USB C Adapter with Ethernet Port, 4K USB C to HDMI, 3 USB 3.0 Ports, for MacBook Pro 2016/2017, ChromeBook, XPS and More USB Type C Devices (Space Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G83L1J/?tag=theminutiae-20

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@confusis

Another question for you.... Does the deskmini support video out through the USB C port? I am trying to see if something like this would work for my rear panel IO since the positioning of the STX board in the housing is not ideal for rear IO alignment. If I could sub the rear io for a hub like this, it would make everything easier.

Anker USB C Hub, 5-in-1 Premium USB C Adapter with Ethernet Port, 4K USB C to HDMI, 3 USB 3.0 Ports, for MacBook Pro 2016/2017, ChromeBook, XPS and More USB Type C Devices (Space Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G83L1J/?tag=theminutiae-20

It's just USB 3.1, not thunderbolt, and as such, no video out. Sorry. :/

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
It's just USB 3.1, not thunderbolt, and as such, no video out. Sorry. :/

The 12 inch macbook is usb 3.1 only as well yet still supports video out. The port does not have to be thunderbolt to support video out. That being said, it only supports 4k 30hz...

Reactions: Windfall